Honest opinion on the VS Mag Rider?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thrix, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Flag

You should use the mag, then you'd know far from reality some of your "claims" are.
  2. LordAnnihilator

Woah dude, chill the F out. Ok, we get it, Magriders and Prowlers are OP, NC gets the short end of the stick. I get it, and would sympathise, but I'm a new player and am TR, so I honestly can't. Hope you've got your frustration out of your system.
  3. Liewec123

i think its awesome, the ability to strafe and fire shots with no recoil and very little crosshair wobble from the terrain makes it a monster for long range tank duels.
    it was the first of the 3 MBTs that i bothered to pour certs into :)
  4. Cynicismic

Fair enough; guess I was wrong. Live and let learn, I suppose...

I needn't reemphasize what Flag posted.
  5. Benton582

Fine, lemme rephrase that, EXCEPT FOR NOOBIES.
    Sir, it's been 3 years running. And I've been here for 2 years. BTW, welcome to the game. Don't forget to take cover, seriously.
  6. Shiaari

Some of the posts in this thread are truly idiotic. It's beyond the pale that so many people can be so stupid.

Ok, so you can "survive" in it for hours, and retreat before taking further damage. You are maneuverable, but not hard to hit.

Basically, in a Magrider you can control the engagement up to a point, and that point is the very moment you actually need to fight.

A Vanguard or Prowler can drive you back with great ease. You're not fast enough to flank, not accurate enough to exchange fire at range, not armored enough to take a beating.

Those of you saying the Magrider is overpowered are just bad drivers or bad shots. Or both. Perhaps you're the kind of MBT driver who runs off without a gunner. Dunno. But, if you're losing excessively to Magriders in Prowlers or Vanguards, you're doing something wrong.
    • Up x 2
  7. Flag

The mag is only ever "op" when the opposition is very noob-y and the magrider user isn't, at least not to the same degree.
    • Up x 1
  8. Shiaari

So much wrong here.

It SUCKS for long range tank battles. Vanguard AP has much higher velocity and very little drop. It hits harder too. If you think you're going to outshoot a Vanguard at range with a Magrider then I want what you're smoking.

The same goes for the Prowler, especially if it's anchored and far away. A Magrider can't outshoot a long range fight with either of these vehicles on its best day.
    • Up x 1
  9. Jake the Dog

On tanks in this game, the magrider is the most fun, because its wierd and you do wierd things in it like wagon wheeling up a cliff. The prowler can get some crazy scenarios of ridiculous damage thanks to the deploy feature, the vanguard though... Shes a mean son-of-a-b****. Imho when you learn how to use her, she's easily one of the nastiest tanks, and then that moment when you finally master her... everyone becomes FOOD FOR THE VANGOD.

But thats just me, everyone else hates it oh well.
  10. Liewec123

prowler is the ultimate long range AV, i'll give you that, but vanguards are easy for a magrider.
    once you've found "the sweet spot" to get your first shot to hit you shouldn't miss again since there is no recoil, just keep strafing, dodging their shots while landing all of your own.
    i have all 3 certed up, so i know their strengths and weaknesses.
    unless you're face to face with nowhere to hide, vanguard is easily the weakest of the 3
  11. HadesR

While Not OP it's mobility is a huge asset that's mostly played down by the VS ..

Is it the best MBT v MBT tank ? No

But it's mobility to get to places other MBT's can't make it a huge base attack and infantry support asset ..

It's doesn't need a nerf .. Far from it .. but it's also far from as bad as some VS would like us to believe ( yourself not included )
  12. Littleman

The MagRider is the Arkham Knight Batmobile in Planetside 2. It's the most fun and responsive tank. Not by any means the best in a short ranged 1 on 1, but it's long range avoidance capability is unparalleled. Plus, most infantry dumb fires simply aren't fast enough even at short range to catch it if it makes a move to avoid the rocket.

Basically, it's the "best" tank because it has so much going for it... except raw firepower. But that's par for the course on the VS.

Maybe if Lightnings could transform into some weird quad thing people wouldn't have as much of an issue with MagRiders?
  13. Benton582

1st, Maybe a bit too maneuverable don't you think? I've played with it myself, and you can hover in ALL directions. Lowering muzzle velocity isn't a fix, nor is HP when it comes to extreme distance, given often it is in number by experienced vanu players and their organized platoons. And in terms of MBT, Magriders take just as much punishment in all sides regardless. And lock-ons are the pitiful that hiding your mid section on land makes you lose the lock.

2nd, ease my ***, you know damn well that NC never really does Vanguard pushes even close to often. TR always does it. One famous phrase, NC never pushes. And accuracy? It should be easier to shoot from all angles instead of being locked to one location due to the Vanguard being so damn bulky and slow. You can get anywhere much more quickly.

3rd, you know you already won a big *** majority over alerts right? That's living proof that Vanu has too much experenced players and pop, while TR and NC are stuck with smaller organization, NC a bit less.

4th, GUNNERS DO NOT GROW ON TREES, a gunner nearly never appears, unless there are like 96+ or coordination. Most Magriders somehow get a gunner, or they are pro enough to solo it themselves.
  14. MutantDonut

I dunno, i've only gunned a few times with one of my clanmates, but those times man, we kicked ***! Often out score would reach 10-15k in 8 minutes. :D

(Keep in mind that we're on ps4, and VS is 25% pop there)
  15. MikeyGeeMan

I've not piloted it much but it is great to use with unconventional fire lines. It can go almost anywhere and that is a very good ability

On the receiving end , Maggies are great at farming or getting a lockdown on a base since it's so moveable. Ie can get to places no other tank can.

But don't expect to make an armor column of Maggies and push through a line on a regular basis.

Prowler - artillery and deadly when grouped up with other prowlers.
    Vanguard - a bunch of these with a good shield can punch through any line. One on one I fear these the most.
    Maggie - all rounder with a very mobile platform not overwhelming but very good if you practice with it as it's not a normal tank.
  16. Taemien

Useless for the most part. Much like its counterparts the Vanguard and Prowler. This is not a design flaw of the Main Battle Tank as a design however. For what they are designed to do, all MBTs are well constructed, designed, and in theory, have tons of potential while showing the unique traits of their factions.

But why do I call them useless? Here's why: They contribute very little if anything to a base capture. They provide a marginal benefit to a bases defense by being very capable of destroying deployed sunderers. But the only reason an attacking force should ever consider bringing a MBT to an attack is because the defenders are bringing their own to hit your sundies.

Even then you don't really need a sunderer to attack a base. The only time you need a sundy is if you need a zerg to fight another zerg so you can slip in while they're distracted.

That's pretty situational if you think about it. Especially for an attack.

1. Enemy zerg present at base you wish to attack.
    2. Friendly zerg is willing to push forward at that particular base (doesn't count if they are elsewhere).
    3. Enemy defenders have MBT access.
    4. Zergling sunderer is vulnerable to MBT

If those 4 conditions are met, you have a use for a MBT as an attacker.

This doesn't reference how they are currently used. Because lets face it. MBTs are big. They have firepower. They're sexy. And most of all their fun to drive around. So if you're not using it in the method I described above. You're not doing anything wrong. You're just not doing much to win the current alert. And if that isn't your goal anyway, keep doing what you're doing.

But there are some of us who play to win alerts and capture bases and we grieve the idea that a 450 nanite vehicle, something that costs thousands of certs to kit out... isn't as useful as the free carbine or LMG we start with. At least useful in the sense of winning a base or alert (not speaking of casual uses of the tank).

If the base itself could be attacked directly. As a means of providing our friendly infantry an easier way in (destroyed walls, doorways, ceilings, or floors), or make an obstacle for the defenders (destroyed tunnels, bridges, exposed walls and ceilings). Then that would be a different story. The idea isn't to make tanks more deadly to infantry. We're already parking them outside spawns, they're deadly enough. No we need another target. Especially when the defenders don't bring tanks of their own (why would they in most cases? They have an invulnerable base).
    • Up x 1
  17. asmodraxus

Put it this way

AV Lightning > AV 1/2 Magrider

2 AV Lightning >> 1 2/2 Magrider

More health, much more DPS

Prowler > AV Lightning (more DPS and health)
    Vanguard > AV Lightning (less DPS much more health)
  18. Imp C Bravo

Highest skill floor highest skill ceiling tank. Slowest, lowest health, hardest to hit with. Most mobile. Requires thought to use -- but can be good. Its not OP, and when played well not UP.
  19. RedArmy

the Magrider is one of the easiest and yet hardest tanks to kill in the game.
    with a skilled driver you can go hours without even taking a hit with its ability to straife, and noob drivers die in 15 seconds or less.
    its really all about the sittuation where its used. magriders are best used within areas of moderate cover and should be operated like a helicopter instead of a tank. while anything is deadly in groups magriders with its low to the ground main weapon suffers the most and can actually eng up killing each other more than the enemy actually does with the inability to see anything.
    Magriders are exceptionally weak vs ramming, even flashes able to flip and kill magriders without firing a shot. Pinning them against walls is another easy tactic.
    but when using like a helicopter avoid and evade style with no more than a trio you should be able to kill anything without difficulty.
  20. Shiaari

You need to play on Emerald. NC pushes all the time. TR pushes all the time. VS pushes all the time. I dunno what goes on the other servers, but my opinion of players on other servers is dwindling quickly. But that's all opinion. Let's address your points.

The Magrider is the slowest tank in the game. Yes, the Vanguard and Prowler both move faster going forward. Just because a Mag can strafe doesn't make it too maneuverable. You may be new to the game, and so you may be unaware of how these vehicles have evolved over the years. Once upon a time the Magrider actually was able to dodge shots at will, much closer than they can now. The devs came up with a solution, to buff the muzzle velocities of the other two MBTs such that they could hit Magriders at much further ranges. Currently, a Magrider needs to be much further away than ever before to dodge a shot by strafing. Combat chassis makes up for this, but leaves the tank very slow otherwise.

At ranges where a Magrider can dodge a shot by strafing it's beyond the effective range to return fire. The devs did this in order to try and balance it out. Magrider shots are very slow with great arcs. This gives the tracked MBTs time to dodge at range, and they do. Yet, at actual combat ranges they can hit Magriders much easier than they can be hit back.

VS on Emerald use Lightnings more than they use Magriders. Lightnings are more useful.
    • Up x 1