[BUG] Headshots: Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jests, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jests

I've been playing this game for a few weeks now, almost exclusively as an infiltrator and a sniper with a bolt action rifle. I'm on NC, so my starting rifle was bolt action. I unlocked the longshot yesterday, and am loving it. I've probably logged ~ 1000 kills with a sniper rifle. Maybe just under.

I tell you this not to brag, but to just let you know as a qualifier. I'm far from a seasoned sniper vet, but I'm also am not totally new to sniping and I always play a sniper in FPSes.

Am I crazy, or do sometimes headshots not register? I usually aim for the forehead in other games when I snipe, however I've noticed in this game that can easily trigger a miss.

At first, I thought it was because my targets were running and I wasn't leading enough, or too much, but now that I'm aware of it I've noticed it happens a LOT on targets that are standing still. I'll aim at their head and the bullet will go right through it.

I wasn't sure if I was crazy or not (because I just unlocked the longshot so I figured maybe it's an adjustment due to no bulletdrop) but to test it out I aimed at someone's neck/upper chest and I got a head shot! :eek:

What's going on here? Am I losing it or is this pretty common knowledge? If so, help a guy out. I've been working with bullet drop for so long now I don't know where to aim. If the forehead/upper face can cause a miss, is there a well known spot I should aim to more reliably get headshots?

*edit*
    Just to clarify:

I'm not talking like "that should have been a headshot but it was a body shot instead". I'm saying the bullet straight up just goes through them and doesn't do any damage at all.
    • Up x 2
  2. metalfreak

Hey thank u! The same happend to my but i am VS. Tested from mid-long range with the V10 and parallax on 3 TR snipers not moving, i shot the head but i could not kill them, just in 2 hits!
  3. TribbleFluffer

Yes, some of the people your shooting at have maxed Nanoweave armor. It will allow some of them to survive with just 1 or 2 bars of health left. and yes..i do mean taking a shot to the nose.
    • Up x 1
  4. RBN

I think the hitboxes/hit detection is wonky sometimes.

I have confirmed hits on my screen, but the bar above the enemies head is still 100%.
    Or a guaranteed headshot registering a body shot. Its a bit hard to get a body shot if I only see his head.

Luckily it doesn't happen all the time.
    When sniping from a distance its not a big deal but in CQC its deadly.

I mainly use the V10.
    • Up x 2
  5. Jests

Just to clarify:

I'm not talking like "that should have been a headshot but it was a body shot instead". I'm saying the bullet straight up just goes through them and doesn't do any damage at all. No hit register, no hit indicator going off. Just a straight up miss but the tracer goes right through the top of their head.
  6. metalfreak

Ah ok, for me i just headshot them and they got full life or just little less, means i only got their shields down..
  7. Ghostfox

There is an issue with the head hit box.

The most notable ones is if you try to shoot from a larger angle.. the hit box doesn't line up with the art.

I've had shots at these angles where a shot to the middle of the forehead won't register but one to the upper chest will register as a headshot.
    • Up x 2
  8. metalfreak

Hopefully this is going to be fixed in the next patch
  9. SavageSage

Confrim, last night I had an NC infiltrator dead to rights using the Ghost, 4x. Was maybe 20 meters away, no way I could have missed but nothing happened, no damage.

Not the first time it's happened but definitely the most blatant.
    • Up x 3
  10. Haya jii san

I do confirm this as well as a Vanu Sniper using the Parallax. Thanks OP for bringing it up <3
  11. Mark467

I've never missed a kill if I was aiming at the head and less then 200m away.
  12. Jests

Interesting. What part of the head do you usually aim for?
  13. Khethatipet

• Up x 1
  14. metalfreak

I've barely missed a kill with headshots some months ago, after some patches its kinda aweful whats happening to the infiltrator
  15. Mark467

center
  16. ChironV

Hit detection at long ranges can be wonky.
    There have been times when I shoot at the chest because the head is hidden and I blow his cerebellum out and onto the wall behind him. Other times I aim for the head and the bullet appears to blow his family jewels accross the CY.
  17. Jests

I think I'm going to see if I can't find someone to test this with when I get off work. I won't be able to record it but I can say with certainty if it happens.
  18. Skadi

Something ive noticed, if their head is turned in a direction, either their head is THERE or it isnt there, sounds stupid i know, when they look down their head is down, therefore if you shoot where the head should be it wont headshot, BUT if your far away the head will -appear- to be upright, but it will be looking down, so realy if you wanted the headshot you should have shot at the chest :confused:
  19. ArcMinuteLight

It seems that one in every 15-20 headshots that you do within 100 meters of the guy, It'll hit him square in the back of the head. He'll turn around without his shield even being poped, shoot you in the foot, and its gee gee.
    Had it happen twice when shooting LAs and HAs in the back of the head; once with a Engy in the forehead.
    Something wonky with the head hitboxes when rendering infantry I assume but, what the hell?!
  20. Rigsta

I suspect you're seeing the same thing I saw when I bought the Parallax (VS-flavoured Longshot). The scope is zeroed for a certain range, so that at that range you just aim for the head and fire, and you get a headshot. Somewhere around the 200m mark?

So that makes aiming at long range easier, but it means that below a certain range or when firing at a steep down-angle the bullet will hit above where you aimed.

Oddly enough, my first hackusation came from a guy who was sitting on top of a doorframe at a tech plant when I headshotted him. I'd missed him 3 times by then before I figured out why I was missing and aimed for his neck.