FPS needs to be skill based.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Protential, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Protential

Please, find a way to add skill in to this game.

A good player should beat a bad player regardless of the equipment being used.

A good example is a HA can destroy a tank 1 v 1. Obviously the HA has to be lucky, or be extremely skilled.

The majority of the game however is skill-less, even infantry vs infantry, lets both spray and see who wins!! Its FAR more effective then actually aiming.

Just look at hip-firing and you will understand. Hip firing should ONLY be viable on shotguns. No one on this planet is going to run into a crowded room gun at hip and start spraying everything down.

If I wanted equpment to decide who wins, with a SLIGHT VERY SLIGHT emphasis on skill and orginization, I would play an MMORPG(They all suck right now. L2 turned in to a fail carebear fest)
  2. Autarkis

You're an odd bird.
  3. ent|ty

Tell me about it. I rage all day playing PS2, wondering where the skill went. Everything is cheap, spam and auto-locking.
    Zzzzzzzzzz, I'm almost done, my friend.

Can't have a game about skill if you want a money grubbing payment scheme like Free-To-Overpay.

Yes, become a master at a unpopular 'gimped' weapon, and people will cry and scream.

Thank you, I try, but I can no longer dodge the immense splash damage most tanks have, and the ability especially for Mags to climb over a wall and shoot me point blank.

I must admit, I spray and pray at times... Or more like spray-and-manage-recoil-and-keeping-it-on-target... but still lots of praying. In most fights and streaks I've won, it was pretty much about the jump I got on them, not who shot better.
    News for you. All games are now care bear. Multiplayer FPS is dead.

Anyone want to play Duke3D Multiplayer? Now THAT was fun.. No XP, no ranks, no nothing.
  4. THEONYXHERO

This game rewards headshots greatly. Someone who has better aim will kill people faster and kill more people than someone "spray and praying".
    • Up x 1
  5. Pat22

I think what you think skill means does not mean what SOE thinks skill means.
    ...Liberators are the exception, of course.
    • Up x 1
  6. Proplayer

Planetside 2 is the most un-esport fps I've ever played. Built from the ground up so WoW noobs can compete though it is a lot of fun.
    • Up x 1
  7. Protential

If I headshot you, other then with the NC sniper rifle, if I am not spraying afterwards, you have plenty of time to turn and spray me down before I can kill you. ESPECIALLY as TR...

I have no problem with rate of fire etc. But if you think Spray N pray is not the best way to fight in this game your mistaken.

Even in CS controlled spray was always the best, you are laying down more bullets. But the further you move away, the less viable this becomes. In this game it does not matter if you are ontop of a base 500m away, spray and pray will kill you faster then burst firing head shots. Its really ugly

The only reason controlled spray isn't better then burst is because once you hit your target he is going to fall down or become immobile.

In this game, if you HS someone, they turn and unload on you all it takes is 1 or 2 bullets to throw your aim off enough that you have to re-adjust which takes to much time, you mideaswell go full auto and pray to the lord.
  8. forkyar

sorry no,this game is about teamwork and anyone can beat anyone,no is your answer
  9. Protential

Anyone can beat anyone with the larger force and heavier armor...

Anyone can beat anyone, regardless of skill just based on what eq you are using.

You are right. No problem here, move on.
  10. Gavyne

This isn't just a FPS game, it's a war game more like BF3 than it is to CoD or CS:S. So you take it for what it is. This isn't a traditional FPS game. And I don't want to hear anybody talk about skill unless you used to play Quake 1. Nothing released since then have been about skill more so than luck or bad game mechanics.
  11. Protential

Never did care for Quake, but it was to unrealisitc for me, thats like saying Twisted Metal took skill..

Yeah skill to run to the nearest health pack and find a rocket launcher to decimate your opponent?

I mean skill as in needing to know how to aim your weapon and take fatal shots.
  12. Gavyne

As I suspected you have no idea what skill is, you think CoD is skill.

Nevermind move on folks, nothing to see here.
  13. Rogueghost

The problem is everyone has a different idea of some people claim highest reaction time is skill, other think its better aim, or maybe its whoever can make the best strategy.
    I honestly think skill is granted to whoever doesn't die first.
  14. Protential

I don't play CoD. Only played it a few times on Consoles, sure its fun. But I have pointed out in several of the post you quoted instant kill **** like airstrikes and remote control bombs ruin the game and take skill OUT of teh game. GG being a moron though.
  15. Protential

A combination of all of these should allow you to die less.

Someone who is advanced in all 3 scenarios has no advantage vs. a brand new FPS player who never fired a weapon IRL and just sprays all day.

This = lack of skill.

The NUMBER ONE THING IN AN FPS FOR SKILL SHOULD ALWAYS BE AIM.

Having a faster reaction time is second, and getting the jump on or suprising your enemy should negate both.

Example, I react to you face to face .5 seconds faster, your gun shoots x2 faster. My .5 seconds of skill based reaction time is negated by your weapon = no skill needed.

Same if I HS you, you pop a shield and spray me down without even aiming or trying to aim.

With good aim, you should be able to kill a player who reacts first but only shoots you in the foot. This is not the case in Ps2 the most skilled move you can make here, is run through your opponent, and already be turning back to face him so he is left trying to turn around while you kill them to death.
  16. Gavyne

A skilled pilot in this game will school a non-skilled pilot (like me) in this game.

A skilled sniper will school a non-skilled sniper everytime.

A skilled heavy assault player will most likely win against a non-skilled heavy assault player.

A skilled light assault that utilize all there is to them will school a non-skilled light assault that just stands there and shoots.

A skilled player in this game will utilize all there is available to them for various situations. This game is more than just headshots, you talking about headshots shows you how skewed your sense of "skill" is. Things should not just be about headshots. Before "headshots" were made big by games like Counter-strike, quake made you have to not only shoot at someone, but also strafe and dodge shots at the same time. Now that, is skill....to aim and evade, not just to aim. There were no utilities in the old school FPS games, it was all about aim & evade, a skilled quake player could make a non-skilled quake player cry.

It wasn't until CS:S when the FPS genre slowed down. It was about headshots and kdr, so people started camping and padding their stats, and they call themselves "skilled". There's absolutely nothing that makes sense about a sniper able to take someone's head off across the map without bullet drop. There's nothing skilled about a random bs headshot that AK in CS:S gives you even when you aren't aiming at someone's head. There's nothing skilled about hiding behind your team mates to bait them, let them take the front end damage, then walk in and finish players off when they're already half hp.

There are skills involved in this game, and remember this game is more about war simulation. Not emulation, it's not real life, because it's still a game and still has to follow basic gaming rules such as balancing & fun. But simulation of war also means bullet drops, hip fire, team work, utilizing all you have including C4, mines, grenades, HA shields, LA jetpacks, eng turrets, sniper cloaking, medics that surprise you with good shots rather than just heals which save the day more than just rezzing someone in the heat of a battle, etc etc etc..

If you think there's no skills in this game, then perhaps you look a bit too highly of your own skills. Or at least your perception of skills is a bit skewed. Your entire argument about hip fire is just weird. When you have someone in your face, you have to hip fire. But skilled players will hip fire, aim for the head, and strafe at the same time. And yes skilled players face to face do often get more kills than those newer to these types of games. I don't know what the big deal is.
  17. Gavyne

That's a bunch of bs, a CQC spray is the least accurate. If your shots are so super duper skilled and awesome, you would've killed them. Headshots get you kills. Why are you complaining about hip fire? If you are close enough to someone who could hip fire effectively and spray you down, you possibly got too close to that big guy. Any slight range then that spray & pray will have to either aim or get really really lucky to get a kill.
  18. smokemaker

No.
    This game is not balanced around an individual.
  19. Protential

CS is also about strafing to not get hit while killing your opponent, and often taking single shots to the body while walking side to side is more effective and sicne you can't heal you REALLY do not want to take a lot of dmg just to kill one guy.

Any time you bring guns to a fight shooting in fatal areas should be what they revolve around.

You never once saw me reference CS:S or the new CS

Only newbs camp, and a camping newb can only kill a rushing newb. A skill player will prefire you and drop you while you scream hacks, or notice you dodge your first awp shot, and light your *** up.

In this game strafing or dodging bullets is only effective against NC.

And your a fool if you think in CQC spraying doesnt = the win.
  20. Protential

I am complaning about hip-fire because everyone in the world just **** htemself because it "got nerfed"

Its not a show of skill, or even a viable way to fight, yet its one of the most effective ways to fight in this game, run at your opponent and spray from the hip kiling them while they try to aim, if not run through them, spin around and kill them anyways...No skill involved in hipfiring

And as much as you guys hate CoD that is where these hipfire newbs came from.

The only guns in the world I would ever hip fire, are shotguns.

If you give me an AK-47 I am pretty sure I won't be running in to a room with it at my hip trying to spray everyone down. If this were honestly a viable form of combat why do no military personal practice hipfiring?

Oh thats right, because it makes the skill of the user almost irrelevant.