Grenade launcher broken?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Village, Dec 9, 2012.

1. mental1896

the problem with the grenades doing no damage is really starting to stick in my craw. i can't count how many times i've died because i got the jump on someone, let loose a direct grenade hit, and then had to switch weapons and duke it out 1v1 'cause my goddamned grenade didn't do ANY damage. it's not just useless sometimes... it plays an active role in turning the tables on me when i have the element of surprise.

it's like driving a car whose engine dies when you floor it... right when you need it.
  2. Wolfwood82

For the reload bug, I've consistently found that swapping out of GL mode while completely empty triggers the bug more often then not. While if I take the time to grab more ammo before switch out of GL mode, I'll consistently get my ammo back.

Seems to be based on switching out of GL mode. Can anyone else test this?
  3. BrrrrrKalt

Hey guys! I know that bugfixing prolly isn't first priority atm cause there's money to make. But this bug is so annoying i could kill somebody with the underslung grenade launcher if it would do any dmg at all.
  4. Dral

Haven't had much issue with the reload bug but dealing 0 damage on a direct hit with the launcher is pretty damn annoying.
  5. Noxx(ia)

I think this has more to do with the general hit registration problems which sony has acknowledged.
  6. Nibelung44

err, basic questions, I see no weapons for LA or engi allowing a UB GL for any attachment, what you guys are using as a weapon?
  7. Ipecac

Only the select-fire variants of carbines and assault rifles can use underbarrel attachments. For LA/engi, that's the TRAC-5 S, Gauss Compact S, and Solstice SF depending on faction. For medics you'll want the T1S Cycler, Gauss Rifle S, and Equinox.
  8. Varamis

I haven't read this whole thread, and I apologize if I'm restating something that has been said, but after 3-4 days of almost exclusively using my Gauss Compact S the the under-slug GL attachment, I can safely say this weapon is almost certainly "working as intended".

The distance that the projectile grenade travels has a HUGE effect on how much damage it deals. If you try and n00b tube someone in a building you'll find yourself dead 95% of the time, wondering if your GL did any damage at all (it sometimes does as little as 3 bars of shield). If you shoot it at 30+ meters, you'll get better results. Fly with your JJ's and shoot it down. I've play tested this weapon for probably 20 hours in the last 3 days, and I can safely say I fully understand that it's a weapon that has an effective range. I can see how the Dev's wouldn't want people gimping HA's in buildings with n00b tube. It's a fine weapon and very effective if you use it at medium ranges, use your JJ's to take advantage of it's potential, or throw a hand grenade before firing it off at a group, especially since the two rounds replenish free of Infantry Points unlike most other explosives/utility weapons. I also get much better results when firing at the ground or a structure rather than at an enemies body itself (which does kind of annoy me since it shouldn't matter).

That being said, it has some other issues that need addressing such as engi's ammo packs not resupplying the GL rounds 90% of the time. I'd like it to work or not work, just pick one and stick with it.
  9. Alcatar

Also, switching to Primary Fire Mode and GL of the weapon bugs many times for me. Often I need to switch to an entirely different weapon (pistol) and then back to whichever mode of fire I want from the main weapon (be is GL or rifle). This is particularly harsh due to the increased equip time of the rifle when equipped with GL, etc.

That, to me, is the most annoying. I often need to hide after firing my GL just to make sure that before the enemy has me in their sights, I have my actual gun equipped and not first my repair tool...
  10. BrrrrrKalt

After patching today i was kinda surprised that the grenade launcher seems fixed. tyvm (hope it keeps up)
    It works well on range now, reload worked about 100 times now.
    Still in melee it doesn't deal much dmg, but i think that's intended.
  11. mental1896

For me at least, the launcher is still decidedly broken. Played for a couple of hours today and I'd say hits registered probably half of the time. Coming from someone who almost exclusively plays LA, it still really, really sucks to launch so many goose eggs.
    • Up x 1
  12. Meiu

Still broken for me, it deals zero dmg and doesn't even register about 3 of every 4 shots. Really frustrating, just stopped using the stupid thing.
  13. ChironV

I've noticed that distance also makes a difference. If run in and lob a nade at a foes feet, not much damage. If I have some distance and elevated above them, I can one shot most foes if I place the shot at their feet.
  14. Kilborne

I think it has an arming range. It would be nice to know what that is (strange since it will do damage to the user up close).

Also, while it would be awesome for it to resupply off of ammo packs, I find it hard to believe that they would allow that. Since engies can use the grenade launcher and lay down ammo packs, they could non-stop fire grenades. While I would have a blast doing this, I don't think it would be a good game mechanic.
  15. Ashur

Completely broken, totally unusable. I ended up switching to the underbarrel shotgun and I am very pleased with that, it instakills at short range and most importantly doesn't randomly stop working or reloading resulting in me dieing and being pissed off.

Also C4 has the same issue as the GL does, in that it doesn't do damage 1/4 of the time which again, results in a lot of frustration.
  16. japro

I also lately tried to use it only at distance and it seemed to work fine then. The arming range thing makes sense imho. if that is the case it just isn't consistent with there always being explosion that also does self damage. Would be nice if they at least clarified what the intended behavior is... In the meantime I started switching between underbarrel nades and shotgun depending on situation with good success.
  17. Stargazer86

Why not? How's it that much different from sticking near an HA and tossing down an ammo pack for his rockets?

I don't believe it has an arming range. I've had shots at range do no damage whatsoever, and shots close up kill the guy. It seems completely random whether it does damage or not.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kilborne

That would at least require some minimal teamwork (engineers can't use rockets, while they can use the grenade launcher). They seem to avoid situations were a person can lone wolf it. (EX. the vehicle ammo dispenser upgrade for the sundy doesn't dispense ammo for THAT sunderer).

Also I don't feel like I see a lot of HA use of the rocket launcher as an anti-infantry weapon. I don't use it much against infantry, when I run HA, but that might be because I feel that their main weapons are superior to the rocket launcher for killing infantry.

Another part of that might be the contrail from the rocket seems to just make you the most tempting target in the world...

Anyway, I would be surprised if this was a bug. Don't get me wrong, I would have blast locking down entrances with another LA or engineer, I just don't think it would be good for the game. (I have not seen engineers/HAs doing that with the rocket launchers either.)
  19. SheerTorcher

I use the grenade launcher regularly, and I experience the two bugs described above. Close range shots only damage me, not the target, which would make sense since Mk19 and underbarrel GL rounds have a minimum arming distance IRL, except that grenades that strike before the arming distance also don't hurt the user (which is why there is a minimum arming distance).

Medium range shots, especially those aimed from above the target or at a wall or object behind or beside the target, are pleasingly lethal. However, the weapon randomly decides it cannot be reloaded from Ammo cases, something which can only be fixed by resupplying from a terminal. I understand that this random function may be intended to keep me from overusing the weapon (the temptation is strong) but I would favor a more predictable system like the ammo case can only supply two rounds a minute or something). Standing on an ammo case wondering if each shot you fire from this GL will be the one that jams it sucks. It makes me feel that I wasted the certs, which translates into me wasting my time. Watching each patch go by with no comment from blue and no fix really irritates me.
    • Up x 1
  20. hellaskan

Thank Buddha it's not just me. My second nade does nothing in terms of damage almost every time. the current list of bug fixes/items that need attention in this game is rather large.