GPU physics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UnrealGaz, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Fama

Hopefully this will help him out then. I posted the following in another thread about the Physx greyed out problem.
    I've tried to enable it as well with an nvidia 675MX, but it's still greyed out. I've made sure that Physx is activated and set to my GPU in the Nvidia Control Panel, but for some reason the game still does not see the card.
    I've checked running the game with the Physx visual indicator and it appears that the game only sees that Physx is going through my CPU.
    I've tried running Physx benchmarking and it runs through my GPU just fine so it's something in the game that is not seeing it.
    I've even tried upgrading from my latest official Nvidia drivers to their beta drivers and no change.

At this point it appears that the game is only setup to see Physx cards in particular setups. Apparently my laptop with an 675MX is not currently supported.
    • Up x 1
  2. Eyeklops

Please steal him back from Nvidia to replicate some juicy meta-game code for PS2.
  3. Anti-Skub

Totally unusable. I'm using an i7 3820, 16GB DDR3, X79 MB, a GTX560Ti and a GTX260 as a dedicated PhysX card. Turning on PhysX still halves my frame rate and it doesn't even look particularly fancy. Borderlands 2 had PhysX particles literally obscuring the floor and cascading down hills and it only dropped my FPS by about 10-15%.
  4. DrLime

PhysX works fine for me, and I love how neat explosions look, but the elevator and jump pad effects just drive me nuts. They look out of place, they're a huge waste of processing power, and they make it really hard to see what's happening when you're in an elevator. Could we maybe have an option to turn them off without losing the rest of the PhysX stuff?
  5. frankhammer

Working great for me except it's harder to see through the gravity elevators (whatever they're called) when in a skirmish. Makes close quarters a touch more dangerous.

fps within 5% throughout game play compared to physics off.
  6. ElysianDawn

Me turning the Physx on dropped my fps from 90 to 65-70. keeping in mind my detail settings ststed below, and also running render distance at 3000 so id be assuming the mid range cards would prob drop below the gamer recommended min fps of 60 fps
  7. ElysianDawn

wondering why your gtx 690 losses so much fps in large fight, the most ive seen mine drop was 10 fps going from cruise to joining a large 3 way fight
  8. Elrobochanco

I really wish we could pick what elements had gpu physics enabled. The jump pads and elevators are eye searing and a pain to see/shoot enemies in. Those don't add anything to the game they actually detract. New explosions and hit effects are great though, they give additional feedback and are appreciated.
  9. RumbleGrumble

I don't know about right now, but when I had to use the ini to force on GPU physics the game started intermittently crashing, I had to remove the option to stop the crashes. I will test again this weekend now that it is official.
  10. Kycoook

Can anybody confirm its stable for hours of gameplay?
  11. SternLX

Latest Game client for GU05 is a bit unstable on my rig with GPU Physics turned on. I'm getting CTD's when too many explosion happen near me all at once. It's very consistent too, I didn't figure it out until my 4th time logging back in after a CTD I decided to turn Off GPU Physx. just to see what would happen. No crashes since.
    Using latest WHQL drivers(314.07)
    Machine specs in Sig below.
    • Up x 2
  12. Kycoook

So, I guess there is no improvement in PhysX stability since they broke it in GU3... Too bad... they just officially opened the feature in game menu, but haven't fixed it's issues. SOE are so predictable...
  13. Reaper75

I dont seem to have any problems running physx, it seems buttery smooth to me even in large fights. Graphics all set to max (not editing config) with gpu physx enabled to card. I have the latest beta driver 314.21, maybe you guys should try them if you have not.

i5 2500K @Videocard: Palit Jetstream GTX670
    Processor: i5 2500K @4.5ghz
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB
    Soundcard: XFI Fatality Titanium

Videocard: Palit Jetstream GTX670

Palit Jetstream GTX670
    G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3

Game Installed on 60Gb SSD drive
  14. frankhammer

At that point it is totally cpu bound. So possibly it is related to our locations closest server being 2000km away.
    It is constantly higher than a gtx670oc but in the same situation, i.e. 3 way zerg battle, both operate at roughly the same performance fps wise. Although higher gfx settings in general (but not much different).
    Are you also at 1440p?
  15. Torok

ahah nice! :D i'm working so hard in order to put up a Nvidia sli here in my rig, phew i must change almost everything, due to space required & PSU
  16. Artifex78

I played for 1-2h with PhysX on yesterday without CTDs or horrible fps drops. The new optimization really kicks ***. So much more fun with stable fps :)
    My fps occasionally drop to ~20-30 in heavy (vehicle) fights with PhysX on but that's my rig I guess.

AMD FX-8350 no OC
    Geforce GTX460
    12 GB RAM
    Newest WHQL drivers for the Geforce

For now I turned PhysX off. It looks great and it works surprisingly well on my rig but I prefer stable fps over eye-candy.
  17. Rusky

I run PS2 on this system:

I7 950, OC 4.1Ghz
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    GeForce GTX480 with latest (non beta) drivers.

Without PhysX with everything on high I usually get ~40-70 FPS depending how many people are around.
    With PhyxX I'm getting 20-50 FPS, and weird micro-stuttering which can throw my aim off completely.

I also experienced something weird yesterday, after playing with PhysX enabled for about 1h, I suddenly got a frame drop to a steady ~15 FPS and horrible stutter.
    I had to restart the game to get rid of that.

As it stands, I've turned PhysX off since this way I get a nice smooth gameplay.

Also, a suggestion for the future would be a slider to control how *much* PhysX we get when we activate it would be nice. The sparks and particles look nice, but they feel totally overdone at the moment and even without the stutter and frame drops, they would hinder gameplay.
  18. cann0nf0dder

in my case physx was totally buggy after GU3 with CTD after aprox 10-20 mins
    since yesterday i'm using it again, i got a slight fps increase which seems to affect min fps the most and encountered zero problems till now, no crash, no gfx glitch nor any stuttering during a 2 hrs game session ... will play more today i think xD

i don't know how it'll affect single card users, as on my settings physx will use up to 45% cpu of an gtx480 !amp edition only used as dedicated physx card, depending on how much is going on.

i5-3570k@4,6ghz
    16gb ddr3 ram
    gfx: gtx tian
    physx: gtx 480 !amp
    killer 2100
    creative titanium hd
  19. Kozmyk

Meh! Pretty lights. If it's going to slow my game down or obscure my targets then I'm not going to use it.
  20. Odin

I have a titan with a 480 as a dedicated physx card and it works perfect for about 30 minutes then suddenly 10 to 20 fps and a slide show with physx enabled using latest beta 314.21 drivers.
    Shut off physx and everything fine.