Game performance atm

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IronMouse, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Nexus545

I play on all the lowest settings and since the Valkyrie came out there are problems.

Not really with overall FPS, the game generally plays the same. The problem is the hitching, my god the hitching. I receive more hitches now than I ever did at any point in the games development. I think the problem is due to how long I've been playing because loading up the game seems to solve it for a bit.
    • Up x 2
  2. Dieter Perras

ya I lost a good 20 frames since the last update bringing me from a good 30fps to 10
  3. Palbuddy

Hi folks. o/

One and a half year ago, I stopped playing PS2 because of several RL issues.

I was playing on a Xeon E3-1240 (1st. gen.), 8 GB Ram and a Quadro 2000 with 1 MB and PS2 was installed on a low-performing serial ATA.

@ pinned 30 FPS and settings at low to mid I never had any issues with framedrops or freezes, all went smooth and absolutely playable, even in very big battles very most of the time.

Now I want to come back to PS2.

Even my system is much better now and generally rock stable I'm curious, my system should run normally excellent every game out there I'd say (now I7 2700K @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, nvidia 580 GTX 3 GB), depending on my internet connection and connected game servers of course.

But I see, I possibly may have to face now FPS problems and other issues, no matter my system specs it seems...

So, I'll get my new internet-access soon, which makes me capable to play online-games, thus PS2 again at all.

My question now is:

In case of having possible performance trouble/problems, did anyone of you tried to load the entire game into the RAM with something like "Rambox/Ramdisk" e.g. (or whatever the names of these programs are)?

May it bring help performance wise?
    Did it helped someone of you to play the game completely loaded into/from your RAM ?

Sry for spelling/grammar - and greetings,
    Palbuddy
  4. WTSherman

Yeah, the hitching seems to have gotten a lot worse for me since the last patch. In the days just after PU2, I was able to generally hold 20-40 FPS most of the time with only the biggest fights dropping it into the teens.

Now, I'm almost constantly seeing drops into single-digits and often times a severe hitch will leave me at 0 FPS for several seconds at a time. This means even in a tank it's possible for me to get killed while my game is completely unresponsive.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gabooonsniper

I feel for you brother because this patch screwed the game up for me. I can still play it but if I get anywhere near a large fight I start to get screen freeze of 2 to 5 seconds which never happened before in the last six months since I started playing. I have a dual core and think that they may be optimizing more towards the quad cores and now because of 64 bit higher amounts of ram. leaving you and me out in the cold.
    • Up x 1
  6. Gabooonsniper

I am having the same problem as you, since this last aug 29 800+ mb patch. come on SOE we can't play this game for the first time!
  7. WTSherman

I guess the good news for me at least is I've finally managed to save up the money for the upgrade I've been meaning to do for over a year now, so hopefully in a week or two I'll be bypassing the problem by throwing more processing power at it...
  8. PWGuy93

It's weird it's all weird. Since last weekend prior I've noticed that the 64bit client launches, has some problems with placing information on maps then the next morning a little patch and the 32bit client is active and performance is out the window and the Sunderer next to my lightning isn't even showing on the minimap. Then another tiny <100mb patch and then the client starts hitching. Then another <100mb patch (which took forever to download) and performance actually got worse.

Note by performance I do not mean FPS, I get roughly 55fps down to say 35fps GPU bound. Performance as in performing the function

...that said hitching and stuttering and players or vehicles not showing up on the minimap and all the little issues like the E key not working on terminals or the F key not enabling OR disabling abilities (sucks to be perma cloaked playing infiltrator), the perma sprint or the E to eject from vehicle which places a players character a mile above their vehicle to drop them on said vehicle to flatten them against said vehicle...
    • Up x 1
  9. Champagon

Game performance is fine for me, a little hitchy i say 1/10 times playing but not debilitating

And for the last time, if you are playing on a Toaster you should NOT be playing PC games that are graphically intense as PS2. I really can't wait for the PS4 release of this game, so some of you guys can just play on a console with games made literally to spec.

PC gaming is a very niche market, a pre-built machine from walmart or an outdated custom toaster will not keep up with modern games. It is NOT up to the game devs to make a modern game playable on a toaster. We are living in the year 2014. Come on people!!!!! If you can't run this game on the lowest settings without issue then you need to upgrade for real. If you can't afford to upgrade then you should switch over to consoles or save up to you can upgrade

Blaming devs for your outdated PC's is not fair at all. Myself and I am sure others are sick of reading threads like this. It is becoming embarrassing
  10. CDN_Wolvie

Are you sure about that Champagon?

Some of us with these performance problems have been playing since the Beta ... and we haven't been playing with hitching this whole time till recently.

If something worked fine in the past and now doesn't work, is that really indicative of an outdated PC? Come on now, if that was the case, these performance problems would have been a thing since the beginning and we probably would be among the droves who quit this game back in the fall of 2012 if the patches they did then for performance hadn't worked and we wouldn't even be posting now.
    • Up x 2
  11. Champagon

If you have read what i posted above I have said i am also hitching slightly too. If you have read OP's post he is also playing on an outdated PC as he has said in the first post. My post was referencing 2 items at once. Please reread
    • Up x 1
  12. CDN_Wolvie

Fair enough, within that context your post makes sense. BTW, my post wasn't meant as an insult, it was meant to bring the issue of hitching within the context of the life of the game within our collective memory to date which makes me wonder how someone with a Toaster PC wouldn't have quit the game over performance issues back in 2012 but instead somehow survived frustrating gameplay long enough to have experience the decline of performance after the Performance Updates in the back half of 2013.

It would help if in the future if you want other readers to know what you are referring to, especially if its the original post when your post will land on page 3, to quote that post.
  13. WTSherman

My issue isn't the performance level per se but rather the change in performance.

Like I said, prior to the patch I was able to run this game adequately well. Now I know that many people here would object that 20-40 FPS is hardly "adequate", but I'm used to making sacrifices to be able to play the games that I like.

Of course, in several patches leading up to this one there have been smaller drops in performance and the hitching problem has gotten gradually worse, but it really seems to be getting bad now.

This hopefully will be less of an issue for me soon (when I finish building my new rig), but when PS2 already stresses mid to high end rigs it's concerning to see performance degrading like this. I already had several friends who wanted to play but couldn't because their computers couldn't run it, and I'd hate to see them upgrade later only to see that PS2's demands have grown to stay one step ahead of them.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tiedemann

Maybe they should tell us what test machines they have that runs this game without issues, would have been easier to know what to buy.
    I want to upgrade some time in the next few months but when I can't run it without issues on my 3 GHZ i7 (first gen) and 2 X gtx570 and others running with much lower specs gets a good experience out of it there's something wrong in my world (I have the microsec freezes now and then).
    If there are HW that PS2 doesn't like I want to know it as I want to play this game instead of many others. I've dumped more money into this game than I'm willing to count and I can still use more if only they can get this thing to give me a good gameplay experience that lasts through whatever else they might break with their patches.
  15. NBA JAM

Oh, you were under the illusion that PS2 is going to work well on the Playstation? Where have you been these last couple years?

They can't get this game working right on PC, what makes you think its going to work well for Playstation? Because they have "Sony" on their company name?

Srsly bro...
    • Up x 1
  16. Palbuddy

I'm just curious Tiedemann.

Did you tried to run PS2 with just one GTX 570 aswell?

I know tons of stories of microfreezes in lots of games which got solved by playing with just one card because of still bad SLI-/multi-GPU support (not only on software lvl.).

For example, in the past, a single 580 GTX performed much ! better in most cases, than a 590 GTX dual GPU-card with the same specs of a 580 GTX...

For games and system stability, more than one GPU/card was never that perfect since SLI was born if I remember right (beside some more but in all just cosmetic FPS's on paper or screen).

Greets, Palbuddy
  17. Tiedemann

I've used SLI a lot over the years so I know about those things. I disable/enable it for different games. It actually worked in this game earlier too.

I'm soon reaching a point where I've tried "everything" regarding this game including overclocking/underclocking (CPU/GPU), enabling/disabling whatever CPU features possible (disabled cores and what not), lower/higher all the settings in the game, fresh Windows install, disabled optical audio/DTS live and running analog, switch sound card, tried an older gfx card (4XX something), disabled a bunch of services in Windows, replaced RAM, replaced the SSD HDD, running DVI instead of HDMI, disabling/uninstalling AV software, enabled/disabled pagefile and a bunch of other things I can't remember.

I do plan on trying my AMD box instead (after the other guys who have issues with it says the AMD CPU is working ok again in the tech thread), but I have to take down my Xen Server first so it's not something I can do in an hour :p

I can do a lot (even throw more money at the problem) if only I know it's going to get this game running fine.......
  18. Palbuddy

Thx for intel Tiedemann.

I'm sry to hear about all your unsuccessful try-outs, I wish you GL for solving your microfreezes asap! :)
  19. Garmus

Same problem here.
    After the last patch, I feel really insane fps drop and game freezing, enemies in bigger fights "teleporting" all the time, the game is basically unplayable now in more than 24v24 fights for me.
    (Before the last patch, I was perfectly fine without any problems even in 90v90 fights)
    • Up x 1
  20. NC supporter

Gaming is a luxury not a commodity for everyone. Just update your rig since your going to have to at some point. Plus with inflation your investment now will be better than paying later.