Give the Magrider "no bullet drop". It's a Vanu trait....Right?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LIKE A BOSS!, May 22, 2014.

1. Redderic

I used to believe this was an advantage, but it is much more a disadvantage if anything. While a friendly can easily get by a Magrider, the enemy exploits this. At close-range, a Lightning can drive under the Magrider (faster than you can back away), this enables the Lightning to get a shot UNDER the Magrider (which I believe does rear damage). The Magrider is both slow and is fixed looking forward, enabled the Lightning to get a few good shots off before the Magrider can get back in position. A good AP Lightning driver is a big problem for a Magrider. Conversely, bad Lightnings are easily dispatched.

This same strategy cannot be used against Vanguards or Prowlers (who as best I can tell, can still hit the Lightning even if they are right next to them) which ultimately puts the Magrider at another small disadvantage.
  2. quatin

All 3 MBTs are fairly balanced right now. Enough to not mess with it.

All the buff proponents conveniently leaves out the fact that Magriders can dodge the most spammed AV weapon in the game. The dumbfire RL. Mags need to be the weakest vs armor, because it's semi-invincible against infantry. C4 fairy? Magburn away. RL? strafe your way in to 75 meters. Decimator? Run them over with the tank.
  3. asmodraxus

Using Magburn presupposes one has it, smoke is better with lock ons.

Mag strafe is weak against armour <200m away it hits regardless of how much the mag strafes.

Mag invincible against infantry lol

I thought that honour went to the I win mode NC shield, ok so the Vanguard canister is a pile of steaming dog excrement, but then so is the AI weapon on the infantry murder machine that is the TR's Prowler but then the Prowler eats infantry, close range, long range you name it.

Prowlers 1/2 can fight AV geared 2/2 Mags and win, balanced?
    Magriders have to team up against Vanguards

The Lightning is too many extents better than the Magrider, trading armour and alpha damage for speed, manoeuvrability, damage over time and survivability.
  4. TriumphantJelly

... What?
    Dumbfire RL can still hit a magrider within 75 meters, and outside of that it's very difficult to hit any vehicle, not just the Magrider.
    Semi invincible vs infantry? You. Are. Joking. I hope, otherwise you need to look at how tanks vs infantry goes. Let a Deci get rear shots on you? Lol.
  5. Arkenbrien

I have mag-burned over several enemies without getting a single kill. The Mag is infamous for mowing down friendly engies, but enemies are much more difficult to get a road kill on. The only road kills I've gotten is when I accidentally and obliviously back into some random dude taking cover behind my tank.

Magburning out of trouble like that paints a big target on your rear, as you have to turn the entire tank around to get out of trouble. It's much safer just to reverse and pray that your strafing works. Omni-burn or an alternative would make retreat via burn more viable, without risking taking a huge amount of damage through your rear.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ripster

Should probably happen. With the high amount of arc, the shots are already a lot harder shooting air with a mag anyway.
  7. Ronin Oni

Yeah, the extremely limited arc of fire is just bad.

We already have to fully expose to shoot with no ability to hull down, and have slower left to right tracking without turret... let us aim higher pl0x!

I don't care about aircraft but not being able to engage enemy tanks because you're on a decline slope is just BS and just another limit
    • Up x 2
  8. Arkenbrien

100% agree. We need a bigger firing angle for main cannons. Also of use is a bigger firing angle for the Saron. I seem to run into the latter more often than the former. If I'm edging a cliff, I have to balance precariously on the knife's edge so my gunner can have a shot. Which sometimes doesn't end well.
  9. Taemien

I think a decent compromise here would be a charge up mechanic. Basically the weapons do the same damage no matter the charge, but get less drop and slightly (and I mean slightly) more velocity the higher the charge.
    • Up x 1
  10. minhalexus

You can use Magburn as IR smoke, considering that there is cover in like every 20-30m.
    You guys must be really bad, if you lose to a 1/2 prowler with an AV geared magrider.

PPA eats infantry too, close range and long range.
  11. Arkenbrien

That is an interesting idea. I like it. Low charge means arc of something like the current PC or FPC, and full charge is no drop and ~ 25-50 m/s faster. Charge takes about 3-4 seconds. Cool.

We wouldn't even need a new weapon, just give this mechanic to the FPC, or possibly even all cannons. An excellent compromise, IMO.
    • Up x 1
  12. Shockwave44

So a gun that has no drop and only does 1 dmg is OP? Think again.

Uh, nice job pulling that out of your ***.
  13. Vixxing

Do you know what else can magdump up close? A halberd! no blom whatsoever! and if gunner dont suck 100% damage delivered!
  14. Hatesphere

if the gunner does suck its 0%/ with the soron its more like 75% its basically a safe bet.
  15. Taemien

Numbers sound decent.

It would give everyone what they want without taking something away. I've seen people in the thread say they like the current mechanics. They should keep those.
    • Up x 1
  16. Vixxing

No if the Gunner suck your even worse of with Saron since it got recoil to manage and reloads to time... Halberd is easier to use and just better... Saron was better for skilled gunners cause you could 2 directhit infantry and use 4 shots on another target in same time as halberd only killed the infantryman... not anymore... hiting same target 3 times from a moving tank is just ridicolous... better to aim careful and just make one good shot...
  17. Mxiter

The old saron is basically what VS complain about: lack of identity:
    The only VS trait was "no drop" otherwise it was halberd clone.

They new saron is what VS ask: identity with versatility & no drop.
  18. Arkenbrien

No, the halberd is, or rather was, a Saron clone. :p

Who says that NS is the standard by which all other factions are measured?

I can't see why we can't have the Old saron as a separate weapon. Give it long reload, no drop, high damage, no splash, and we have a winner IMO.
  19. Strottinglemon

Solution: No drop cannon attachment or new no drop gun.
  20. Arkenbrien

See:

I like Taemien's solution a lot. I'm going to start a suggestion thread and see what others think.