[BUG] Headshots: Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jests, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Nimas

Using longshot last night, this happened to me. Looking down on a TR infil, put 2 through the head, nothing. Then figured something was wrong, went centre mass and still nothing.

I figured it was just a symptom of another bug that happened about 10 seconds after these shots though, the one where the foreground will flicker away and disappear (basically just leaving you looking at sky everywhere).
  2. Stadulator

VS using the VX10 with 10X scope

Happens to me all the time, some times 2-3 shots in a row. Funny thing, it seems the target doesn't notice the shot as they don't seem to move or try and find the tracer.

It's super frustrating. You KNOW you were on target but get nothing :(
  3. Jests

This is true, it's WAY more noticeable (even with the NC bolt driver) looking down-ish on people. Especially if you're in a nice perch. It still happens on relatively level ground, though. It also happens way more frequently if they're on a hill and you're firing up.
  4. Blayde911

Precisely this; when I first unlocked the longshot, I noticed that the bullet arcs like a real bullet, it rises a little over the first 60-70 meters or so. It's zero'd in (meaning the bullet will hit the target exactly where you aim it.) for ranges between 80 and 120 meteres. and then after that bullet drop slowly starts to kick in. If you're close, or looking down at your target, aim low.
  5. Jests

It happens to me at long range too though. I don't know. I didn't get anyone to test it last night. Hopefully tonight I'll have a better time.

It's weird because I'm watching Koolaidline's montage again and I'm watching for it... he doesn't seem to have the same problem as I do. I wish my computer was good enough to run fraps ans PS2 at the same time so I could show what I'm talking about.
  6. Chestor

Just a question, but the shots going through heads, where these people by chance standing next to one of the anti-air or phalanx turrets? Last night while playing I put 3 shots right through the head of a player standing not moving, then i looked at the name of the player and the player in the anti-air turret he was standing next to, they were the same. So it seems like even though they are in the turret they are still showing outside it.
  7. jhwoody

There are a couple of different things that occur while sniping that goof up your shots.

First, the bullet does initially arc up, so in a close range shot, aiming at the forehead, the bullet will go over the target. I'm not sure where they have the scopes zero'd in the game, but if you are really close you have to account for the bullet rise. For close range shots, I aim at the neck, just under the jaw line.

Second, the game does occasionally register a hit but not give you credit. I have had multiple instances where I shoot, see the target's head snap back and them fall to the ground but get no kill credit.

Third, there are cases where you shoot someone, hear the 'thwap' of the bullet meeting flesh, see them target's head jerk, but nothing else happens. They don't die, no health is lost, and sometimes it seems they aren't even aware they were shot.

Fourth, as the OP pointed out, I have had clean head shots where I saw the bullet track into their head and absolutely nothing happened. They just stood there.

Finally, sometimes I shoot and engineer or other player standing right next to a phalanx turret, but not in it and the turret seems to catch the bullet even though graphically, it was a head shot.

I am not sure if these are all separate issues or if they, except for the first one, are all symptoms of hitbox discrepancies or what. But one thing is for sure, a head shot is not always a head shot in this game.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jests

I know what you're talking about! That's annoying as well, but not what I'm referring too.
  9. Arpoc

Sometimes, when you release a round while sniping from cover, the scope can give a false impression that your rifle's barrel is clear of the very cover you're hiding behind. While the scope shows nothing in the way from your rifle's barrel to the target's skull and you're crouched too deep or right up against a outcropping, your round might not make it 1 meter unless you're paying attention. This some players the idea that they were on their mark but were otherwise robbed of kill.

I play this game on a very, very high end rig. I have almost never been able to figure out why a headshot wasn't a headshot.

There have been a couple times where what the OP described has happened and I couldn't explain it. But it has only happened two or three times and only at extremely long ranges. (350m-400+m)
  10. sharknice

If you are above someone shooting down at them the hit registration is really messed up sometimes.
    I have experienced exactly what you're talking about very many times shooting from above.
    I'll aim for their head and it just goes through them and does no damage.
  11. Booface

This is true, I've especially noticed it at big angles--i.e. when you're shooting down a cliff or up a cliff. The scope is zero'd, so there's a weird arc. You have to watch the bullet trajectory and compensate. It'll look like you have them in your sights, but the bullet will fly over or under. For example, when shooting up a cliff you kind of have to aim at the chest if you want a headshot.

It's a little weird, but after logging some hours as sniper it sort of became second nature to compensate. It's even more noticeable if you use the bolt action scout rifles with a low magnification scope. Looks like a glitch at first, but it's just a side-effect of having actual projectiles instead of fake hitscans.
  12. Jests

It's interesting, yesterday I logged on and just started aiming at the base of people's necks and I got headshots alarmingly regularly. I watch other people play in gameplay videos (specifically koolaid) and they don't have anywhere near the same problem that I do. Koolaid seems to target the head roughly the same spot that I usually do... upper face/forehead.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the sprite for my cross-hair is off. Like I said, yesterday I started aiming at the neck/upper chest and I hit headshots WAY more frequently, and almost never missed due to going through them. The flip side of doing this, is there were, of course, several times where I was going for a headshot and it registered as a body shot (which to be fair, I was aiming at the body so these shots are actually registering correctly).

Again, though, these shots registered as headshots at a pretty alarmingly high rate.

FYI:
    I'm on the longshot with a x7 scope.
  13. Altijdwat

I always aim a little above the head at 150m, half the 1st line for 200m and 1st dot in the scope for 250m. I use a V10 + 12x scope.
  14. thefinn

Yeah you are totally right, I've had several times when I was shooting someone who wasn't moving, 50 feet from me, in the head, with a 12x scope, with no cover in between us and it just doesn't register a hit at all - on several occasions I had the opportunity to shoot more than once to verify and all shots were just "missing" as if they never happened. I am aware that sometimes cover will get in the way if you are really close to the covering object, this wasn't the case - it's obviously somewhat bugged but also only seems to be for sniper rifles. I can't work it out.

Nothing to do with armor as the shots just don't register at all - I have no idea why this occurs.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jests

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about.
  16. swenma

Just an FYI in case you didn't realize it.

The Longshot is less accurate than the L80 for example, though it does hit a little harder. At max render distance, your bullets may not be on target.
  17. iller

This is a very common problem in any game that doesn't allow the client to manually adjust their Interpolation Ratios
    UE3 engine games are particularly bad for it when the fools modding the code decide to mess with the scaling to try to fit it to their corner cutting tweaking on low-end server farms. This engine appears more based on BF3 but the hit registry is noticeably far worse against moving targets or targets that suddenly move AFTER the shot should have hit them.
  18. Kedric

LOL I noticed this too and thought I was just crazy or something. I guess hit boxes need a little looking into.
  19. Gypsycream

It's happened a few times where I would shoot somebody in the head, actually see their character do the flinching animation, but the hit didn't register. It hasn't happened for a while tho, they might have fixed it, but I wouldn't notice anyway as I'm almost exclusively using the bolt now.
    Personally I think the hit boxes are fine, it's the hit reg that's the problem.
  20. Dubious

Make sure you dont actually hit the terrain you are hiding behind since the bullets dont come out of your weapon, but out of your groin area (somewhat factual)
    Dosent matter if your whole weapon is showing and you have perfect aim with as long as your groin is behind a stone (tested)