GPU physics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UnrealGaz, Mar 20, 2013.

1. UnrealGaz

so gpu physics is now officially enabled however I still have framerate problems enableing this. my fps "stutters" up and down 30-60 fps constantly while this is enabled. running latest beta drivers from NVidia.

sli gtx 580's tried in single mode and in sli mode still same issue any thoughts devs?
  2. noobindo

Nvidia cards use same gpu to render frames and calculate physic. When physix enable you'll get drops anyway. In PS2 it more noticeable, because low fps.
    Try to use only one card for physix and disable it on another one.
  3. UnrealGaz

tried it still happens.

in borderlands 2 I never had this issue even with extreme settings
  4. werzinator

I've noticed a 5-10 FPS hit at the Esamir warpgate when I get near the fancy shmancy jumpads.

The eye candy, while pretty, isn't worth the performance hit. Plus, it's harder to see an enemy near the jump pads with those fancy particle effects on versus off. Keeping GPU physics off, hoping more FPS and performance improvements can be made!

Also, this game can't be compared to Borderlands 2.. since it's not Borderlands 2 :p Can't compare a modified Unreal Engine 3 with Sony's Forgelight directly, it's apples vs. oranges.
  5. noobindo

Borderlands use Unreal Engine. It was written by experienced professionals.
    PS2 use its own engine. And it written by... someone:D
    • Up x 4
  6. UnrealGaz

yes but now that its live we can get collect information so soe can investigate it im sure its something somewhere from what ive gathered the 6xx seriers cards do not have this issue but anything lower than it does
  7. Sliced

Well, the real difference is not who wrote it, but Unreal Engine has been out for Donkey years, whereas ForgeLight has not been ouit for long.

The Physx seems fine on mine. I use Nvidia Vsync and I get around 50-60fps.
    • Up x 1
  8. Fiendish

Is there still no way to force Nvidea Physx to run on the CPU? I'm stuck with an AMD card, albeit a very high end one.
    I know it's possible, I can happily have Borderlands 2 Physx running on MAX settings.
    I'm also aware that Physx can't be run on AMD GPU's.
    It can be done on the CPU. Is there any way to force it?
    Also, just to clarify, I mean the pretty particle effects, not the calculations that pretty much everything in game is based on.
  9. UnrealGaz

which card though mate?
  10. Sliced

A 480GTX Overclocked for the GFX, and a 9800GTX Overclocked for the Physx.
    I also have my CPU Overclocked to 4.7Ghz which may make a difference.
    I have the latest non-beta drivers.
    Everything on medium except flora, particles, shadows which are on high.
    Max render distance. 74 FOV.
  11. Entaro

PhsyX doesn't mess with my FPS, seems to alleviate a few actually. GTX 690 though so plenty of GPU overhead. Unfortunately there aren't more PhsyX effects, but the cannon explosions are pretty sweet and the gun sparks are a nice touch.
    • Up x 1
  12. Brainwayne

uhmm, i dont know if i did something wrong....

I've got NVIDIA GTX 660 ti and i still cant select GpuPhysics ingame - If however, i turn it on in "useroptions.ini" it is checked in the ingame graphic menu but i cant see any effects. when shooting, i dont see the sparkles and also i dont see any particles at elevators/jumppads

did i do wrong? if so, how to do right? pls halp
    • Up x 1
  13. itschristalking

Amazingly it seems I've gained about 10-15fps. That's with 2x 660 in SLI.
  14. Luewen

You cant compare BL 2 to PS 2 though. And yeah, ps2 has problems on allocating the load to both cards on SLI so you will get fps waving around. Stutters can be due the game itself though not the SLI config.
  15. Gary

Remember if you enable the PhysX stuff and at any point in the future you begin to crash turn PhysX off first :)

Anyone got this working with an AMD card in primary slot whilst using an Nvidea card to run PhysX through the cracked drivers/work arounds?
  16. Firemanne

Have you updated your nVidia drivers yet for the newest one?
  17. Gratch

Just installed a second EVGA 670GTX FTW last night (SLI enabled with Physx preferring 2nd card) and bumped PS2 through the various stages of playability testing (post FPS patch)
    (CPU I3770k no OC, Screen Rez 1920x1200, Using latest WHQL NV drivers - though new Betas appear to have a new Physx driver and a perf bump).
    • Step 0: Deleted INI.
    • Step 1: Started PS2 and set to HIGH
      • Frames: >200 in warpgate [GPU bound], ~60 [CPU bound] flying and near enemies.
      • (all further changes done in INI w/o touching in game settings panel and then restarting PS2 client)
    • Step 2: Enabled AO, Fog Shadows, & setup Ultra ultra settings [textures=0, renderingLevel=2.0, otherStuff=4]
      • Frames: 50 in warpgate [GPU bound]
    • Step 3: Set renderingLevel down to 1.4 and Shadows to 1
      • Frames: 90 in warpgate [GPU bound], ~55 [CPU bound] flying and near enemies.
    • Step 4: Enable GPU physics/force
      • Frames: 85 in warpgate [GPU bound], ~55 [CPU bound] flying and near enemies. Pretty. No crashes/stuttering through two hours of play.
  18. geistreiches

looks cool but has micro stuttering when close to those animations like lifts etc. seems to be a big performance hit
  19. Torbalan

Not compleatly sure but the stutter seems to be only in particle animation and not in the rest of the game...

i7-3630qm
    8G ram
    GTX 660M
  20. DeeX

I have pretty much the same issues as the OP. My FPS runs like crazy from 80 down to 20 when I play infantry. If I am in a vehicle everything is fine and I get constant 40-60 FPS. I only have massive issues as infantry