[Suggestion] How too make construction fun.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Frutsel, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Frutsel

I have an idea too make construction fun for everyone.

1 Harshly reduce or free building cost.
    2 Upgrade for the buildings for reducing time to build, and more HP

simple and effective in my opinion.

Any other thoughts?
  2. FateJH

How does this make it more fun?

Vehicle timers (2013 called) were attempts at a measure of balance and were designed to be cert sinks; but, I don't think anyone would argue they added to the fun factor of using a vehicle. Despite preferences, too, I don't think anyone would have appreciated a complete disentanglement of the vehicle system from a resource-price system since that would impact the significance of the presence of vehicles and the elimination of enemy vehicles.

I don't agree with some people that the construction system needs to directly (solely?) contribute to the normal base capture mechanics. This game is fully capable of supporting multiple well-designed systems. That said, sub-construction pieces that are nowhere near as gradniose as those only allowed outside of no-construction zones, but that can be used within base walls because their signature is low-key enough to be useful without being overwhelming, sounds great. Engineers might have walls but even a simple sandbag from an ANT terminal can go a long way. Some reinforcement of an S-AMS position with prefab dividers? Yes.
    • Up x 1
  3. Halkesh

Are you speaking about the cert cost or the cortium cost ? Cortium cost are reduced by 50-75% on test server and dvs are already considering reducing the cert costs. (Soon™)

Dev wanted to make the construction system a cert-sink for veterans, but the idea to have all the building unlock for free and with cert-able upgrade can make both player and devs happy.

I think it would be more fun for non-veterans because they'll simply be able to participate into construction, instead of just being able to watch because of the high cert prices.
  4. Frutsel

Mostly reducing the cert/dbc cost.

The purpose of the idea is too attract more players for the construction system.
    The system at the moment only allows players with lots of money or all access accounts.

But i think the most players will buy now and then an xp boost, camo's, dbc etc.
    My opinion is that those group of players are bit of excluded in today's system.

So this was an idea to also help that group of players.
  5. raffa2

That's what i thought about cert prices since the beginning, there are so many things to sink your certs into already, like almost every single weapon in the game costing 1000 certs and the following upgrades or attachments being often obligatory, or simply building upgrading a vehicle to a minimum competitive level, or simply obligatory purchases to make a vehicle usabe (basilisk harasser).
    The construction system to act as a sink certs of veterans is not really necessary, as it just pushes the grind wall further, specially if the construction feature is a must have to win alerts.
  6. AtckAtck

I have to disagree, this is the typical all or nothing attitude we see a lot today.
    Becoming a base builder takes a lot of cert investment, yes no argue there.
    BUT is is certainly possible unlock everything with a free to play account.
    Not all at once, see it as someting that progresses over time.

If you want to start building solo bases from day 1 of trying to build, then my bad you will have to buy with cash and nevertheless you will fail with it.
    None of the players that have bought the stuff with cash i know became great base builders. They simply dont have the patience needed.

So my advice is: if you want to bulld, find a nice base where you can add some stuff, talk to the base builders, help to defend the base.

And now to the problems of base building:

Problem No.1:
    The turrets are already over-nerfed, have zero kill potential, the ai is plain stupid, no even useable when manned by a player and are made out of cardboardbox material. When constuction came out the auto-turrets where fun to build for the builders; they where quick to react and deadly as hell. Thanks to community crying about it is now often better to not build any turrets at all and try not to attract vehicles in the first place, because turrets are useless the way they are now.

Problem No.2:
    A lot of the community is very toxic about base building. They don't want to invest certs, don't want to attack and certainly don't want to defend them. The reason is simple, they want the gameplay they know and the meta they are good in. Fighting in places that change all the time frustrates them.
    I think it would be wrong to listen to these types of players as they make up a lot of the pop that makes other players simply quit the game.

Problem No. 3:
    Base need to be a lot sturdier. Example: I have an alarm module in my base. It sounds an alarm. I instantly redeploy. 10 sek. Spawn at my base and spawn in the already destroyed spawntube, have lost 3 modules to two infanty attackers. WTF... I did't spend 30 Minutes farming cortium and buildig a base so some random dudes can disable it in unter 10 seconds. That is way too short.
    Bases need to withstand a long time, not just seconds but at least tens of minutes. Players need to see something is wrong, then decide they want to help and spawn there. (Given there ARE players that care.)

Problem No. 4:
    There is no indication apart from the alarm module for squad members that a base needs defenders.
    Tweak the reinforcement module to no only display a "reinforcements needed" spawnpoint; nobody reads that and nobody cares.
    Make an alarm on the map, If the base has a running core make spawns inside the reinforcement module stand out, maybe with a big red button. Something that everybody sees.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jac70

I don't have much of an issue with the time to build. I'd maybe make it faster to load an ANT - mining Cortium can be pretty tedious, especially when you have to scour the map for spikes - at least increase the speed of the mining laser.

Placing elements can be a PITA at the moment - especially if you choose to build on a spot that isn't completely flat. Often the best place for a base is in the hills but that means you will often be unable to put certain structures in place. Perhaps a new construction element that you can place, a foundation. A piece of flat concrete that you can put other things on top of - could be a very hard thing to code so that's a very rough idea.

Same again for walls, make it so the base of the wall is deeper so it can project into the ground further without making it possible for the wall to be taller. Instead of 3 rampart walls, give us 6 that are half the length of current ones and make the ends easier to join together.

As for base defense, you can usually slow down an attack with some good turret placement and intelligent infantry mine placement. The new base elements like the pain spire should help protect important structures.

I'd like to see the alarm module be visible to nearby forces - it could flash or make the lights in the base flash. Maybe a siren. I haven't unlocked it yet, if one of my mines gets triggered I will see a hit marker on my screen - that way I know someone is attacking the base.

I'd also like to know what 'matrixing' a spawn tube actually does :eek:
  8. AtckAtck

It aleady does it. It sounds an alarm in squad chat. It shows a visible exclamation mark above it. It has lights around it highlighting the rough direction from where the alert was triggert.
    But it makes no public sound and it doesn't display on the map.

Oh, thats simple to answer. You must be near the base to be able to deploy there. Or the base needs to in danger and overpopped and having a reinforcement module present in order to spawn there.
    BUT once matrixed you can always spawn there, no matter how far away you where.
  9. PlanetBound

When you matrix the tube your faction can spawn there from anywhere on the continent. There is no 1000 meter limit.
  10. ianucha1

I really hope they reduce the cert costs. You kinda need all the other stuff in order to effectively guard a base. Now i'm not saying its impossible to guard a base without those, just harder.
  11. BamaRage

The construction system is a failure, wanna make the game more fun? Add water and some island bases with boats to assist in capturing the bases. Delete the failed construction system and move on. Rework a version of the aircraft for water landings to aid in the taking of island bases.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sparkatb

Everything needs at least three times more hit points. Its SO disheartening after spending maybe an hour or longer building everything up and then finally maxing out the silo, to only then have it destroyed within a few minutes by 2+ enemy players in tanks.

The turret AI is almost useless. I'm surprised when I see the notification that I've killed a player while I'm doing something else.

Gathering cortium needs to be at least twice as fast. My ANT has max travel speed and storage capacity, maybe provide additional speed or/and capacity - more capacity I'm talking a total storage of 20k instead of 10k.

The sky shield diameter needs to be at least 20% wider. When you've got everything in there it has to be compacted so tight as enemy ESF/Libs can shoot inside pretty easily... depending on angles and such.

Everything should only be deployable within silo reach - so make that area of effect a bit wider. Also despawn everything after a short time of the silo being destroyed, this way we don't see random rogue walls/structures scattered all over the place often blocking the way to go somewhere.
  13. FateJH

Can you give me details about the encounter? Surely, your squad didn't let 2+ enemy players just wail at the base walls without fighting back.
    • Up x 2
  14. LordKrelas

The Faster the buildings construct, the easier it is to replace lost structures, the harder it is to even wear down a self-repairing completely automated base.
    Grinding against a PMB wall, for 0 XP, while being engaged by the only AI-controlled guns outside of Spitfires, while everything self-repairs, is... one-sided hard.
    What is the motive to attack these PMBs? That unless you do, you're screwed since Jim bob built in a random hole?

Enemy MBTs: Repair modules, AV turrets, and actually guarding your PMB.
    At 3 times the hit-points, that means the EXP-less grind against an entirely automated PMB is even longer - without even including a living sod actually doing anything to defend it.
    You ever siege a base? The EXP pay-out for taking out an automatically repairing structure, is... Little.
    Hive self-destruct, and Automated-turrets trying to kill you - None worth much EXP, and each is completely barren of player-interaction, but feeds the Builder AFK somewhere, expecting an entirely autonomous base to be able to handle multi-crew Heavy tanks..
    Soon, there's gonna be Pain Fields, and mortars fired by Robotic-bases - that unlike the defenders, actually need attackers to do everything in person, by themselves, for barely a pay-out if anything.

The Turret AI, is a 360 degrees all-seeing-eye, that is a near perfect shot, and requires no Player guidance.
    Outside of Spitfires, these are the only automated-guns, and were bull at the original AI ranges.
    Free EXP & kills, miles away, without a single action done during it.. Only available to Builders.
    They reduced it, so you can't built a couple towers on a hill, and automatically shell everything in sight-range.

More capacity, so the ease of powering a Base & replacing everything? Only thing that might not further screw non-builders, outside of the Skyshield - Since it no longer straight up exterminates infantry when used as a perfect sealing method.
    • Up x 1
  15. Chintufat

I agree and also The turrets are an easy kill from a distance , that needs to be fixed. When i have my prowler in anchored mode and at a distance by the time you see your turret is getting hit it's to late and you cannot repair it to save it .you know what is worst than have you stuff destroyed in a few minutes. that is having someone from the opposing side put a OS down before you have your hive or OS down when you leave your base to get more cort. I would never do that to anyone lol
  16. Sparkatb

By the time any or enough reinforcements turn up, the turrets and most of the modules are down. If the enemy has a couple or more tanks they just cut through the walls like no ones business.

Having a squad ready to redeploy the instant you ask for help to defend your base? Not a chance they'd be willing to or arrive on time if they're already busy capturing or defending a main base.

For the most part the construction system is mostly played by soloists, some will squad up with other ANT players to build bases faster/bigger. But that's all the gameplay is, unless you get strategically lucky to have your base fully built just in time for a big battle between two main bases which can be a whole lot of fun.
  17. LordKrelas

That's the point, really. Prowler is the longest ranged MBT, and is an MBT - you want to defend against that, Actually defend.
    If they automatically engaged at Prowler-Ranges, they'd be firing so far into non-engaged forces, from the tops of mountains..
    With pin-point all-seeing-eye accuracy.

If you're being besieged by an MBT, you shouldn't expect your entirely automated defenses & repair-systems to counter it.
    You want to avoid it - Control the area around your base, not just the inside of it.

You apparently didn't build, or plan accordingly to defend the base against 2-man Main-battle-tanks..
    If an automated wall & Gun stops an MBT by itself, what exactly is the point of the Defender?

No sololist should be able to build an autonomous PMB able to shutdown enemy MBTs by itself
    As what, the hell, is that?
    If you can't properly plan, or lack forces to handle threats that can destroy the automatons - you're in reality finally.
    Only PMBs have entirely automated systems - which shouldn't be able to handle easily by themselves, the heaviest multi-crew vehicle available to ground forces. They are AI turrets, and walls, meant to support defense, not man-handle every threat.
    • Up x 1
  18. Jac70

It used to be that base walls were invulnerable to damage so long as they were under the influence of a repair module and you had Cortium in the silo to power your modules. I think that's changed now and it's not a change for the better. Now a couple of tanks can steamroll the base and there's pretty much FA you can do to stop them. Not unless you can get a nearby squad in to defend with HAs and MAX units. That's pretty rare, PMBs tend to be operated by one or two builders.

Whenever I build a PMB I always think of it as a FOB first and foremost. So I will build it near the front, especially along a lattice link that looks likely to be attacked by the enemy. Then put a Spawn tube in and make sure that tube is pretty much on top of a vehicle terminal - so if a random spawns there it is clear that there is a vehicle available to them. I'd like to see a constructable weapons terminal because the bunker is too big, unsecured and the first thing that will attract those sneaky camping ****ers!
  19. Sparkatb

I disagree for the most part.

Two enemy tanks can easily take down your base within literally just a few minutes if you're not there. If you are there then the fight may last a few minutes more - at most, and most of the time you won't get any or little help.
    An hour+ to build an entire base, vs a couple of tanks who can take your base down within a few minutes? That's not counting the amount of times you may have died in your ANT from random enemy vehicles whilst gathering cortium, or building bases in safe spots only to then have it never see any action, or to build the base near the frontline only to have a half-ready built base destroyed within a minute or 2.
  20. Mockabacka

I have pretty much unlocked every building in the game, and my problem with the construction system is that you are so limited to the number of buildings. You have to rely on many others to get a fun base up. There should be a cooldown on buildings, like 15 or 20 minutes so that you can place 2 anti tank towers if you just wait on the cooldown and another one after the next cooldown etc. This would not be broken at all since the silo has a range and the base could not be ridicolously unkillable.