[Suggestion] How to improve the Magrider

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by oracle617, Mar 15, 2017.

1. oracle617

The Magrider aka the heavy harasser aka the Magmower aka the Vanu pew pew MBT needs a long overdue overhaul. The benefit of the magrider to traverse terrain with ease can only be used in some locations to a good advantage.

The preferred maps for magging are in the following order. (Who even plays Hossin :p)
    1. Esamir
    2. Amerish
    3. Indar

On relatively flat terrain maps the benefits magburn offers in an anti vehicle role is very low. A 2/2 Vanguard or 2/2 Prowler will easily overpower a 2/2 Magrider considering all to be of same skill level.

The Magrider shines only when there are hills/ inclinations/ rough terrain where the other MBT's lack the maneuverability. When fighting in a 48-96/48-96 predominantly armor fight , the VS lightning tanks are seen taking the lead while maggies ( the good ones) take flanking positions. eg: Indar ex fights. Similarly the good prowlers and vanguards also flank using stealth, climb mountains and shred everything.

I have suggested some ways(either-OR not together Maybe?) to balance the magrider in line with the other MBT's.

1. Increase reinforced front armor to 15%
    2. Make Magburn slightly more powerful( not like its older version's )
    3. Ability to magburn without making a 180 and showing that big booty:rolleyes:
    4. Make the magrider not take fall damage at all/ flip. That would make for some interesting gameplay.;)
    5. Reduce the refresh rate of magburn from around 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Make it a one click escape that has thrice the current fuel capacity. This gives the magrider a chance against a vanny when they activate shields. So a vanny's I win button will have a counter of 'i run away button'. So a maggy pilot will have to time his magburn charge for ' when shiz happens' and cannot exploit it to hunt everything else.:)

Playing on VS-emerald as a br120 who mainly pilots an auraxium maggy. (4911 kills, 309.481 hours, 46% FPC accuracy) I would like to hear your opinions on the same. Do you like where the maggy is today or would like some changes made?

Spread Hate, Not Love <3
    • Up x 2
  2. Fennel

Sideways Magboost would be a game changer in itself, really. Currently, when dealing in one on one duels, the Magrider has a little more advantage in long distance engagements because of its unorthodox movement abilities and, at the same time, has a lot of trouble landing a kill against someone who's not caught out in the open. In every other case, the weak armor and inability to hull down makes the Magrider a terrible brawler by most counts.

I think it mainly has to do with the way that reinforced armor works. If a Magrider's trying to flank an enemy and fire at them with reinforced frontal armor, they can potentially be putting their 68% frontal mitigation against reinforced side skirts that would give a Prowler 73% mitigated damage or a Vanguard a whopping 78% mitigated damage. If the vehicle starts turning to respond to the Magrider's motions, it can mean almost certain death for the Maggy.
  3. Demigan

I had this nice textwall with all the reasons why you were wrong, but that won't work will it? I think this here below sums it up quite nicely:
    I think that your auraxium is based on pure usage time. Consider that you score below average on just about any statistic, on every single Magrider and Lightning weapon (and most infantry weapons excluding MAX, where you score somewhat above average, and any other vehicle weapon). I think that rather than try to upgrade your Magrider, you should upgrade your skills. The Magrider, if used with some brainpower, is a true chariot of the gods.
    Also I suggest you take up a TR and especially an NC account and see if the grass is truly as green as you say it is. I think you'll meet a rude awakening and get roflstomped. I especially encourage you to engage Magriders and see how "easy" it is, and I actually expect that you'll learn a ton and I mean a ton of how to use a Magrider properly just from getting your **** kicked by one a couple of times.
    • Up x 4
  4. MasterOhh

The Magrider isn't a MBT, its a heavy harrasser. Play it like one and its a sh*t ton of fun.
    Even thou I am ******** about the "I win shield" of the vanguard or the abillity spew a stupendous amount of dakka in you direction of the prowler from time to time when I face them in game, I think the balance of all 3 vehicles is as good as it can get right now.
    There might be a few QoL adjustments that could be done to the Magrider, like fixing the spinning bug or giving it the same maingun elevation as the prowler or vanguard have.

When the servers were laggy, the magburner sometimes could last 3-4 seconds instead of just 1. That might be another possible tweak, since the TR and NC didn't seem to notice it, but it helped me in a few situations.
  5. Dethonlegs

As it is right now, I'd be happy with a few QOL changes that wouldn't do anything other that reduce frustration.

• Spinning on exit or seat swap. If there is no driver it should stop turning.
    • Increase main gun elevation to the same as the other MBT's.
    • Remove the irritating noise of the saron moving about when driving without a gunner. Better yet, remove the saron movement noise altogether.
    • Reduce the god awful drop on the main gun. Same drop as the halberd would be ok.
    • Not specific to mags, fix the turret movement delay introduced with the PS4 control changes.

Out of everything listed, the spinning bug/feature is by far the most annoying. Decapitation / facing the wrong way after a quick repair is just dumb.
  6. Nabutso

To prevent spinning/moving on exit, don't hold any directional buttons on exit. This happens to all the tanks but the spin that the Maggie gets does tend to be worse than for the other MBTs.
  7. Luicanus

Firstly, I like Hossin. It's a pain to navigate but I'd have thought Magriders high manoeuvrability would help them handle it better than most.

As a TR Tanker I full appreciate your position that the enemy MBTs are too powerful, it's how everyone feels about their enemies. For me, constantly getting pummelled to pixie dust by Vanguards and Magriders taught me that the Prowler appears under powered.

Consider, a Lightning can kill a Harasser in 3 shots a prowler by virtue of it's twin guns needs 4.
    The point of the unique MBTs is that they each have pros and cons.

If you remove the cons of the Magrider to achieve balance you would need to remove the cons from the Vanguard and Prowler, the result would be the same perceived imbalance as you'd still only ever experience deaths while using your own units at the hands of enemy units.
  8. TheZetifate1745

Hi my friend i do agree magrider need buff i think they should increase magburn tome to 3 seconds and make you go 120 kph. Make the recharge 10 seconds. Also make it faster than vanguard or prowler. I did a test basic prowler vanguard go faster than magrider. Since you have to turn whole tank to shoot make all sides front back left right equal protection like 15 more percent of what the side armor currently is. Or make front armor super op. Make the mag also op by making it not activitate mines cuz it hovers(science ) Thats all i can think of.
  9. TheZetifate1745

I have nother idea just remove bullet drop from every singe friggin vanu weapon like wtf lasers pew pew. (Science)
  10. Nabutso

are your posts real or a joke
  11. Ziggurat8

Magriders should fly. I think that's the buff you're really looking for. Remove magburn and engage flight mode, it acts the same as LA jump jets.

Honestly man, Magriders are awesome as they are. They're far easier to gun while driving than the tracked MBT's while having similar resistances and hp. Sure vs other MBT's they feel weaker in direct confrontation; the Vanguard is beefier and the prowler has higher dps. Versus everything else in the game they're MBT's with MBT resistance and HP. They take the same mines, rockets, grenades, basilisk shots etc to kill them. All while being far easier to control during frenetic combat situations.

I'd take a buff to the magrider for the sake of exploiting it as I main VS and I'm working on my auraxium, but they really don't need it.
  12. oracle617

First of all I can't play infantry because i play on a US server from Asia from last 1 year. Ping issues, hence stats do not show my 'skill level'. You are seriously telling a person who has put so many hours into a game is bad? I suggest you go play the game instead of trolling on forumside. I do have Tr and Nc accounts and I go NC for gunning for a vanny tanker friend (Artoch). And you are saying 46% accuracy on a long range ( > 300m) FPC is bad . And a 4.5K/D with 95% vehicle kills is bad? Hahaha.:rolleyes: Because that is the range I tend to use Maggies at. Love shooting them ESFS and libs down from the sky. Learn before you spew stupidity in the forums. Some of the vanu people who actually play this game can attest to my skills. ;)
  13. oracle617

:)
    The only viable suggestion I think is to make magburn last for longer as you said, not to rustle Tr and NC too much :p
  14. oracle617

Exactly my point, We have the play as a heavy harasser and not as a direct spearhead. This makes the VS lightnings have to take that responsibility. Against experienced Tr & NC MBT's who are spear heading , this becomes a disadvantage for Vanu, as they will most likely be crushed . One thing I notice is that TR and NC MBT's are often single manned- why would you do this to your own people :p A good tank fight regularly happens between Indar Ex and Quartz ridge on Indar. You will get my point if you observe the fights. Good vanu pilots have to perch up on the right hill to do flanky damage. But eventually the armor pushes.
  15. oracle617

Would love to have TENC or ECUS or any other vehicle oriented outfit's views on them :)
  16. Demigan

I'm not telling you that you are bad, I'm telling you that you score below average. I'm also telling you that your score is affecting your idea of the Magrider, and that you have to use the other tanks as well as learn more intricate attacks to win the battles.
    Tank battles should be the least affected by ping unless you are constantly cutting it close and truly die within 1 second before you killed them (assuming you have a ping of a whole freaking second here!).

I do play the game, and I don't troll.

You didn't say, and your experiences indicated you didn't.

The average accuracy for players using the FPC is 51%, so yeah, you miss a whole lot more than the average player.
    That aside, what do you accomplish with your accuracy? If you had only 10% accuracy but actually got the kills with it, it wouldn't matter would it?

how about "yes"?
    Besides that you are picking scores. The 4,5KD is overall, while your actual FPC KD is 3,9 or something. The AI kills vs Vkills on the FPC is 95%, but overall it's 71%.
    Now considering the VKDR, which would have been far more interesting to put up and a far more convincing stat, you might not be completely below average (assuming you don't somehow kill Flashes all day). A VKDR of 3,2 isn't bad as far as I can tell (but as usual, VKD is almost completely ignored and tough to find and compare for multiple players). However your playstyle must be extremely extremely long-range "keep away from anything remotely AV", and your stats suffer for it.
    Learn other tactics. Learn to use the Magrider as a brawler, it's completely possible. Learn to use the Magrider in mid-range combat. Learn to flank with a Vanguard and your Magrider flanks will completely dominate, although I would suggest learning to use the Lightning for flanks first.
    But what you shouldn't do, is assume that just because your current playstyle can only accomplish something at long-range it means that the Magrider is bad any stuff.

I learn, and you should follow your own advice. And I'm sure you have skills, but they are very niche and it shows in how almost all your stats are below average. And don't blame this on ping alone, otherwise you wouldn't be shooting them ESF's and Libs down now would you?
  17. oracle617

Ping doesn't affect vehicle play as much as infantry. I invite you to gun for me on my maggy ( emerald)-gun your preference (halberd/saron maxed out) and then give suggestions on how i should be better. My loadout ( Max fpc 2x zoom, max stealth, max racer, max halberd/saron)Thanks. Almost all my gunners want to gun with me if iam online and I know to do some slick climbs , flanks and jumps that only a few know are possible. I only do flanks, no frontal combat-unless terrain forces. I do brawl with the maggy too, generally if not overpopped . Realised brawling up close with the other 2/2 mbts generally leave you with only 1/4 hp to become an easy kill for someone else. Magriders are not meant for close quarter brawling without terrain advantage against other MBTS rather a mid/long range Versus lightnings ofc its very easy to melt them, Ive taken out entire armor alone alone as 2/2 maggy by getting that high ground and stealth flanking. My xp on a maggy per life is min 25k, max reached 80k w/o boosts. If you would like a new experience, call me ;) Thats all I will say .
  18. Liewec123

a well played mag team are absolute hell to fight, i don't think mag needs any buffing,
    statistically it usually out performs vanguard and hovers around the middle of the MBT hierarchy with prowler preforming the best and vanguard crawling behind in 3rd place.
    i'd be fine if they made magburner omnidirectional though, that could be fun to play with :D
    i might actually switch to magburner then, currently i run fire suppression on my maggy :)
  19. adamts01

Regarding faction specific vehicles I think it's important to look at the big picture. Tanks are almost always compared using Tank vs Tank arguments, which is understandable, but there's so much more to it. People write too much to read everything, so maybe it's already been mentioned, but Magriders are infinitely more survivable against air than the Prowler and slightly more so than Vanguards. That extra axis of movement makes them harder to hit than most other vehicles out there. I think all the factions are pretty well balanced in the big picture, despite some weapons/chassis having a clear advantage in some areas.
    • Up x 1
  20. Demigan

I already said that, which is why saying your stats are lower because of ping isn't a great argument.

as entertaining as that sounds, I live in Europe and don't really have an intention of creating a character in America just for this purpose.

Also isn't it strange what you claim here? "If I win I still have a whopping 25% health left! but... Oh dear god... I then am an easier target for other enemies?" Just the fact that you can survive with 25% health in a direct MBT vs MBT fight with a Magrider shows the Magriders superiority right? And if there's any MBT that can get back to (relative) safety and repair up again, it's the Magrider.

Your XP on a Maggy per life is a minimum of 25K? Ok, you have an average SPM of 186 on the Magrider. So on average you claim to survive 2 and a half hours per Magrider to reach that number.
    Ofcourse, with 1080 deaths on the Magrider (which doesn't count every time you bailed out in time!) and 310 hours played, at the very best, assuming you never bail and always die with your Magrider, you survive a little bit less than half an hour per Magrider. That's still a solid number, but pretty far from what you claim.
    Also considering your claims of laying waste of entire tank battalions... What on earth do you want to upgrade the Magrider for? How can you claim the Magrider being underpowered and requiring upgrades if you can do that? And if you are capable of laying waste to entire tank battalions, how can your stats be below average with just about every single statistic found for Magrider weapons and usage?
    • Up x 2