If reavers are so bad...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Duff_Chimp, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Duff_Chimp

... why are their pilots that much better than TR and VS on average?

I seem to lose far more dogfights vs reavers, over scythes. What am i doing wrong? And if any smart **** says a2a missiles i will punch them into the 5th dimension...
    • Up x 1
  2. TintaBux

Reaver vs other ESF's is a complete dog and awful, has awful stats vs other ESF's. If you lose more dog fights against a reaver in a mossie, afraid to say your a bad pilot in dog fights.
    • Up x 8
  3. TheUprising

I want to upvote this but I am not exactly sure what he's saying.
  4. Oreo202

The reaver's vertical thrust and it's DPS are its only worthwhile qualities :/
    • Up x 1
  5. Goretzu

Often in MMOs the underpowered gets the better players.

Probably because of two things:

1. The lol-players/easy-mode players flock to percieved easy side, leaving only the dedicated on the underdog.

2. Natural selection, if you're underpowered you either get a lot better or die a lot (and usually quit).
    • Up x 12
  6. Klondik3

natural selection. bad reaver pilots get weeded out and stop flying much faster than scythe/mosquito pilots. especially now after the introduction of striker.

on a more serious note: check ESF stats, reavers have lowest average score per hour. few lost dogfights are hardly enough evidence to make assumptions about any ESF.
    • Up x 5
  7. Phrygen

because they used to be the best on release, so a good number the best beta pilots started off with them if they were not loyal to a faction. They certed up with them, and when the reaver got borked they stayed.

Also, flying the inferior air craft forces you to be a better pilot.
  8. willowstyle

where to see that?
  9. GhostAvatar

Use A2A missiles derp.
  10. Tekuila

T
    That helps in the hover battles that take place now.
    • Up x 2
  11. NovaAustralis

This.
    When you fight a good Reaver pilot, you're actually fighting a pilot equivalent to an excellent Scythe or Mozzie pilot.
    • Up x 1
  12. Izriul

Link the stats then
  13. phreec

Because only the most dedicated hardcore tryhards even bother dogfighting in a Reaver. Most just fly around, rocketpod some ground troops and go hug a tree or ammo tower in full speed... Like me. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  14. Evileet

Reaver:
    hard to play
    hard to master (but then it's a beast.)

Mosquito:
    easy to play
    middlehard to master

Scythe:
    easy to play
    easy to master

that's just my opinion. feel free to correct me if you need to.
    • Up x 1
  15. Hamakua

Reavers aren't "so bad". NC just like holding onto a victim complex as though it's going out of style.

I suspect the NC playerbase does this subconsciously in response to how over-powered their scatmaxes are. "Everything of ours is UP except the scatmaxes, they are BALANCED, just leave them ALONE!"

I never once defended Prowlers in their power against infantry, and the moment SOE nerfed the magrider I knew the prowler was next, and I was fine with that (Although HE is completely broken now, but I wouldn't know how to fix it, Prowler is ironically the worst HE tank now).

Reaver pilots, for ages try to sell the rest of the factions this notion the reaver is underpowered, or gimped in some way because of its airframe. They refuse to focus on the Reaver's strengths.

1. They have the easiest time "one-shotting" other ESF's
    2. They have TWO weapon systems available to them to do this, both their Rotary and their Air hammer
    3. They have the highest top speed in the game.
    4. They have the highest sustained speed in the game (they don't have the highest "cruising speed" without using AB).

Their nose gun disparity inadvertently gives them the most health when fighting other ESF's. Relative to how many shots they need to land on enemy ESF's and how many shots those ESF's need to land on the reaver. TR mosquito pilots need to be about 12-13% more accurate to even match an NC's ESF rotary in damage.
    • Up x 10
  16. Duff_Chimp

I wholeheartedly disagree, i'm better than the vast majority of noobs that step into their esfs expecting freekills. I'm not the greatest of pilots, talented amateur mostly. Contrary to popular beliefs its not how big it is (stats) its what you do with it that counts. I have beaten off very skilled pilots, but i notice i have a harder time against reavers.

Nobody with any brains or experience can shed any light on this? The only thing i can come up with is that at a distance i can generally always win, when i get too close with scythes and reavers they can literally always turn me out. I have to boost away to regain some distance and come back around. Reavers are deadly in short ranges, there nosegun hits like a truck, and any inaccuracy it has isn't a problem close up. Scythes on the other hand hit like a wet fish...

Against a skillful reaver pilot, i am kept in short range very well and find it almost impossible to afterburn away without them right on my tail. I had an extended fight around the centre of Amerish today, it was absolutely maddening and fun at the same time. I only managed to outfox him using terrain a couple of times and lay some damage on him, he just wittled me down and killed me eventually.

I just think anyone that states their ESF is bad, just aren't using their strengths to their advantage. I just think its funny how people regard the reaver as such a bad aircraft, when it so effective at dogfighting...
    • Up x 1
  17. ent|ty

I agree. Reavers are anything but the bricks people claim they are. In other words, they're fine.
    I can't beat a Reaver either, but then I'm not that great at dogfights amazingly, though I can out fly and out hide them and make them crash trying to chase me though.
  18. Duff_Chimp

Because Scythes and Mosquitos make much better A2G missile platforms. I'm just making observations based on play, you can check my stats to see how much time i've spent in the air. I will always prioritize air over anything except possible AA. Still waiting for other peoples opinions on the subject, apart from "lol reavers are bad, you are bad" arguments.
  19. AnnPerkins

reavers have dat vertical thrust. When "dogfighting" consists of constantly turning towards the other guy being able to slip above or below them with ease is very helpful.
    • Up x 4
  20. Zitroxious

for air to air i do much better in a reaver actually, it feels much more easy.. leading a target in the scythe is **** because yaw is so slow, you constantly have to roll in order to keep up which ***** up your aim, in reaver its pretty easy
    • Up x 3