How big is a meter in-game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Arreo, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Krona

Despite what people say, an in game meter is much closer to a foot in real life, if you consider how fast our characters run.

15m a second lols.
  2. Morpholine

English didn't originate in the 5th century. Instead it begged, borrowed, and outright stole from numerous parent languages.

And I refuse to take any linguistic chastisement seriously if it comes from a culture that regularly pronounces a non-existant i in the word "aluminum". ;)
  3. Pyro Force

Just set a personal waypoint somewhere (not in warpgate, they end up on the bubble) You'll probably have to do 10 meters/metres due to the size, but it should give you a decent idea
  4. DeusExMachina

That's why we write alumnum... oh wait.
  5. Morpholine

15 m/s is a 100 meter dash time of 6.667 seconds. It's certainly an impressive pace (especially considering it can be maintained indefinitely), but then again, we are speaking about 2 meter tall people on an alien planet that are regularly cloned from nothingness by the awesome power of nanites.

Edit: to ^: I can watch BBC for 15 minutes and stumble across multiple instances of it being pronounced "aluminium".
  6. DeusExMachina

"15m a second lols"

Well that explains matrix dodges that ppl do when you snipe them.
  7. Krona

Whilst carrying a full combat load.
  8. Mootar

Are you saying that the word Aluminium (ALU-MIN-IUM) should be pronounced "Alu-min-um" or that you regularly watch BBC and see mulitple instances of it being pronounced correctly?
  9. Bosskscosco

It's aluminium.
  10. Morpholine

History lesson:

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele013.html

The spelling the Brits use just falls in with their love of unneccessary letters in common words, such as "colour" and "armour". The only real anomaly is they actually pronounce this one.

(Side note: just jabbing at you. It's a slow day at work.)
  11. Bosskscosco

Just because USA is using aluminum it doesn't make it right.

It's aluminium.
  12. Morpholine

I see Danes, Germans, French, and Americans listed in the linked history lesson as key people in the discovery and refinement method development of aluminum.

Not a single Brit.

Just sayin'.

And we're far, far off the original topic, so I shall stop, lest the disciplinary hammer of the mods land upon me.
  13. Bosskscosco

Rest of the Europe is using aluminium too.
  14. Mootar

A terrible website written by a dozy american is not a history lesson by any stretch of the imagination.

Aluminium was named in 1807 by english chemist Humphrey Davey and originally named Aluminum, by 1812 the enitire scientific community settled on "Aluminium".

The American Chemical Society adopted the spelling "Aluminum" in 1925 because people were generally too stupid to pronounce "Aluminium"

The IUPAC officially standardised on Aluminium in 1990.

I prefer this topic, it's a slow day.
    • Up x 1
  15. Arquin

Crank the fov to a ridicilous number and everything looks like you're on LSD.
  16. Nathaniak

You can use waypoints or the distance markers above points to get an idea as to what the game defines as a metre.
  17. DeusExMachina

Yeah, at last something interesting, educating and not pointless on this forums :)
  18. Darlith

Most of the weird American spellings aren't because Americans are stupid. They exist because Noah Webster really really hated the British so when he made his dictionary he spelled things differently on purpose to distinguish American English from British English.

The main lesson we can take from this is being a dick to the Brits is an American tradition.
  19. Morpholine

In all fairness, the Brits started it.
  20. Cloel

All you people here who are like "duhrrr it's a meter, ya idiot" are ******* noobs.

The units of measurement in games are not consistent from game to game almost never accurate, and often times fairly INaccurate. Mass Effect is a great example. Meters in Mass Effect seem to be closer to half meters relative to player models. Unreal Engine, for example, uses a unit of measurement known as UU, and over the years has represented multiple different scale values because of the way that scale is actually rendered or compared.

OP is asking an important question for anyone who's serious about understanding games stats to know, and you all should stop thumbing your nose at it cos all that does is help us OG gamers recognize you as ******* idiots.