GPU physics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UnrealGaz, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BlackDove

PhysX would crash me after a while, usually when there were a lot of particle effects around.

Last night I was playing for hours, and it didn't crash once with PhysX enabled. It seems to be a lot more stable now.
  2. Pat Cleburne

I running dual GTX 580s and with phys x enabled I get 25 to 30 FPS in Ultra, high, medium and low.

Turn phys x off and I get 50-100 in ultra.

Also I had a couple of hard locks with phys x on.
  3. UnrealGaz

your system is very similar too mine and im very happy too see you have the same issue as I have on the exact same cards.
  4. UnrealGaz

codeforge do we have any update for this?
  5. PEETREE

Sadly, with this recent physx fix, the framerate loss for me seems to be fixed but im now crashing every twenty minutes.
  6. UnrealGaz

Update**

with the mini patch that happened today I am now running phys x without frame loss on the new NVidia drivers BUT I had to dedicate one of my gtx 580's

this did not work previously but it does now whatever you did it made something work now fix it for sli please so I can have really nice frames :)
  7. Fama

I'm in the same boat here and I think you might be right on that point. Turning on "Show Physx Visual Indicator" shows that planetside's physx implementation is seeing the CPU instead of the GPU for the Physx work. Hopefully they can make it so that it looks at the user's options in the Nvidia Control Panel to see what it should use.

I have an i7 (HD 4000) and a Nvidia 675MX card in my laptop. Since the outputs on the back of my computer pass through the i7 like you say, it doesn't seem to be finding the graphics card.

[IMG]
  8. BlackDove

That is a huge problem, and it needs to be fixed. I'm not sure if it's specific to PS2 or if it's always like that on laptops with switchable graphics. Does anyone know FOR SURE? My friend is having this issue.
  9. Krayus_Korianis

I crash with it enabled... Kinda sucks, good GPU Physics.
  10. TekHawk

Yea.. I have the 675m model so we basically have the same setup.

Anyone else with an Optimus Card setup on a laptop having issues like this or better yet has anyone been able to get PhysX to work on an Optimus..
  11. Leks

Also got crashing every 20-30 minutes (Nvidia 680 for Graphic and 560Ti for PxysX via Corei7 920 and 12 Gb RAM).
  12. UnrealGaz

now I don't crash I can get my PhysX too work fine with 1 card dedicated but insli mode and I enable phys x I get this"stutter" when the phys x effects drop myframes too 30 then 60 then 30 constantly
  13. BlackDove

Do you have "Adaptive VSync"? That will prevent the halving of the frame rate, and just drop below 60 smoothly.
  14. UnrealGaz

I have adaptive v sync but its not turned on atm

tried this and it still spikes up and down and the phys x effects seem out of sync still
  15. BlackDove

Could be the SLI then. I have a 660Ti and PhysX never lags me.
  16. UnrealGaz

yheai think its not sli optimised yet my gpu's lose load when I go near bases and my fps tumbles down too 30 but GPU bound still

on a single card I don't see a lower overall fps and isee CPU bound much more often
  17. John W. Ratcliff

Ok, I don't know how useful this is but here goes...

In general the GPU physx particles are not supopsed to impact the framerate of PS2. However, there is a known issue where after playing the game for a while the GPU particles can suddenly start to slow the game frame-rate down dramatically. As previously discussed in this thread, if you Alt-Tab in full-screen or, if in windowed mode, minimize and maximize, the frame-rate will recover.

When you alt-tab or maximize/minimize it causes the game client to release and re-allocate all of the texture resources. For some reason, and I have not yet figured out why, this problem occasionally occurs. What happens is that when a 'lockTexture' call is benig performed to copy the GPU particle data, the Direct3D operation stalls out for a substantial period of time. When the resources are reset (Alt-Tab or minimize/maximize) this problem resets.

We have had a lot of difficulties getting this problem to reproduce under controlled conditions to debug it further. The feedback on this thread has been helpful though, because I didn't know about the Alt-Tab thing making the problem recover.

There is another problem which can show up where the GPU particles will appear to stutter or otherwise run at a lower frame-rate than the rest of the game. I believe I have fixed this problem but it will take a while for that fix to propagate to the live servers.

In general, the GPU particles are not supposed to affect the frame-rate of the game at all in any significant manner. They are run entirely in parallel and were designed to run without affecting the baseline frame-rate of the game.

That said, clearly some people are reporting problems. We have yet to get any of these scenarios reproduced in-house. As most of you know, in the PC world there are a near infinite number of permutations of hardware, operating system, and driver configurations out there, and even though we have done extensive testing of this in house and in beta, once something gets a wider release and encounters the vast landscape of different machine configurations, problems can really crop up.

You should be aware that it is not intended to affect your baseline frame-rate and, if it is, then something isn't working right. As you can see from numerous marketing and YouTube videos, it does work fine on a lot of people's machines.

Personally, I don't have that powerful of a rig. During most of the development of this feature I had a single GTX-480 and I just tested it on a GTX-480 recently and it worked fine on that machine. Right now I have a single GTX-660 and it runs fine there as well.

I have heard anecdotal reports of people having issues on SLI configurations, so I will start focusing testing further there.

To understand why the GPU particles are not supposed to impact the frame-rate, you can read this article I wrote for the NVIDIA website. It's fairly technical, but you can see it was never the intent that GPU particles would hurt your baseline frame-rate in the game.

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/maximizing-physx-based-particle-effects-planetside-2

The best way to test the baseline framerate impact of GPU particles is to run the game with them turned off and look at your frame-rate while in a non-combat area. Then run the game and go to the same non-combat area without a bunch of other people, and measure the frame-rate. You should not see any significant change in frame-rate. In other words, if you are normally getting 70fps and you have full GPU particle effects on (anti-gravity pad, bullet impacts, sparks) it should not drop below say 65fps. The frame-rate impact shouldn't be statistically very significant at all.

If you do, then something is clearly not working correctly on your configuration, because that is not supposed to be how it works.

Thanks,

John
    • Up x 3
  18. UnrealGaz

John thank you for your very informative post.

as I stated in previous posts I can now get phys x working on my gtx 580 sli setup but only if I dedicate one card too phys x.Very glad too hear you have fixed the framerate infrequences witht he gpu particles I personally cannot wait too have these full blown effects going off.

just too update you Im on the latest NVidia whql drivers,

thank you very much for your time posting and keeping us updated its invaluable knowing your reading and doing things helps with the waiting :)
  19. RadioActiveLobster

20. Jac70

Been away for a week or so and just played for a hour. There have been a few patches in the meantime but for me the PhysX is still all but unusable. It introduces stutter whenever I am near a PhysX effect. Even though the FPS doesn't appear to take a drastic hit, the loss of 'fluidity' means it's a gamebreaker for me.