Happy New Year & Update 02 Info!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Satanam

That's really awesome, but you could make it even better: 2x/3x SC event when the update comes out! :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  2. Inverness

Base defense has improved since tech test, because we kept insisting that bases actually needed walls to defend them and how absurd it was that you could just walk up to them from any direction. Zurvan was the first to get overhauled in this regard. I think I saw a picture of a floating around from the tech test before it had walls around it.

However, that change was equivalent from using a bandaid on a severed limb. It does nothing to fix the root cause which is that all bases in PS2 have a fundamentally bad design which is based on games like CoD and BF which prevents camping or any type of effective defense. The biolab, while being more defensible, is still designed like a pointless maze where people can pop out from any number of directions and kill you.

When I say base design got worse, I meant since PS1. In PS1, all bases had several features: completely encircled by a wall except for 2 gates (optionally shielded) and the back door. There were no windows, only a single large ground level door to the "lobby" and one or more doors on the second level (accessible by four catwalks from the walls). Each base had a back door leading from the wall into the underground level of the base for an alternate entry route. Bases did not have any enterable structures other than the main base it self, which had two or three above ground levels and two underground levels. The spawn room was always in an underground level, thus you could never be vehicle camped trying to push out into your base. The generator was also always in an underground level except for the biolab where it was on the roof in a small building.

Basically, then were several times more defendable than anything in PS2, even the biolab despite having the generator on the roof because there was only one door and no direct line of sight to the people in the generator room guarding it. There also weren't windows everywhere for you to throw grenades in.

Base turrets being automated would be nice. They were automated in PS1 (when nobody was occupying them) and would fire at any air vehicles that got to close or fired at them along with larger ground vehicles. They had a slower rate of fire than when occupied, but had perfect accuracy. This should definitely see a comeback in PS2.

Edit: The fact that several bases in PS2 require teleporters or jump pads to navigate is also indicative of bad design. Those should be akin to luxury items so you can easily get around the base when it's not being attacked. Attackers should be able to cut power to those and force you to use the manual route (stairs).

The fact that you can bunny hop infinitely around the walls of the base using jump pads while trying to chase an attacker who always makes it to the next pad before you is absurd. Having enemies be able to cross from the other side of the base in seconds due to those jump pads and surprise you and retreat so easily is also absurd.

You should feel relatively safe in your own base, and I never do unless I'm behind a spawn room shield.
    • Up x 5
  3. Arcanum

Awesome. It looks like it worked well back then, wasn't expecting that. It's a shame that feature probably won't make it to PS2 though.
  4. Stew360

This should never happen , immunity to revive player is by far the worst mechanics that could be implemented , it will lead to revive spam like no brainers peoples already have the possibility to accept or denied a revive they take it at their own risk

The only feature i would like to see is the % that the medic will curently revive you like if the medic revive you at 100 % it will indicate youll be revive at 100 % or 75 % this will give you better info about the status

but COME ON player imunity is basically cheating period !
    • Up x 1
  5. Navoletti

fix the bug Proximity Repair System of sunderer,the player no win points of exp for each time of repair proximity vehicles....
  6. sneakbyte

Have not posted in 2 months. So far not much has been addressed. Good that stuff is being addressed however. The performance stuff should have been ironed out during tech test. Might comeback when half the list is completed. SOE is too slow at changes.

*Performance/bugs
    -CPU Bound issues still exist for a game that was launched in late 2012.
    -Rendering issues (Flying into a tower that pops right up in your face, invisible players/rockets doing damage)

*Player Population
    -Server merges (You have player metrics and data available merge the servers and save yourself
    some dosh and disband ghost servers) 2 US East, 1 US West, 2 EU, 1 AU should be enough
    -Server Transfers (The token should be free but have a time limit of 30 days per account).
    -Account Wide SC unlocks (this is available to any item purchased with SC cash on both existing and newly created characters so SC item are account and not character bound)

*Meta game
    -Objective/Mission System?
    -Capture the Flag/Node or Sabotage based mechanic
    -Random Events (Such as capturing an entire continent gives access to enemy vehicles/weapon systems for a few days)
    -Making warp gates dynamic and auto rotating
    -Outfit platoon bases HQ. More buildable Engineering items like sheild barriers/automated turrets/alarms systems/hacking system that can upload viruses into enemy vehicles/bases/players that feed false data
    -Daily Faction Contracts (personal objectives that give extra exp for completion similar to medal system but more random)
    -In game dynamic news ticker that reports latest losses/success for your empire

*Balance
    -Self Explanatory.
    -Proper VR training area with dummy targets/missions with AI (None of the trial nonsense)
    -All EXP should be shared if your in an outfit squad proximity (Encourages team play)
    • Up x 1
  7. Arcanum

That could be nice. Could help people improve at things and teamplay too if they make it hard enough.

8. Duke

Well it's six days away and it's now or never. If they fudge this up, the game's not going to be able to support itself much longer. I would predict around Febuary 10-18th (again three months after launch) that the game's population will be too low to sustain what little meat-grind it offers to the people that like that type of gameplay.
  9. Arcanum

6 Month Plan announcement is one day away. I can't wait for the ****storm with unreasonably pessimistic/optimistic people who take this way too seriously trying to stomp on eachother over who can guess the future best.
  10. Duke

Well I'm unreasonably optimistic when it comes to SOE and as for future telling? Well I'll put it this way, I hit the nail so hard on the head over
    a year ago at PSU that my account was ghosted and all my messages were removed. (not banned mind you, just ghosted). But that aside, this patch better make a lot of players happy or they're going to end up with a SMOFPS and might as well add in small dedicated servers to save on money..
  11. Arcanum

What? I didn't say anything about you, I was just "future telling"(don't need a future teller to tell what is obvious) the response to the announcement. I'm just saying people are going to do stupid bickering and it's exactly the ones who are unreasonably optimistic(the majority) vs the ones that are unreasonably pessimistic as well as the normal pessimists/"realists"(the minority). I hope it's at least going to be entertaining.

I'm curious though, did you get punished just for being pessimistic about the game or were you doing stuff like insulting people? I always realized that Hamma was borderline shilling, but never expected this coming from PSU.
  12. Duke

Ah, I thought that was a direct response into me saying three months.

I got ghosted from PSU for a mulitude of reasons; I was on a three year long binge, during that binge I was on medication that did not mix well with alcohol and afterwards I noticed that Planetside 2 was a glorified meat grinder with awesome graphics. After I started making hella pushes for SOE to add meta-game the community started following. A week later I noticed my posts were no longer being responded to and when I searched for previous posts that I had written, it said there was none. Not really upset about it, I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it a couple more if need be, SOE is going to do what SOE wants to do no matter who, what or how many tells them they're wrong. It's their right to do that and our right to complain about it on their public forums :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Steppa

One of the guys from the dev art team was in STL this past weekend and we talked about the possibility of squad leaders, drivers/gunners, being able to designate targets to their squad members/other people in the vehicle. This would put a bracket around the enemy vehicle that would slide to the end of the HUD when the target was offscreen, much like a waypoint. It would also allow squads and vehicles to coordinate better. I hope this gets implemented.
    • Up x 2
  14. Quor

Great stuff Higby, but I'd like to echo the sentiment of a number of NC HA's when I say, PLEASE look into making the Jokehamer into the Jackhammer. It really needs some help. For that matter, the TR MCG could use a bit of help, as it does let you dominate at close range without being helpless at medium, but it doesn't really do anything that can't already be done by an LMG. The Lasher is in a great place, providing suppression fire and strong direct hit damage with a unique look.
  15. Teehaychsii

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but a BIG Planetside and Planetside 2 fan. I may be posting in the wrong part of this forum at the moment, if so, sorry, if a moderator could move it, I would appreciate that.

What I wanted to say, is I hope another Triple SC Day comes. I read about the last one, that unfortunately I missed. I would NOT miss the next one, if SOE decides to do another, they are sure to bring in some $$$ from me! lol. Maybe even a double, but a triple I'm sure would grab peoples attention again. Afterall, who doesn't want a decked out Sunderer with neon underglow for super-secret camouflage during a nightly raid?! =P
  16. warmachine1

Let us rebind aircraft turn on Mouse_x & roll on <AD>, it has been sugested soo many times!
  17. Fenrys

In the OP edit it looks like this point may have been addressed. I think it's worth repeating.

Players not rendering until you are right on top of them is game breaking, and getting that fixed should be priority #1.
    • Up x 2
  18. Copain

I didn't say people should get certs faster.

And there's a difference between a controlled lobby and... this.
  19. XLander

Is there any chance that the mini-map rework that was promised long ago is in this update? I know not every detail is laid out on the update advisories, So I thought I would ask.