If you didn't want three factions, why did you put three in?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by PoisonedAl, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Goretzu

I'd actually say VS might be the most powerful faction all things considered, just they don't have the population. However the balance is close enough that population is what really matter, well that and organised outfits (which may be part of the VS issue there?).

Show that TR do perfectly well, dominate in fact where they have the majority population.

Old heads remember PS1 where this same issue came up again and again, because NC was popular on the US servers, on the EU servers it was much more balanced and when they released the China/East Asia servers the VS totally dominated - all with the same balance and game build.
  2. RobotNinja

Mmmm-hmmmm, mmmm-hmmmm...hey do you still play Battlefield Heroes?
  3. Sweet Jackal

No, -I- said the nerf doesn't have any overall impact against stock infantry. It's TTK is increased against targets with shields or nanoweave (no overkill means it needs 1 more bullet) as well as very lightly wounded targets (No overkill means it would still take 8 bullets where the Mercy prenerf would take 7)

The Nerf doesn't directly impact the Mercy's performance. What it does do is create a difference in the strengths of the Mercy and the Onslaught, the slight nerf to DPS yet not breaking the TTK barrier of the Mercy working with the RoF buff of the Onslaught to create a 0.4 TTK difference in favor of the Onslaught, or 0.2 for Dual Onslaught to Dual Mercy. Increasing the Max Damage back to the old values would also push for the Blue Shift to be brought up to that same level, as this nerf brought the Mercy in line with the newly buffed Blue Shift in both style and role (longer range weapon, no change in damage over range).

It is possible to create changes that have negligible impact on the performance of the item changed (the Mercy) yet have a greater balance impact on other items that are competing against it (Onslaught and Blue Shift).

But why should the change be reverted if it wouldn't improve the overall performance, only in fringe cases actually having an impact, when doing so would have the Mercy step on the toes of a weapon in the same slot for a different role (Onslaught) or would be flat out better than another faction's (Blue Shift)?

How would increasing the DPS on the Blueshift affect it's TTK? As right now, with 143 without bullet drop the Blueshift has just enough overkill to be an 8 hit kill without bleeding into a 7 hit kill. If the Mercy was reverted and the Blueshift brought up to match, it would be a 7 hit kill. This means, with dual Blue Shift, one less volley once you account for misses, which has a more dramatic effect on TTK as the Blue Shift has a lower RoF.

How would this new Blue Shift now compare to the other VS Max Weapons? Would it be better than Dual Cosmos and provoke a buff to them as well?

Balance isn't done in a vacuum. You have to balance how things interact and compete, not just on the opposing sides but also the same side.
  4. MykeMichail

No I'm just calling it as I see it. Every warpgate rotation, everyone is coming to forums explaining why their warpgate position is the worst and why faction X has it so much better at warpgate Y. It just so happens, that the TR seem to be the worst for this.

Actually, I never used it pre-nerf. There is nothing wrong with this gun. Its excellent for a starter weapon. To get anything even close I have to spend 1000 CERTs or 700 SC to get an EM1 on my NC, and I'd still say that's an inferior gun without attachments.

When I first used it, I expected a horrible weapon, impossible to control. What I got was a weapon which was very easy to control and absolutely excellent for close quarters for an LMG.

Perhaps TR players are still trying to use it like a pre-nerf T9 and expecting it to perform the same?
  5. Cougarbrit

That's because the warpgates are legitimately bad, it's been proven over time that there is a clear imbalance between warpgates. Of course people are gonna complain. You probably think TR are the worst for this because it's been TR in the pits for the last couple months, so our complaining just happens to be clearer in your mind.

There is plenty wrong with this gun, especially if you try to use it as a bullethose. Unless a good bullethose LMG to you means only viable in CQC yet totally outclassed by CQC-specific weaponry.

The only good thing about this gun is that it forces users to get used to burst firing to be effective, you simply will not be competitive otherwise, and even then you'll miss a large amount of your shots thanks to the random spray and recoil patterns. There is no reason to use the gun over anything else available, every other LMG available to us is better than the CARV.
  6. xGreedFuSioN

Having played VS and TR extensively, VS is no longer UP in the SLIGHTEST. Magrider is pretty good, scythe is pretty good, and their weps are the same as ours only w/o drop.

VS isn't UP anymore, get over it.
    • Up x 1
  7. EliteEskimo

Ash to be fair the OP does have a valid point. Let me list some of the things that I noticed, and take notice I'm not a "Bad" player.

1. If we look back from when the game first launched the Magrider got more kills in one life on average than both the Vanguard and the Prowler combined. Yet it took well like 1-2 months to fix wasn't it? The HE Prowler wasn't even in its OP state for a full month, it got instantly nerfed.

2. People complained about the Carv being too Op, it got nerfed like what twice?

3. NC complained about flinch, it then gets removed making the only true disadvantage of using their guns disappear. (The recoil of NC guns is laughable for anyone who has decent experience in previous FPS games.)

4.NC population was never truly underpopulated and if it was it wasn't that long. Fast forward the NC complained a lot and they got repeatedly were indirectly buffed/ not nerfed so now they out populate the other factions on the majority of servers. NC had the entire fourth faction for over a month after stealing all Vanu's fourth faction, people complained about it, so they buff the VS instead of balancing the NC leaving TR with the only real faction disadvantage now.

5. After all tanks were the most balanced they had been in months and the good Vanu tankers were satisfied with the Magrider the Magrider had it's strafe buffed back. All in order to steal back forth faction from the NC.

6. NC Max was the best scoring Max for like 4-5 months, the other two factions complained about it non stop, and it only got balanced not over nerfed. Today it is still the highest scoring Max to date. After the balance, in which NC Maxes still get ludicrous damage against TR/VS Maxes, the best options for both the TR/VS the Mercies/Cosmos were nerfed even though no one complained about them and no one felt they were imbalanced.

7. To this date TR is the only faction where its faction specific is only part true. The advantage of high ROF is only partially true since many VS guns match them or even beat TR guns. For the HA the best overall gun right now is the TMG-50 which I believe is lowest firing LMG gun for the TR and is basically a direct downgrade of the Gauss Saw.

8. To date TR has the only MBT with a special ability that directly negates it's faction special trait which is ironically "going 5 KPH faster". After numerous dedicated tankers explained over countless months this was a horrible idea for the above reason and, sitting still is very bad on a battle field, an inaccurate off centered turret with high recoil was never meant for precision sniping, the developers ignored us to try to patch up a flawed Prowler concept. To date it remains completely situational, the only ability with a disadvantaged attached, and the only ability that actually makes you more vulnerable to being flanked.

9. With the release of the ESRL's the TR's Striker remains the only one which can be defensively certed against by vehicles (IR Smoke/ Flares), the only one which cannot dumbfire, and the only one which cannot kill turrets.

The TR has the most loyal base is without a doubt true. I still love TR, but I dislike the repeated short end of the stick being dealt to the TR all the same.
  8. Ash87

No, the OP is whinging needlessly about minor changes to a group that he cannot render an objective opinion on. If you ask a VS person about nerfs, they will say they were nerfed the hardest. If you ask the NC, they will say they were nerfed the hardest. If you ask TR... they will be totally objective and tell you exactly what has happened without a single bit of bias.

Wait, actually, they will say they were nerfed the hardest.

I am not going to break down your whole list here, frankly I see little point in it, as we will argue in circles and never agree. You have a sizable advantage over me in terms of your abilities IG to kill imaginary people, but most of these issues that the OP is touching on, most of the things people are getting all pissy about when it comes to the TR, are minutia. Dropping Mercy damage 18 points isn't going to be Noticeable unless you are anally counting every shot. Taking 9 bullets to kill and taking 7 bullets to kill wont influence 99% of players, unless they KNOW the change is there. Why? Because we're talking about Milliseconds to kill differences. This is ignoring that the "Best" weapon is something based purely on opinion. You say the TMG-50 is a great gun, but I would never use it. I prefer the Bull. I like Lockdown on my prowler and use it often, yet you write it off entirely.

What most people get angry about are minor things, that if they really mull it over, they will realize it has no impact on them at all. And small changes, even implied changes will infuriate or placate people, regardless of the actual effect.

The best example of this is the "pass" that SOE made at shotguns. Do you know what this pass did? Positively Nothing. Infact I'm relatively sure that the Barrage is a Better gun than it was before. After that whole thing happened, the majority of people on forumside who whined about shotguns stopped. They got attention and stopped noticing what it was they were "Angry" about. Do you know what this did? This killed the mess about Pump action shotgun damage, because the majority of the support were misguided people who had no clue what they were talking about, and were placated by the "Pass". Even though there were no sizable improvements.

The Devs aren't nerfing the TR into oblivion. No human being, above the age of 20, who is not schitzophrenic, gives a rosey scented **** about animated sprites that represent random people they are never going to meet. The devs are not preferential to one group or another, because they are mature Adults who have a reasonable disconnect between the game world and reality. Every side has been nerfed and buffed, and no one side has escaped with a sizable advantage. I do not see One weapon used universally, or one tactic that can't be countered. Those things just don't exist in PS2. High TTK balances all of that out.

I have played TR for 5 months now abouts, and there is no change that has happened that made me question whether I should have chosen another side.
  9. EliteEskimo

I think you may have misunderstood where I stand on this issue. I've played TR since Beta and have enjoyed it every step of the way. TR hasn't been nerfed into the ground true, but they have been given the short end of the stick continuously since launch. It's easy to tell because TR hasn't had any significant 4th faction since the Prowler HE scenario.

As much as I despise the 4th faction making the NC super overpopulated they are a good gauge at where faction balance is. Until just recently NC had the entirety of the 4th faction after the flinch reduction and Magrider balance. The tank stats where the most balanced they have been in months and the good vanu tankers weren't complaining. Higby even tested the Magrider himself, and stated that they were where he wanted them to be after he balanced them. Yet here comes GU7 giving the Magrider a random strafe buff out of nowhere at a bad attempt to get the fourth faction back to the VS. Lastly, both TR/VS stated that the NC Hacksaw was OP in CQC for along time, and the stats backed it up. Yet it took almost 6 months for them to handle it? Does that seem level minded to you? Lastly, the Mercies are still okay okay, but for their COF and the fact that they are chain guns designed to put a lot of bullets down fast 18 less damage per bullet stacks up fast.
  10. JudgeDeath

1/10

OP atleast made me laugh.
  11. Takoita

This thread looks like a prime source of troll food. Though I do have to point out that OP's opinion is shared by a lot of players I get to play with.