If you are going to add an activation time to the HA overshield, give us one thing in return

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Roll Fizzlebeef, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Wobberjockey

wait did these changes go live already?
    did i miss a patch note somewhere?

because while i support the spool up time ( the nano armor cloak has had it for a long time now. there is a 1/2 second from activation until the armor actually kicks in) i never thought the ability needed a blanket nerf...
  2. Bankrotas

So this is Bargaining phase eh?
  3. SharpeShooter

I don't know why people are complaining! The HA shield is clearly an "i win button" and the people that say its not are crazy. The nerf is clearly justified.
  4. Elrohur

It was not specifically toward you but to some people who are quiet insulting in their way of talking.

So far really my concern is not the fact they are changing something, but the way they are going to do it.
    I don't want to lose my advantage ? If you say so ...
    I learnt to play with it, i'll learn to play without. As long as they are not screwing up.

A little bit of explanation on their thoughts of what will become the ability would be welcome.
    Throwing a sentence like the one they put on the roadmap when talking about balance is pure garbage.
    They have to explain to people, if not to themselves.
    • Up x 1
  5. Goretzu

Well it's more a "this is going to result in the Resist Shield being the only worthwhile Shield" phase.

Which is fair enough if that is what SOE want, but I suspect it is not.

It's difficult to see how they can change the NMG and Ad shields to be as effective as the Resist shield if they all require pre-activation though.

The Resist shield is better already if you pre-activate.

The NMG/Ad shield if you reactively activate.

Making the NMG/Ad shields useless for reactive use (with a delay) just leaves the Resist shield as the only worthwhile option to take (which is basically where we were before the last Resist shield nerf - although at least then the was still some point in the NMG/Ad shield for use reactively).

Nerfing the NMG/Ad shields directly is one thing, but this is just making them worse than the Resist shield in every situation, it is puzzling to say the least. :confused:
  6. Goretzu

Again though if they make the NMG/Ad shield useless for reactive use (as seems to be their intention - and certainly your hope - with this), then the Resist shield is already better for pre-activated use.

Which leaves the question of WHAT use the NMG/Ad shields will have? :confused:

It's not nerfing them so much as making them pointless, and just making the Resist shield the only sensible option for anyone to take...... well that's bizarre game design and not "balance" as I'd recognise it.
  7. SpcFarlen

Because its the only real advantage the HA has over other classes. Its amount to complaining about an infil uncloaking behind you with an SMG, a light assault using their jumpjets to get to an area you cant reach, a medic healing himself, or an engineer putting a turret down. HAs are supposed to be front line bruisers. Against other classes they are supposed to have a slight edge on a head to head fight.

LMGs are not the best weapons in the game and can get outclassed by any AR or Carbine. Sure you have a large magazine, but that will only helps if your aim is terrible and actually need 50+ rounds to kill someone.

If it is such an issue why not lower the amount of damage it absorbs/reduces. Completely overhauling a mechanic that frankly has gone unchanged since its introduction in Beta (-cough- ADS in air) just seems like a recipe for disaster.

PS did a lengthy post in the roadmap on it as well https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...il-overall-balance.176747/page-6#post-2556721
    • Up x 1
  8. Goretzu

It is, or at least a recipe for the only shield to be used being the Resist Shield.

It can be done, however, but it requires a LOT more than just adding a delay/spin up to the shield; the NMG/Ad shields need to be modified for pre-activation (as the Resist shield already is), so they are a viable option to use instead of the Resist shield when pre-activating it.
  9. Roll Fizzlebeef

Let's not forget three other things

1 - Massively nerfed hipfire, and the ADS accuracy is no better than any other carbine or AR.

2 - Their DPS is on par with other guns. Same damage models. Same rates of fire. (NC6 Gauss SAW / AC-X11 / Reaper DMR)

3 - Though some may point out the larger magazines, they tend to forget the massively larger reload times to counter-act the magazine size.
    • Up x 1
  10. Odin

Might want to add this small thing...

4. - Ability to carry a second main weapon capable of instant killing infantry, 50% damage against maxes and ability to instant gib esfs, and blow up tanks in 2 shots from behind.

I realize that's a small thing (sarcasm) and no one uses the rocket as a primary (sarcasm) but I thought that small thing needed to be on the list as Ha's always seem to forget they carry a rocket when they complain about their "terrible" lmg's.
  11. Canuk

I am gonna use this in my sig, damn that's funny.
  12. Hiding in VR

Cool, what's that and how much does it cost?
  13. ChampagneDragon

INteresting thing I just dug up:

https://www.planetside2.com/players...op&period=Forever&view=All&world=All&limit=10

So, top kills by class by those ten:

HA: 1
    LA: 3
    Eng: 6

Second most played:

INF: 1
    Eng: 4
    HA: 3*
    LA: 3*

Clearly there is a reason only one of those ten plays HA primary, and three as a secondary. LA is played MUCH more often. We know they play eng to vehicle farm. Is LA played by pilots to bail out of aircraft when they're losing?

*one person had same amount of time played for HA and LA as their second class.
  14. miraculousmouse

Awesome, tell me how that has anything to do with the shield, a shielded or non shielded heavy is gonna blow you to bitsso why even bother? Whenever i see a heavy with his launcher out and i know he hasnt fired i dont tap his back with bullets and expect him to take the time out for pulling his LMG. Then again those are all baby steps to becoming a more proactive player.

50% damage, much needed against the true iWin class of the game :rolleyes:. Two shotting tanks - i'd rather buy the AV turret but i do play my part in distracting tanks for C4 fairies :)
  15. Canuk

comes with the standard loadout I think.
    Called a decimator or similar rocket.
  16. Canuk

17. Odin

it has nothing to do with the shield I am confused, I was responding to someone ******** anout how bad lmg's were and of course never talking about the positive side of Heavy assault.
    Looking for someone to put on the cross, don't bother. I could care less about the shield either way just tired of the heavys who think they are not equipped with good weaponry and post how terrible lmg's are.
    If lmg's were the best weapons in the game it would be completely unbalanced to have a rocket as a secondary.
  18. Wobberjockey

the NS Decimator.

great for blasting those overconfident skygods out of the air during a LOLpod run.