[BUG] Game uses too much CPU? (+ fix for yourself, improve FPS)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raneman, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Wolvers

This .ini is incorrect. There are no '5' settings, devs have confirm this in the tech support forum and said that '4' is max. If you set stuff to 5 it actually defaults to 2 (medium). I've proved all this on my big projector screen too.

The main thing you've done to reduce the load on your CPU, and shift it towards the GPU, is reduce the render distance to it's minimum of 1000 and texture quality to 0 which is no compression of textures.

If you really want to increase the load on your GPU, assuming you have a decent GPU, increase render quality to 1.41 which is equal to 2x supersampling, or 2.00 for more supersampling and even higher GPU loads. This has a marked improvement on image quality (sharpness mostly) and you'll get the GPU loading and increased fps you're looking for.

Edit; also particles and effects are CPU bound items so reduce those to reduce the CPU bottleneck further.
  2. TeknoBug

5 is indeed the same as 3 for most of the settings, use 4.
  3. Neoroify

So, using this.. I got rid of the CPU text, but now a GPU text appears.. I have to compensate settings so that CPU nor GPU text shows up...

FPS is better than the average though!
  4. JP_Russell

Do I understand correctly that the game is actually offloading graphics processing to the processor on lower settings? Or is it simply capping CPU-intensive processing on higher settings?
  5. TeknoBug

Problem is that it becomes irrelevant when you get into big battles, i'tll go CPU bound no matter what. I stand at the WG or at Ti Alloys or whatever and it shows GPU bound but when I go into Alatum biolab or at the crown it still drops and shows CPU bound.
  6. daicon

Thanks for this thread man. I used it and suddenly my game not only runs smoother but looks A HELL of alot better
  7. LordMondando

I've found all high - what your really doing. Still underpreformance in terms of Raw FPS compared to all Medium by about 3-5 in what I'll term Miller battles.

The whole 'GPU downclocking' issue, only really comes into play with low settings.

You have to remember the GPU is dumb, and has no access but what it gets through the CPU, thus, the notion of shifting the work load around if there were two centers of compution is im afraid, wrong.

I was corrected in this, by Cycles himself, and since has schooled myself on the matter.

Generally speaking 100% Render All Medium will out preform all high 80% render.

Biggest, BIGGEST thing you can do to improve FPS though, is turn render to 1000 or low, Shadows off and Flora off.
  8. Tasogie

I jsut went in game an without using Physx I get 47-50 FPS in battles. an thats with a 4000$ PC. the game really isnt optimized :(.
  9. Arquin

It's just more fair to have the people with 2009 laptops on equal ground with people with 4k 2012 PC's
  10. reddragons

Is 400 suppose to be a lot for a PC? I'm confused.... 50 fps is extraordinarily good for a 400 dollar pc.
  11. Tasogie

I was saying that with my 2 GTX 680 CUII's + 32 gig of high spec ram and a 3770 CPU I get very low fps as a rule for what I should get. I get about 77-80 fps in warpgate, an that drops to bout 50 on average when I am flying.
  12. reddragons

I'm confused further. One 680 would cost 400 $ by itself. How are we talking about a 400 $ total rig with 2 of them.
  13. riker

when we copy this do we need to include the [rendering]?
    or is that the list to put it under?, could you make a video?
  14. Arquin

[IMG]
  15. Arkha3

Would be nice if I ever saw something higher than 30 fps.
    Anything past 40 feels like water, I wouldn't worry/complain about it unless you get massive screen tearing.
  16. Tasogie

dammed if I know.They must be realc heap in USA cos they cost me 1700$
  17. Tasogie

oh I agree, I was getting 25-30 max on my old PC, it was brutal
  18. Stanis

The original advice only hides the problem.

It sets the graphics settings so high that anything other than the very latest systems on IvyBridge with a £200/$300+ graphics card are of course going to bottleneck!

If your graphics card could keep up - you'll still be CPU bound which will happen in those big fights when your FPS drops to <20

Certain options in the useroptions.ini impact CPU most.
    CyclesMcHurtz posted definitively which ones.

Turning Shadows Off makes the biggest impact for me. Since that looks pretty rough I turn them down instead.

Don't put a band aid over the problem assuming ultra settings and [GPU] bound fixes the CPU loading.
  19. AbortedMan

$4000 for that system, LOL...lemme guess, it's an Alienware or other equally ***-plundering company-made system? I bet you make a whistling sound when you walk.
  20. riker

dude im running 15 all the time