I'm close to quiting Tanking.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Scr1nRusher

the range of AV and lock ons are insane.

its like how can we push a point when we can't even move forward?
  2. EliteEskimo

First off I'd like to clarify you are the same person that said made the statement "pulling a tank has no disadvantages", now that we have that out of the way...

1. A tank is something you play with and there is a playstyle surrounding them just like their are Liberator/ESF/Galaxy pilots. Which infantry class you use to compliment that playstyle is up to you, but it is a playstyle. When you get into a tank and die with a tank you can't be revived, you die as the tank. Being a dedicated tanker is only as short sited as you make it out to be or as your imagination lets you be with the tank. You can Destroy all armor in the area protecting your own Sunderers, Kill mission critical sunderers to effectively win the battle for your team, shoot air out of the sky if you're a decent shot, or kill infantry players of organized outfits. Once those tasks are accomplished you have done a great service to your faction if not outright winning a particular battle for your faction in the case of killing the Sunderers in the area, and can then move onto the next available important battle that you can influence them in a tank. Now would I pull a tank to help fight a fight going on inside a biolab? No, but then again who said being a dedicated tanker meant being in a tank 100% of the time?

2. Your logic is flawed regarding losing one asset to another if one asset is being lost to another in a way that is not balanced. For instance the AV turret is an asset that costs 0 resources and can kill you while being unrendered. Does the fact that it is also a tool make it acceptable that it can easily kill MBT's while being in an invisible/invincible state? No it doesn't. C4 landing the ground in front of a MBT's front armor and killing it on full health is also not acceptable but that's just another example

3. It's funny/ironic that you should mention soloing as a problem in Planetside 2. If it weren't for the fact that infantry players think they should be 0 resource cost 1 man armies that can solo a full health MBT from any angle until they succeed then the game would be far better off. People in tanks wouldn't have to worry about every single infantry person approaching them outside of an Infiltrator being able to solo them, or randomly dying to a random LA from directly above after bailing from an ESF. If it weren't for this solo type mentality 2 sticks of C4 would put in full health MBT in the red. Unfortunately the moment that change hit the test server the tears of dedicated infantry players cried out, and eventually it became a "bug".

4. The only reason the game doesn't currently provide an excellent realm for tanking is because the developers don't spend enough time in vehicles to understand the problems associated with vehicles They don't understand that the AV turret/Lancer is still broken and ruins open field battles by not rendering. They don't understand that creating more and more bases, instead of making the current ones much better, actually ruins the vehicle aspect of planetside 2 by allowing for less open fields between bases.
    • Up x 9
  3. LT_Latency

Tank are fine.

Tanks are a 2 person vehicle. Which means you have 2 people building resources for your tanks. You should be able to keep a tank up most of the time by switching back and forth with a gunner. You basically have 2 tanks to earn enough points and live long enough for your timer to reset. Unless you screw up big time twice in a row you should be able to do this with without much issue.

If you get desperate you can ask someone who doesn't like vehicles to pull a tank and give it to you or you can spend a few minutes playing something else or jump into a random tank while you wait.

Most of the time you can just jump out of the tank and redeploy if you know you have lost so you don't die. Enemies will focus the tank over you most of the time as they know that is worth alot more points
  4. Scr1nRusher

oh i remember that freakout on reddit about it.
    • Up x 2
  5. JudgeNu

Get out of your tank and take point.

Use it as a decoy.

you don't need it anymore.

Possibly get in the air and blow them off the rock in which they dwell.
    My guess is they were there waiting for you.
  6. ata98

use the harasser like i do it's farming machine , dont forget to fully cert the stealth and turbo

you can kill too many infantry and run away and if you have full stealth + IR SMOKE none can use LOCK RL on you
    it's also fun to play with your friend , but you need to be a very good driver , gunner part is not that hard

tanks are big and slow

and if you see a mines in the road click turbo and you will not die
  7. FaLI3N

The only reason I ever pull a HE tank is when we are completely overwhelmed by infantry and out-popped. Might pull one once a month tops and as a near-exclusive AP vehicle hunter I never get c4'd. I don't even know how you manage to get c4'd whilst hunting armor. It literally makes no sense to me at all. The only time I ever get c4'd in an AP tank is when I lockdown in one spot for too long in a prowler or if I get stuck in the rubble of a vehicle I just killed and they c4 me before they render.
  8. EliteEskimo

There was a freakout on the forums too, so many bad arguments were made by infantry players however unfortunately their tears about not being able to solo a full health MBT instead of doing 90% damage was an outrageous suggestion.
    • Up x 1
  9. ata98

I use my drifer jet and c4 to kill camping ap tanks
  10. Chrispin

C4 fairies, AV MANA turrets, and heavy assaults can respawn. Tanks can't.

Furthermore, AV MANA turrets can see tanks before tanks can see them.

If you die in a tank, sometimes it's actually not your fault but the game's. There's literally no way to counter the AV MANA turret sometimes besides just not spawning a tank in the first place. If you're out of infantry render range then there's no way to locate it or even use teamwork to tell an ESF to go kill it.

What we need is less "infantry vs tanks" and more "tanks vs tanks".
    • Up x 2
  11. Lamat

There has to be a predator/prey balance though. Without tanks being used to kill infantry there would be far less tanks to hunt. You pretty much need a viper lightning or 2 to protect your tanks and sundies from enemy infantry.
  12. Chrispin

If tanks become less AI focused then harassers will be more useful, and we all know harassers are great tank bait. IMO the lightning could probably keep some of its AI ability because it has lighter armor, but really most of the infantry vs tank gameplay needs to be toned down and reworked.
  13. p10k56

C4 happens, Av mine happens.
    What bother me most when somebody makes 200+m direct hit on my tank with Decimator.
  14. Flashtirade

In the eyes of some infantry players, vehicle play will never be considered valid. The only vehicle they care about is the Sunderer, and only because it allows for more infantry fighting. Unfortunately, a lot of the changes that have happened or were planned but scrapped due to massive backlash seem to suggest that the devs think this as well. I came to this game back near release expecting to be a front line tanker, but I am barely staying interested as most of my time is spent participating in a larger than average arena shooter.
    • Up x 2
  15. LT_Latency

In massive battles of 100 people do you really expect things not to get destroyed on the front lines?? When 15 people start shooting you......You are going to pop no matter what you are.
  16. Bill

Simply quit this game, there are much more much better games out there without balance screwed so heavy, and well known hackers running on daily basics without soe response...
  17. STR1D3R109

If you keep getting C4'd the obvious reasons are either your too close to the front lines so easy target, you left your brakes on by accident or your going up against decent platoons ;P

Go switch to a light assault and see how many tank kills you can get, You'll gain the learning experience to know how to stay away from hunters ;P
    • Up x 1
  18. FaLI3N

Well don't camp. He called himself a "tanker" in the OP, usually meaning that he hunts vehicles and doesn't follow the zerg. This playstyle dramatically lowers your chances of being c4'd. Besides that you just need to pay attention and avoid sitting still in areas with overhangs. I nearly always fire on the move so it is hard for infantry to sneak up on me I guess.

Yes I do know that drifters are amazing for horizontal flight and I have used them myself to great effect but I can honestly say that despite using AV tanks as my main playstyle for quite a long time with all 3 factions I have not once been killed by a drifter c4 fairy. I think if I was ever killed by a drifter c4 fairy I would congratulate them and blame myself.
  19. TekDragon

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/TekGriffon

BR 100, over 3,000 vehicle kills in tanks.

I have died to C4 many times. Every single time has been avoidable had I played better.

OP is a bad player. Not because he dies, we all die, but because he whines like a little b*tch.
  20. Ranik

True indeed. Over the course of the game we've watch bad balance decision after bad balance decision fall on Vehicle gameplay. Originating from the spammability (everyone can pull anything, at any time) of vehicles.

And the Devs have been in a death spiral of nerfs since they refuse to fix the core issue for fear of alienating some casual players and instead alienate far more by forcing the name of the game to be Spam + Crappy Gameplay.