[BUG] Headshots: Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jests, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SeventhFrost

Well, those on this thread who've said that the scopes are "zeroed in at something, well, besides 0" are completely, 100% correct. That's exactly what's happening. Aside from the assorted bugs that tag along with this, problem has been identified, right guys?

Now, what we need to do is delve into it a bit more. I'm a fairly new player to this game (started in december) who's anything but new to sniping in games. I have all the invil weapons on VS and NC and have used them all quite a lot.

My favorite two snipers are the SAS-R with a 4x TrueShot, close second being the parallax/longshot with 8/7 or 12x scopes. Now I've been aware of this mechanic for quite a long time, and gotten much more experience with it than most (being that I use a sniper in close range with a 4x scope). I've noticed, because of this, that not only are the snipers zeroed in at range, but they're most likely different ranges for each sniper/scope. Maybe even a combination of the two.

From what I can tell, though, is that my friend, using the longshot + 12x, sitting at 250m, has maybe half of a mil-dot of drop. Probably less, and at 150-175m, has literally none. Me, on the other hand, sitting right next to him with the longshot 7x scope, have a full mil-dot at 250m, and slight, maybe a quarter, mil-dot drop at 150m (so i aim just above the head and hit between the eyes).

This suggests that the 12x on the longshot is zeroed in at around 150m, and the 7x on it means around 100 or 125m. I use clean numbers because they're easier to factor in, and more likely the case.
    Now, using my SAS-R with 4x scope at 250m, I get much more drop. This can be directly accredited to the lower bullet speed, but even then it shouldn't be that much. I also, however, miss headshots by aiming at the tip of the head of my enemy, or the forehead. This, granted could be hitbox error sometimes or just plain missing, but with the rate it happens at when I'm sure it should hit, it means that even with the 4x scope and a bolt action still means i'm not zeroed in at zero/point blank (not that this is unnatural).

I'd love to see more tests on the subject, as it's something I'd love to know the exact numbers for.
  2. Vikarius

Ive had quite a few scenarios where I will be on a rock formation and an enemy will be ontop of a building (the ones with railings around it) standing there able to shoot down at pple on the ground but every single headshot I clearly land, acts as if its hitting an invisible wall that stretches higher then the targets head (when clearly the real railing only measures up to the bottom of their chest)
  3. Lakora

I had this the other day, thought I was bugged... I was sitting "ontop" at a Techplant aiming basically straight down at VS, got all headshots, kinda impossible not too since they were all cuddling in a corner. But no, nothing I spent my entire ammo on them for one of their infils look up at me and kill me.
  4. hostilechild

There is a bug in the game causing shots at long range to go through people. Its the render distance issue, if both of you can not render each other then you can't hurt each other (except by like grenade etc.). Example he is in a huge fight with 100s of people around, you are 250m away and see him at the edge of this fight (he however can see about 5m) You will shoot through him.

Then there is simply the fact that hit detection is wonkers at times (again typically in heavily fought areas) where it seems the server drops packets (overloaded).

Then there is the annoying obstacles, rails, boxes etc that have hit boxes not where the viewed object is depending on the angle you are at.

I rarely play sniper any more as i got so annoyed with shooting objects my gun was clearly above or missing objects that were clearly above a rail etc. and shots going through people.
  5. Intruder313

Just a comment on "Nanoweave 5 saving them": it won't do any such thing since a Longshot Headshot is 1,200 damage while the normal Bolt-Actions do 1125. Sniper Rifles have no damage drop-off.

Maximum "Health" with Nanoweave 5 is 625 + 500 Shield = 1125.

So any Bolt-Action Headshot is a kill except for Heavies using the NMG (Sniper Rifles ignore the Resist Shield alternative).
  6. Syntera

I have some doubts about this, recently I am noticing that more and more people seem to live with just a tiny bit of health left after a headshot with the Longshot and these weren't HA's with shields.
  7. Dr. Euthanasia

Yeah, personal experience tells me that this is just outright wrong. I play Infiltrator with Nanoweave rank 5 and I've survived headshots from a variety of bolt-action snipers at long range with under 25% of my health remaining. They definitely have damage drop over range.