Fixing the MCG.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Metallic123, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Metallic123

As it stands for the first second of firing it has the worst primary weapon ttk in game.

Can't they just remove the spin up time and nerf the starting cof, buff the max cof while capping the damage to 125 at all ranges?

Congrats, I just made this weapon decent.
    • Up x 5
  2. M2_Bradley

Who doesn't like a machine gunn that laser beams anything?It's fine and if anything,a bit OP.
  3. Samuel2213

They should decrease the CoF, increase the RoF, and replace ironsights with the ability to spin up the Minigun.
    • Up x 2
  4. MGP

If it was "fine or OP" top-level players would've used it. But they prefer LMGs.
    Jackhammer, on the other hand, is the most popular gun for top NC players. Go figure.
    • Up x 7
  5. CptFirelord

@M2_Bradley

You're an idiot. I swear, people like you are the lowest of the low. Did your mother drop you on your head as a child? The MCG has less DPS than an ORION, and it's supposed to be our "Heavy Weapon". We have to pay 750 SC for something worse than a stock VS gun, yea no thanks.
    • Up x 3
  6. Cromell

Despite my love for MCG (the sound! the looks!) I have to admit that it's just rather bad and using it kills me more often than not. Instead of being a CQC beast that can mow down entire squads, it's best used to "snipe" medium range targets.

It's kinda sad, because we got an awesome weapon that just underperforms greatly, while NC got a real CQC monster and VS received a proper suppression tool.
    • Up x 5
  7. Metallic123

Correction! Before the firing spin up it use to be an awesome sniping tool starting the bloom w/ 800 rpm. Now it is half decent at medium range (assuming you get the drop) and not very good at all close range. Don't bother taking smgs and shotguns into consideration because this thing falls behinds carbines, lmgs, AR's AND BASR's. (Point blank Tx2 repeater will kill faster)
    • Up x 1
  8. huller

My solutions (pick one):

-increase RoF, reduce MAX coF, increase min CoF, reduce spinup time by 75%

-completely remove spinup time and see what happens

-reduce damage by one tier (125), compensate by adding spash damage, say, 25 per round. Now you have a barrage of explosive 9mm's, idealy used for taking down larger groups of people without gaining strenght in 1v1 engagements but losing some punch if flak armor is equiped and gaining a lot of supressive power, utility as squad support weapon and uniquenes. Instead of being a bland gimped LMG you can now revel in throwing a barrage of explosive lead at your enemy
  9. Chubrokoli

How about the old spin up mechanic?
    MCG was fun to use and only good heavy weapon back then.
    or how about more rof, like 1200-1500 then the COF wouldnt be a problem anymore
    I like the idea of explosive rounds but that would be too "OP" in opinion of our cannon fodder people like splash damage in general
    • Up x 1
  10. oherror

You seem to not under stand the awesomeness of the 1st second of firing. You can long range kill people with the initial firing. I have no issues killing with the weapon as it now is. Being able to fire before it spins up is a god send from how it was before. You just need more time with the MCG to get how to use it properly.

I doubt they will change anything with this gun as it functions fine.
    • Up x 1
  11. Lewk

You do know that the Orion is one of the highest DPS LMGs there is right? I am guessing not since you felt the need to insult someone by calling them an idiot, the lowest of the low, and then insinuating that his mother was not a good caretaker and that his mental health has been negatively affected by said neglect.

You also have failed to realize that some of the best weapons/guns in the game are "stock". Starter weapons have no factor on being good/bad.

I am starting to wonder how you got to br91 while still remaining in such a blissful state of ignorance.
  12. KnightCole

Yeah, MCG seems to be decent at mid range, only if you get the drop and only if its not an NC firing back with a NC6 Gauss SAW.

The MCG could use a loss of the Spin up time.
  13. Metallic123

I uraxiumed mine. I like the original MCG because it was a mid range beast (it lacked side to side recoil). I like the bugged MCG because it was 800 rpm of pure awesomeness on demand albeit you gave up a little starting CoF but it was worth it. This MCG is lacking both...
    • Up x 1
  14. Takoita

Whoever decided that the current combination of spin-up time and COF bloom is fine didn't ever used the resulting product in the game proper.

Shorter spin-up (ideally none, that's a 'gamey' way to code a minigun in a game that does not an effective weapon make) and less COF bloom are sorely needed. Better ads functionality means squat when every default weapon will kill you quicker; I'm not even gonna mention CQC-specific guns - they outclass MCG so much it's just sad.
    • Up x 3
  15. Vearo

Here's my post from a related thread:

Just to note, unless you have the weapon firing two rounds at a time the game can't handle fire rates above 1000 RPM, reportedly (500RPM x2). That being said, I'm not sure if the game can handle twice the bullet count for long, as the only example of firing two bullets at once is from the Tank Buster.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hiding in VR

What a pleasant change to see a thread with people from different factions in total agreement about the relative merits of one faction's weapon.

Just saying :D
    • Up x 2
  17. Laxlu

Yet another MCG thread. I find it particularly funny to read about mcg being accurate gun at range. Guys probably didn't use anything except carv. Weapon in current state not worth using.
    Team fortress 2. A game in which the weapon done right.
    1. Shot a lot of VISIBLE bullets. Shoot less of real ones. I do believe it's 3 fake 1 real in each shot. This can compensate "chain gun shoot too slow" problem.
    2. You can spin it up manual. In planetside reality your weapon is always aiming. So on top of that we need that spinning to continue for some time after you release the trigger. This is the major downside ATM - you can't stop firing, because you lose all your fire rate.
    3. Set COF which dont bloom. Major downside #2. The cof should be in several stages. №1 you dont move and it stays like ingame right now. Crouching affect only recoil, and don't decrease cof. №2 you moving, and again it stays as it in game right now. Crouching - same as №1. №3 same thing as 1-2. Wait a sec and let me explain in part 4.
    4. If you read all 1-3 parts and you have some experience in game, you will thinking to yourself "the hell this thing would be overpowered". Well here is the balance thing. What if the weapon damage curve would start from lower value and rise up to the max at 30-40m, and then fall to the min again? What would prevent this weapon from dominating cqc, and still make it decent at med to long range. All you need is to test some values, and here we are. The working MCG is done.
    At the end we would have an abysmal visual firerate. Decent 700-850 real fire rate with 143 damage model and random bullet spread. 100 damage model in close and range. Well the numbers are pure random i didn't have anything to test from, so dont take them serious.
    As for attachments. At Least give it some decent iron sight. You can remove laser sight since it would be useless. Double ammo? Hell i didn't care if this weapon will shine again. But some people will miss it, if it go away.
    Shame on those who think this weapon is OK right now.
  18. Pie Chasm

Agree with most of the comments in thread... as usual......

The sad reality is that until Wrel, or somebody else loved on Reddit chimes up, it will continue to be broken.

Seeing as how they (not really everyone at SOE, but you know who..) almost destroyed the entire game with WDS, I guess it'll be taking a backseat for a long time, along with the fact they are introducing new weapons to sell for SC.

Sorry to possibly derail a good discussion, but I'm still left in shock from WDS.
    • Up x 3
  19. Matixzun

I love using this gun, it's very fun to use, but it really needs a fix compared to the other heavy weapons.
    • Up x 1
  20. Vanon

I play mostly NC so keep this in mind.

Why not just remove the "aim" mechanic and replace it with spinup mechanic. Tighten the cone while standing still, and increase it while moving by about 25%. It would be nasty but not over powered.