[Suggestion] How about depolyable forcefields for engineers.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Monnor, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Monnor

It would be a nice thing. But not like spawnroom shields, you should not be able too shoot through.
    • Up x 9
  2. MNO

Like 2142?
    • Up x 1
  3. forkyar

negative,this is planetside
  4. vampwood

Why not? The mana turrets are used in this regard currently because they're pretty much useless, I know a lot of people myself included use the mana turret as mobile cover, what is wrong with making it official with a new tool and readjusting the mana turret to be useful.
    • Up x 2
  5. Yetskii

You mean, like in Tribes?

Sorry, this is not Tribes
  6. vampwood

Battlefield had mines! No to mines! Wait they had guns as well! NO TO THAT!
    • Up x 4
  7. tjalfe

that would be pretty cool i think ^^ would fix some of the issue's with ninja killing sunders as well :p
  8. JeanLannes

No offence intended to the two posters who did this, but that is something that seriously annoys me. Nay saying something just because it was in another game is not an adequate response as to why you do not want something. Give us a reason, even if it is just a sentence saying something like "I think it will spoil the rapid flow of infantry combat" or really anything else apart from "No, it was in such and such game."

Also why is it bad if PS2 borrows good features from other games? Look if you think they are trying to borrow bad features then say so, and explain why you think they are bad features for PS2. But I just cannot get behind the logic that says simply because something is in another game that it immediately is disqualified from being of use or applicable to PS2 - there has to be a reason why you think that not simply because it is in another title.

Anyway sorry for that rant, and again I mean no offence to those two posters and I invite them to give their reasons because I would genuinely be interested to hear them. :)

As to the original poster's suggestion I think that it could be a very interesting addition and could really add an extra dynamic to infantry combat; I also like the fact that you said that shields would work so that people can't shoot out from them either, I think that is a nice compromise for the fact that they are mobile.

Just my two cents as always. :D
    • Up x 5
  9. Keelin

I'm fairly sure that there were certs for something like this in the beta.
    And for an aegis shield for the medic that blocked bullets and healed, i believe.
    They are gone now though, like so many other things that weren't finished in time.
    I'm guessing they will come back eventually.
  10. TheBloodEagle

=(
  11. Over00

I see no reason why I couldn't work, but it would need to be carefully weighed and measured. Make the force field too big and you've gone and made an impenetrable fortress out of a building with an army of engineers. Too small and its useless.

I'd suggest having a small deploy radius similar to the current sunderer design (Of course, MUCH less range) so that massive lines of force fields aren't possible.
  12. JeanLannes

Or an alternative to an exclusion zone near other deployed shields would be to give them a very short time during which they were active; making when to deploy them requiring a keen awareness, too soon or too late and they are useless.

But hey the exclusion thing works as well if you intend to give them a longer deploy time. :)
  13. Monnor

• Up x 1
  14. myrmexaw

A great idea would be to have engineer deploy force field beacon , to active a beacon you need at least 2 engineer ( 1 each side ) or you could have 3 engineer deploy a V shaped force field and even 4 engineer deploying a square force field.

Max distance 2 meter with similar to how sunderer deploy on the map ( giant circle except on the opposite side where you can only deploy inside the circle.

To add counter add in EMP grenade that disable shields along with terminals, turrets and other various gadget ( such as IRNV scope ).
  15. irishroy

16. Monnor

It should be a open field defence against vehicle spam for infantry. Friendly vehicles should not be able to hide under. Really , i have nothing agains vehicles, but really, tanks rocketpods and even liberator can hit you inside buildings. Its easy to handle if there 2-3 but a wole platoon. I dont want a nerf, or weaken them , just put something in which give you defence. And i dont say, it must be the ultimate defence, you shouldnt be able to shoot out. I would say it should even be able for enemys to move in and destroy the genrator, if some can handle it. So it would prevent too much offensiv use for it.
  17. JP_Russell

I'd be all for it. Not a big fan of the mana turret as it's pretty weak and tends to be a headshot magnet, so I'd gladly replace it with something like this.
  18. a golden fishy

This is a good idea in my opinion, the only thing is, you have a lot of things that can go wrong. Personally I would like to see a shield that has an HP amount just like a normal vehicle has, that you can repair, BUT it also has a time limit so it wont be around forever. Also, it should be tall enough to cover an infantry unit while repairing a friendly vehicle, because you know that will be one of the main uses.

Having it to where you cant place it so close to another shield would be good, but it cant be too far, I Would only say about 5-10 meters is good enough, giving a good amount of gap for enemy infantry to move though it, Also allows enough infantry to do a staggered formation of shields to hold off enemy troops even more effectively.

It should have enough HP to hold a good amount of fire from small arms, but a MAX or a rocket will really push it to the point to where maybe 1-2 good hits will drop it quickly. You could also implement the MAX's ability to just charge though it and break it instantly. Also, it needs to be pretty hard to look though for both sides ( essentially only see blobs of players) so you cant just look though the thing and jump around when a person shows up like a dick...

Overall, it's a good idea, and I think the Devs should really think about adding this to the game, but there will probably be some stupid **** they do that will make it just annoying. Like, make you cost 500 certs to give it 2 more seconds of activity out of the 6 it has.. >.>
    • Up x 1
  19. JeanLannes

I quite like your suggestions, just thought I'd say that seeing as liking a post I have found doesn't always imply agreement. :)
  20. vampwood

Just make it block projectiles but infantry can pass through with ease.