[BUG] Game uses too much CPU? (+ fix for yourself, improve FPS)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raneman, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Raneman

Press alt + f in-game. This will tell you, next to your FPS, whether you are CPU or GPU bound.

My outfit did this, and out of about 70 people, around 60 were CPU bound. The others were either GPU bound or GPU/CPU in harmony. This means that for the vast, vast majority of people, their CPUs are causing a massive bottleneck. What is this game using our CPUs for that causes so many to get bottlenecked? The game would perform much better if things could be offloaded to the GPU, to prove my point, try this.

1. Check whether you are GPU or CPU bound in-game.
    2. Close Planetside 2.
    3. Open your Planetside 2 install directory.
    4. Open useroptions.ini in notepad.
    5. Find the render settings, and replace them with THIS:
    6. Start Planetside 2.

THESE SETTINGS ARE HIGHER THAN ULTRA, YET FOR 90% OF THOSE IN MY OUTFIT WHO WERE CPU BOUND, IT ACTUALLY IMPROVED FPS RATHER THAN DROPPED IT. THIS MEANS THAT TURNING YOUR SETTINGS HIGHER GIVES YOU BETTER FPS THAN LOW SETTINGS. THIS HAS TO BE FIXED!
    • Up x 5
  2. Falcou

The game has been out for three months and you figured this out now?
    • Up x 1
  3. Raneman

I figured it out back in beta, but I thought I'd educate people. If you've seen some of Crushboss's videos, this makes your game look like his and you get good FPS too/
    • Up x 1
  4. Momo93

I am CPU bound as well, I will try this, thanks. I will post the results later.
  5. Jin Shepard

Iam cpu bound, with a CPU: Core™ i7 950 (4x 3066 MHz) @ 4k sadly this makes it worse. My GPU might not have enough strength, its 2x HD5870's
  6. Falcou

Yes it's very situational. But I would never turn Vsync on: that's how you get GPU bottlenecking.
    • Up x 2
  7. ArcKnight

is this only for CPU bound or does it help those who are GPU bound, cuz I'm stuck with the latter
  8. mistafist

5's in the settings cause the setting to reset to default so I'm not sure why that all over the config.
  9. Raneman

Have you tried these settings? Here is an example of how they look:

Do not do this if you are GPU bound.
  10. Torok

it's not, it's Ultra for a few settings, while others have a cap at 3, like shadows, you can try it yourself, go tweek your user options.ini and see for yourself, and texturequality ultra is 0
  11. Willthekiller

ok, noob question but where can you find the option that tels you your GPU based?
    Thanks
  12. HyperMatrix

...That video is not ultra quality graphics. You want to see what ultra looks like? Look at these 2 videos. And MAKE SURE to hit the Gear/Cog icon, and select "Original" for the resolution.

13. Raneman

10/10 reading comprehension, would give high school diploma

Literally the first sentence.
    • Up x 1
  14. Willthekiller

yeah i just realized, apologies XD
    sry, my reading skills are somewhat rushy nowadays, but thanks for the fix :)
  15. Kumaro

O_O this just trowhs my graphics rock bottom Im suddenly back in quake arena
  16. mistafist

Hmm, well I tried them and took a look at settings and they didn't reset to default, so I'm not sure if it scales them back to 4 or whatever the max may be for the setting or what. But it did not reset so appears what I said is wrong.
  17. TintaBux

cpu bound also with specs in my sig,will try ur settings later
  18. Raneman

Make sure that you delete the old render settings in useroptions.ini and replace them with the new ones, if you have two sets of render settings things are going to go poorly.
  19. Crashsplash

CyclesMcHertz(Car Rental, sry) has said many times from Beta onwards to turn your graphics settings up!

(Unless you have a really poor card ofc)
  20. Tnsr

Dunno, I made the changes but my game still keeps randomly switching between GPU and CPU at the warpgate.
    In the game it actually never switches to GPU and keeps being CPU dependent.