If you don't want me to farm, stop punishing me for my job.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by deggy, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Paperlamp

If tanks are powerful, and everyone can pull one, there's an issue.

It's the resource and CD system. Everyone and their mother can pull a tank and have tons of them just zerging through the map until they hit on of the highly defensible bases. If they made them stronger or infantry AV weapons weaker, it'd exacerbate the problem until you might get more tank vs. tank fights but there'd be way less infantry and infantry players would really hate tanks.

They need to find a more meaningful way to substantially limit how many players can pull tanks and how frequently. This of course means dedicated tankers might end up spending less time in tanks. Right now I can often go from Lightning to Lightning or Prowler with few breaks in between if I want to, which is a big part of the problem since that's the case with every single player in the game.
    • Up x 2
  2. MarkAntony

Seeing as I can easily kill infantry from distance with my AV cannon I really don't.

Let me elaborate: The same skillset and loadout that lets me take on enemy vehicles from long range allows me to snipe infantry up to 300m. I OHK infantry with my AP cannon. Granted I have to hit them directly but 2x zoom + good velocity makes it possible. Is it as Effective as HEAT/HE at suppressing enemy infantry defenses (that's what tanks are actually doing not "farming")? No. But it's close enough and I get to hunt vehicles (cert pinatas).

The exception is AA. Once the enemy Air is gone my skyguard is next to useless. Sure i can kill some infantry in close range but that's gonna end up with me and my skyguard dead.
  3. deggy

What prompted this thread was this situation:

I was on Esamir (which was almost completely not-purple that night) pushing up with the VS toward a Bio Lab. Command had been irritating each other all night, and we finally managed to pull ourselves together to go for our second Bio Lab of a Dome Domination, just to keep people from rage-quitting. We were making a beeline for Mani.

We owned the Warpgate and two facilities on that continent. As we moved out of the Gate, we met a massive Vanguard column, which vaporized the first few units unlucky enough to fall into its line of sight.

Several folks in Command coordinated an AP tank pull, and a group of 2/2 AP Mags floated out of the Gate with Skyguard support protecting them. We WIPED that armor. It was beautiful, all those guys are now on my friends list. There had to have been at least 50 Vanguards killed during that fight.

Then we attacked Mani Fortress, got pushed back, and went into that back-and-forth that happens between facilities. Eventually the Vanguards stopped coming because the TR took Eisa from the NC. Then the Lightnings stopped coming because the NC were out of vehicle resources.

I was still sitting on a paltry 100-something mechanized, in an AP tank, being shot at by nothing but infantry. I can't afford another vehicle if I need one later, but the fact that I performed so well in my tank means that I have no targets. Under those circumstances, I can't abandon the vehicle.
  4. deggy

It must be nice to have good velocity, I wouldn't really know what that's like. The fastest tank gun I have access to fires at 225m/s and arcs like a tennis ball.
  5. HadesR

Tticky one to call. Just increasing XP for vehicles will not change much .. It will just mean a bit more income until you move to infantry once all the vehicles are gone.
  6. MarkAntony

I think the Manguard's AP gun has got 275m/s. 20% better. I kinda feel your pain. Still don't see how that would make it impossible to snipe infantry with it. Especially since the magrider is exceptional at surviving dumbfires.
    I kinda use the same rules as when sniping with BASRs. Get in a position where you can hit target when they "feel" safe (think they are behind cover but you've flanked them) and then kill stationary targets. The velocity only allows me to hit moving targets easier so it should still work for your tennis ball (btw I think when pros play they move faster than our tank rounds)
  7. Alarox

I use an AV Vanguard because:
    1.) I get more points killing vehicles than I do farming infantry.
    2.) It is much more fun than killing infantry.

The reward for killing vehicles is fine. 30-45k score/hour regularly for me.

What isn't fine is that you're stuck into that role even after vehicles die, which I agree with. Let me at least deconstruct my vehicle for 50% of the resources back if you're not going to let me change equipment.
  8. Iksniljiksul

Remove spawn rooms.

Killing infantry is not farming. Farming revolves completely around the absurd spawn room system. Getting to a battle only to find everyone camped out around one room is so damn boring!
  9. TheFamilyGhost

If you aid your team, are you really punished? Isn't there a certain amount of reward in knowing one has contributed to the success of their team?

Regarding farming, if there were no sheep, there would be no farms.
  10. LordCreepy

Drive to a vehicle pad/munition tower and you are able to switch your loadout --- Oh wait you're not.

The whole issue could be adressed with this change.

However I do not agree on the cert part. If I focus on AV I am usually scoring higher / hour than against infantry.
    Funny enough fighting ground vehicles is usually easier than fighting infantry..
  11. Axehilt

But in your theoretical scenario, there's a Sunderer left!

That's not the time an AV tank is "totally worthless". It's the case where your tank has the best chance of singlehandedly winning the battle. Sunderers are the heart of any attack force, and if you kill them the attack fails.

After you kill it, it's sort of fine for your tank to feel useless for a while, since you just singlehandedly won the battle and cashed in on 1k XP (Sunderer) plus whatever infantry kills were involved.

Certainly there are some sundy locations where a tank can't make the kill as well as an ESF, and in those cases it can make sense to switch. But it's also not like you don't have the option of a secondary gun which is as flexible or specialized as the situation demands.

Also my point from earlier posts remains: I don't get 805 SPM with Prowler AP by farming infantry (~14% of my kills) but by killing vehicles (~86%). And in that respect the playstyle is extremely well-rewarded.

Admittedly on my Magrider the SPM of my HEAT variant (325) comes out slightly ahead of the AP variant (312), but for you you're seeing over twice the SPM with AP (185) as HEAT (98). Seems pretty well-rewarded to me, no?
  12. MarkAntony

Ditto. I usually net 35k an hour doing AV duty. But I still maintain that you can effectively (not as effectively as HE but still) kill infantry with the AP main gun.

But even with what I have said in this thread I support a "loadout change" mechanic. Just like a "roll through warpgate to another continent" mechanic.
  13. EliteEskimo

All vehicles are "Force Multipliers" but that doesn't mean you can't make fun and exciting playstyles out of them. This seems to be a concept you can't wrap your infantryside 2 mind around. There is skill involved which separates good tankers and bad tankers, just like there is skill separating good pilots and bad pilots or good and bad infantry players.

It's a combined arms games with ground vehicles, aircraft, and infantry. If you can't accept that you might want to find another game, try CS:GO. By the way infantry can *Curls fingers* "farm" too whenever they spam the UBGL, set up AI turrets outside of spawn rooms, or camp the exits of spawn rooms themselves. A tank killing infantry to defend itself is not farming. A tank shooting infantry around a Sunderer instead of shooting directly at the Sunderer, or shelling a spawn room is farming.

You have literally no say as to who can have a certain vehicle be their main playstyle. Some people love flying ESF's, others like being Liberators pilots, a select few make great galaxy pilots, and there are those like myself and Deggy that enjoy tanking. If vehicles weren't meant to be used as a playstyle then there wouldn't be an option to heavily cert into their cool down timers, or give me the ability to spend over 9000 certs on my tank to make it awesome.
    • Up x 2
  14. DeadliestMoon

How else do you hope to recapture the point? Theres no end of a round, a base capture is a bit like a battle of attrition.
  15. Alarox

The most effective way to break a siege (battle of attrition) isn't to push out from inside the base that you're completely surrounded in. It is to get forces from another base and sandwich the attacking forces. This is true in-game and IRL.

People choose to sit in spawn rooms instead of moving to another base for a counter-attack because they're:
    1.) Too lazy
    2.) Too incompetent
    3.) Too uncoordinated
    • Up x 1
  16. Chubrokoli

Dont forget the people that are good tankers, pilots and infantry too.
    I use everything i have in this game, thats because its so awesome you can either play supporting role with sundy or use an AP/AI tank or use a lib with dalton/zepher or simply play as infantry.

Then spawn at another base and regroup you know whats coming to you or you can spawn at another base and try to destroy some of the important vehicles.
    If you get farmed at a heavily besieged base then its your own fault, i already saw many steamrolls on my side and on the enemy side and if your side is lucky you get huge reinforcements to win the fight.
  17. DeadliestMoon

You forgot stubborn.
  18. Dtswiss

90% of the fights lost in this game is because people refuse to redeploy, ditch their vehicle or push up.

1. People sit in their tanks and farm the tower or spawn point (I'm sure someone else will go cap the point back I'm busy)
    2. Enemy is crashing the point, ill just go infiltrator and find hill somewhere (Again someone else will push while I pick off people)
    3. Not enough medic or engine, not my problem I play my favorite class (Again someone else will do it)
    4. Tank zerg pushes enemy base, most people don't even go for the point until more infantry zerg arrive...(Hey I just pull my tank I don't want to waist it and I'm getting kills.)
    5. Fighting at a meaningless base while our important base is getting back capped, I'm not going to redeploy, I have my vehicle here or I'm farming kills here. (Again I'm sure others will do it I'm just killing right now)
    6. Farming kills in the spawn shield, while base is being capped.

Have you ever seen the top outfit play? Base Captures on Esamir = Redeploy to defend even if you are on another continent. You move troops where needed and ditch everything. We see an armor column, we pull AV tanks once its done we ditch the tanks and redeploy if needed. The faction that can pull this off constantly will win most alerts but the reality is everyone plays what they wants instead of what is needed to win.

Omg I pull AV tank now there isn't anymore tanks!!!!!! WAAAHHHHHHH instead of crying ditch your vehicle and move somewhere that needs reinforcement!!!!
    • Up x 1
  19. LibertyRevolution

Resource revamp is removing cool down timers, all vehicles will have a set repull time.
    Resource revamp is making only 1 resource type, so now buying nades/c4 will mean no tank for you.
    Resource revamp is making a shared resource pool with your faction, too many players buying nades, no tank for you.

Enjoy your "playstyle" while it lasts, it is going bye bye because infantryside2 is tired of getting spawn shelled. :p
  20. Cyrek

I don't know which server deggy plays on but he's invited to bring as many HE tanks as possible into AP fitted armor columns, tell your friends too.