If you didn't want three factions, why did you put three in?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by PoisonedAl, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Ranik

Yeah it's the whole "capable on it's own" part where your entire theory falls apart.

It's made to be a close range spam AV in a game where that will only help if you are being spawn camped. And if you are being spawn camped you are ****** either way.

Stop trying to tout it as effective when it's highly mediocre.
    • Up x 1
  2. SiosDashcR

It gives you an idea as to where things are headed versus other players who talk about from "their perspective."

SPH averages the "perspective" of everyone else from those doing extremely well and those doing poorly.

If a weapon was a bad as everyone made it out to be or as good, then the SPH for the weapon (as the skill curve for it would be lower) - should be higher.

So altogether, infantry shouldn't stand much of an issue against a MAX? Seems fair.
    Also, Mercies take out infantry with the 8 shots from pre and post patch. I fail to see your problem here and why the TR needs to be the faction continuously with the higher SPH (and I doubt it's because of better players. Better players don't always cry for buffs or whine about nerfs because they're skilled enough to make do with whatever they're doing and that is fact).

HA in general - dominate infantry combat. Go into your local Biolab (at least this is where I noticed them the most) and try to find any other class besides HA. You'll find some, but it's rare.

Btw, that situation is regarding low enemy/ally activity Biolabs. Not full scale fights where MAXes are there.
    • Up x 1
  3. Aegie

Is this the general consensus? Because the only thing OP about NC are the populations on some servers- I have yet to see a reasonable justification for calling NC OP except, perhaps, Hackmaxs prior to the nerf (and even there is some debate considering the NC MAXs were outscoring TR MAXs by about 8.5%, whereas TR MBT is outscoring NC MBT by about 20%).

Just FYI, but most API data from release until as recently as last week has shown TR as the leading faction in terms of score/hour. TR infantry outscore VS and NC, TR MBT outscores VS MBT (by a little) and NC MBT (by a lot), Misquito outscores Reaver, etc., etc.

Also, the change to VS is as much nerf as it is buff- buff to long range combat and nerf to mid range combat. If you map the previous VS bullet damage degradation and the new VS bullet damage degradation you will see that the area under the curve prior to 90m is about equal to the opposite area under the curve beyond 90m- in other words, VS has traded a mid range damage advantage and long range damage disadvantage for neither a mid range advantage or a long range disadvantaged. Many feel this is actually more of a nerf than a buff considering the frequency of fights within 90m.

I can certainly empathize, however, with the feeling- I have been playing mostly LA since late December/January and when I heard the new JJ noise included "explosions" I was pretty upset. After playing with the new sound, however, it is not that bad although IMO it does need some work- there are some high pitched screeches and really loud bangs that I think should be scraped but the middle sounds (loud but not obnoxious) I actually think are an improvement.

Nerfs suck when they happen to something you enjoy- at this point everyone is likely to have experienced this at least once. My advice would be to take a little break from the game and when/if you are ready to come back you will probably not notice the changes as much as you may now.
    • Up x 1
  4. Pat Cleburne

Thank you
  5. SiosDashcR

CQC isn't limited to being spawn camped. Have you seen the players running around with shotguns (excluding LAs) who are going up to players, knowing their limits and avoiding as many shots as possible - to utilize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses?

Stop trying to dumb it down as the worst AV MAX weapon. It's not the best but capable.
  6. Aegie

Do you mean lowest score per minute? If so, could you post this data please- every API data I have ever seen has shown TR to be outscoring the other factions in infantry, MBT and even ESF (at least against the Reaver, not sure about the Scythe).
    • Up x 1
  7. Ranik

And now you are trying to compare a low mobility,resource costed, timer based max to a high mobility LA with no timer or resource cost.

Can you not see what is wrong with that little theory?
    • Up x 1
  8. SiosDashcR

That's generally how it is. And if a player can't adapt to those changes because of stubbornness and if that patch doesn't resolve their issue - then it's advised for that player to end up leaving, even -if unable to resolve their issue after the break.

PlanetSide 2 has and will, as everyone seen - go through constant changes, constant balance patches: some for the better or worse and your most "favorite" thing now, may not be soon enough.

If you feel one thing is getting easier than certain others - it may be time to milk it out for all you can as it's most likely going to face a nerf.
    • Up x 1
  9. Cougarbrit

I don't mean traverse, I don't expect that to be limited seeing as MAXes operate like infantry gameplay-wise (ie no aim restrictions beyond the silly 180deg traverse limits), I mean horizontal arc, which is what I'm expecting. The best use of bursters is up close for a brutal blast of, guess, burst damage. It's the best way to get kills on bad pilots and the only way to severely damage or kill good pilots. But if there's a limited horizontal arc, it'll be very easy for pilots to escape the bursters up close, bad pilots will probably still die as the burst damage will tally quicker and they'll have less time to respond but good pilots will likely escape with even less damage.

And considering Libs, well, you'll have a better chance of doing more damage quickly to libs, but you'll also be as good as dead assuming it has a gunner with any modicum of skill.

Lockdown will be only preferable then at long range, so it'll be marginally better at air denial, but you aren't going to kill anything at long range, nor damage it too much. I imagine in mass grouped AA it'll be a nice edge that'll completely shutdown air attacks, but that's a real one trick pony.

And I'll cover AI and maybe AV more in a sec as I'm hungry and dinner is ready.
    • Up x 1
  10. SiosDashcR

Didn't I say EXCLUDING the LA?

11. Shasbot

They dumped this thread into the MAX section?
  12. SiosDashcR

Well, it vastly depends on how your set your MAXes up.

Yes, I do realize that more than one MAX would make this tactic viable - as it would be a deterrent otherwise, but that's the same to say for the Strikers or some other weapons that can only do so much on its own.

Against AA, whether or not you get the kills or not - I think the most important part isn't about every kill you get- but warding off the aircraft enough so they won't have the time to do another pass around to raep face all over your MAX.

Arc hasn't been specified yet, so I don't want to be too hasty with how that turns out - although I think you were referring to vertical limited arc versus horizontal? Horizontal will allow us to still aim above our heads.

And sure thing- Although I may not be here for awhile as I'm only ForumSide2'ing until classes start. Then after that, PlanetSide 2 for me as it's more productive, at least for me, for my time.
  13. Ranik

Oh sorry. read that the other way. However that changes NOTHING.

Because the max is still lower mobility, has a resource cost and a timer.

You can't risk your *** trying to maneuver like an infantry class. You'll get stomped and put on a timer.

And "play smart" doesn't really mean much when the other guy is playing smart to kill you, and has longer range, and missiles which go around corners and High explosives etc etc.

Getting a max into close range is dangerous, always has been with the resource cost/timer.
    • Up x 1
  14. SiosDashcR

With a small squadron you can.

You shouldn't expect to take out tanks easily as a solo player just as you shouldn't with a MAX (and especially as a MAX).

imo - MAXes are meant for squad support and offensive use, however holds not too much of its own without people to support them.

In a small squad, even as little as two (one Engineer with Flak and one MAX) - much can still be accomplished so long as you play cautiously and choose your battles.

Also - MBTs have a longer timer and more resource cost.

Shouldn't be right for a lower resource costing, lower timer respawning unit to take out another unit which costs more to spawn and more certed into (well, usally).
  15. Goretzu

On that server NC don't dominate in population or territory.

From that you can see the idea that NC are OP is silly, population wins.
  16. Ranik

And the excuses go on. Of course ANYTHING can work if you throw 10 of them vs 1 of anything. And where did I say that a single max should shut down an MBT? You are putting words in my mouth and trying to move the goalposts here.

Why must a TR max work in a squadron while an NC / VS max can do the same but function at longer ranges?

All you are giving me at this point is watered down "L2P" and "work as a group" when the same is less true for NC/VS due to the nature of the pounders short range.

TL;DR you are wrong on this. And i'll not clutter this thread further telling you why.
    • Up x 1
  17. SiosDashcR

Because we gain more from lock down and become one of the better MAXes to deal effectively with tanks on the AV scale than other MAXes.

We're may not be the "middle-man, average joe" MAX here- but we definitely are NOT useless.

Think of it as a high curve cert payoff.
  18. Ganelon

You say it doesn't make a difference, then you say it would be imbalanced to change them back. Make up your mind.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ranik

And AGAIN. "Because of lockdown"

As if I already hadn't shown that lockdown should be optional, not mandatory.

Arguing in circles isn't fun. So stop going in them.
    • Up x 1
  20. SiosDashcR

The 8 shot to kill infantry isn't the difference.
    The fact that rendered shields moot pre-patch, does.

If you haven't gotten that into your head- then there's no reasoning to this.

Isolating a feature (in this case- suit armor) is not what this game is about.
    Just like Mineguard shouldn't have been the only thing a Sunderer should ever equip - and so tank mines were nerfed (twice).