[Suggestion] Give engineer an Flak AA mana turret

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TwistaX, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TwistaX

Why not?

Give it the equivalent damage and fire of a single max arm, then give it some child tree certs to increase fire rate, heat reduction etc..
    • Up x 10
  2. Ryekir

During beta there was talk of adding AA and AV variants for the MANA turret (I suspect that they didn't really have time to fully implement them and had bigger things to deal with), so I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they added that sometime in the next few months.
  3. Takoita

With limited traverse of the MANA flak would be less than effective - too small window of opportunity.
  4. Armchair

Why do you assume that the AA turret would have the same restrictive range of motion? The skyguard is not as restricted as the other lightning weapons.
    • Up x 1
  5. Takoita

How would you animate the guy behind the turret then?

That said, you are right of course. There is nothing to be said about the turret variants that are not even in the game yet. I can only add that I would like to see something different than flak. Some more diverse weapon mechanic.
  6. DCTH

Actually, no! Not unless he has to give away something else. He already is a kind of a jack-of-all-trades. Good weapons, plenty of ammo, with mines good against sunderers.
  7. Stormlight666

No, but a turret that can damage vehicles / turrets would be nice since you'd be able to provide your AA Max's some cover between repairs.
  8. Stormlight666

The limited movement actually would give the turret some restrictions against air - meaning it'd only cover a portion of the sky.
  9. MaxDamage

It is more or less a given that engis will be given AA turrets at some point. In PS1 they were able to set up several self operated turrets which were devastating to low flying air.

They have already said in interviews that engis are going to get a lot of toys, and varieties of turret including AV and AA.

See Avenger turrets in PS1 for example, they are fully rotating, and were added quite late into PS1 development.
  10. JudgeDeath

I like the fact were getting new toys but I dont want any self-operating "npc" turrets. I want to keep true to the "everything happens by players" thing we got going on.
  11. XRIST0

Engi's will not get aa mana turrets , i dont know where you got this info from .

Every man and his dog will be an engineer using his aa turret , goodbye air , goodbye balance .

This will never happen .
  12. Armchair

HA already gets AA rocket launchers. I do not see every man and his dog using those.
    • Up x 1
  13. XRIST0

That because you have to pay for that , it costs $7 ..

Mana turrets can be spawned infinantly , by anyone ,anywhere , anytime .

It would be abused to hell and back , its just too much .. and i hate flyboys , i think there is enough anti air as it is .
  14. MaxDamage

It really doesn't matter how insistent you try to sound, you're wrong.
    Where did I get this info from? Hmm. *scratches chin*. Matt motherhugging Higby, that's who.
  15. vooodooov

16. Skadi

Animate him?
    thats kind of a stupid question... just animate him to walk arond with the turret, is it realy that hard to imagine a guy that moves as the turret turns?
  17. Vortok

I can understand why they held off on introducing AV/AA turrets, given the issues with getting the current options balanced. Unless they function very differently from the current mana turret, they would have infinite supply that could be replaced every 5 seconds. The AV/AA options would need to be even weaker than the options that the HA has access to.

The AV turret would probably be around that of a single MAX AV arm, maybe less. AA turret would also probably bit a bit under a single Burster (again, no cooldown on a fairly common class). Or basically a single Burster with horrendous cone of fire (oh wait, that's the Skyguard lawl) to reduce the effectiveness outside of really close range.

I could see the AV turret as a baby Halberd/base turret with no splash to prevent it from just completely replacing the AI turret. Direct hits only, shot have an arc.

Discussing the possible ways the turrets could be used/implemented isn't without merit. Devs read the forums, if someone has a good idea and they see it, it could spark further ideas that the devs can possibly use. Have to keep in mind that turrets are very spammable, even moreso than a HA - they need ammo from an Engineer whereas the Engineer is pretty self sufficient. One could argue the immobility of a turret vs a HA's mobility is a decent tradeoff in terms of who should be able to do more damage.
  18. Armchair

To cut down on spamming, just make AV/AA turrets consumable items like mines. There is no reason a turret NEEDS to be something that you can deploy infinitely for free.

Just make sure the turrets are deadly enough against their prey to be taken seriously.

100-150 or so infantry resources to deploy something like this.

[IMG]

edit:

600 resources for one of these :p

[IMG]

Just kidding about deploying an 88. But I would like to see that huge gun in the Tech plant put to good use defending the major bases.
  19. Bill Hicks

7 dollars please
  20. BalogDerStout

Please let us have an AA turret, the only infantry that can fight air is the Burster MAX, which is only pseudo-infantry. Otherwise you have to find a base turret or pull a vehicle the best option is another air vehicle. This would give the turret greater versatility and allow the engy to assist the MAX that he's dumping ammo for and repairing.