Fix Galaxy spawn above bases

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ajma, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Onetoo

Require players exiting a Galaxy to use parachutes (Light Assault excluded) and the problem is solved. The players spawning over the base would be more visible during their descent, as they would be forced to open their chute at some point before splattering themselves all over the ground.

It would look awesome, too. I never liked how there is fall damage in PS2, but at the same time you are just supposed to know that you are safe to jumping from a Galaxy.
  2. TheRunDown

I would like the squad spawn feature to have a altitude limit, as in it's not a spawn point if it's to high.
    Or at leased have the same limitation as the current spawn points, meaning if your too far away you can spawn directly to it.
  3. Trebb

Hey don't you nerf my invisible GALs!

In all seriousness, this is one problem even a lone wolf can fix. Spawn a Lib with a tankbuster, and take out that max altitude GAL in like 2 clips ;)
    • Up x 1
  4. Rovertoo

This right here!
    • Up x 3
  5. Astriania

I never liked the squad spawn mechanic. It breaks immersion, it exacerbates redeployside (I should know, I've been in QRF in Server Smashes and abused the crap out of that ...) and it makes it very difficult to wipe an enemy presence in a small fight, particularly if your faction doesn't have the air. It also allows for weird things like spawning inside a GSD sundy inside hostile shielded areas and inside no-deploy zones.

Yes, AA weapons should be able to shoot straight up (or, if this engine is still stuck in 1985, at least to +89.99°). It is inexcusable that this isn't the case.
    • Up x 4
  6. RasFW

I've been fixing this problem with a Hornet Scythe.
    • Up x 3
  7. deep470

I love Galaxies hovering still over a base, they're like giant, well filled Piñatas. Sadly they run away as soon as I start to massage them with my dual burster max. And yes, I always find a way to hit them, most of the times it's enough to move 20m to the side.
    • Up x 3
  8. Demigan

This isn't a problem with the Galaxy, this is a problem with AA not being capable of dealing with something like this.

I'm still for skillful AA options for the MBT for example. Add highly accurate non-flak cannons to the MBT's with high elevation. They can damage and kill aircraft that hover around and/or don't maneuver a lot (you know, the thing the highest mobile unit in the game should be doing). It can also damage Liberators/Galaxies that hover high above bases, and even kill them should they remain over the base.

Additionally a skillful infantry option needs to be added. Flak Rocketlaunchers with no drop that deal the same damage as lock-ons. The relatively slow projectile means it's a close-support weapon rather than to kill aircraft at a distance. However, 3 HA's that band together can OHK any hovering ESF. This helps prevent ESF just hovering over a base and dominating all, it also helps as HA's can fire straight up towards the Galaxies/Liberators and eventually force them away, or even destroy them should they remain in position.
    Another HA option would be a micromissile launcher. Fires missiles that home in to aircraft when it comes close to them. Due to low damage per missile and ROF it has a low DPS and is unlikely to kill aircraft. This would be a real air deterrent, but an effective one. Again it can fire far enough to reach those Galaxies at 700+ range and force them away.
    • Up x 1
  9. Whiteagle

Even though I love to fly a Spawn Whale over a fight, I'm giving you a thumbs up for this.

The issue here isn't the Galaxy hovering high above the fight, I much prefer a Spawn Whale being unable to double as an in-your-face BATTLE Gal as well, but an inability to strike at it.

So yes, LET US BE ABLE TO AIM SKYWARD WITH OUR ANTI-AIR GROUND WEAPONS SOE!!!

Eh, they nerfed Battle Gals a bit so they aren't as impossible to deal with, but yeah, Base design in this game is still a bit lacking...
    God, you should have seen the **** we had to deal with in Beta.

Actually, Squad-on-Squad, the Galaxy Spawn isn't a very good option at all...
    For one, you need to keep someone in the Gal, so you are down one man already.
    Two, a long drop time give anyone on Overwatch plenty of heads-up on where you are going to be coming at them from, plus the inaccuracy of most Drops means the Attacker is almost always at a disadvantage positioning wise.

Eh, I'm fine with both having it...
    Like I said before, a Galaxy Squad Spawn still requires one man to remain out of the fight, so it only really shines in large scale organized play.

I'd rather the Valkyrie get a health buff to the point where it can do what the Battle Gal was to powerful for; Close Air Support AND Squad Spawn, to capitalize on Small Squad Tactics.

Well we DID have a glowy fall aura effect before, did that get removed for optimization?

Here here!

...But that's the CURRENT STRIKER!!!
  10. Tuco

It's like COD random spawning where you clear an area out and more enemies magically show up and shoot you in the back. Pretty lame stuff.
    • Up x 3
  11. Mjolnir

The galaxies that hover over bases are typically not the battle gals manned by skilled players, so a single tankbuster lib can take them out fairly easily. The battle gals that are actually dangerous for libs to engage (at least without a lib gunner) are usually just flying around the map killing stuff, not hovering above bases.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mxiter

Two tank burster clip is an easy fix and you can do it solo.
  13. BobSanders123

I want galaxy rear hatches to actually open so you can jump out. That way it feels really cool and skyguards could target the thing while in this vulnerable state. Valkyrie side doors would also be pretty boss.
    • Up x 1
  14. Whiteagle

If they actually made the Galaxy's rear hatch work, they would have made it so that we could cram a Skyguard IN there...

...I miss the LodeStar...
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

All the more reason that the other factions get an AA rocketlauncher as well, isn't it? The TR's striker should still be better as a proximity-homing AA rocketlauncher than non-faction stuff. The micro missile launcher was just one idea I when the striker was still the lock-on-to-all super rocketlauncher.

The reason why I want skillful AA rocketlaunchers is because I want solid AA options that you don't pay 350 to 450 resources for. The lock-on rocketlauncher is nice and all, but it's more a weapon of oppertunity+a deterrant rather than an aircraft killer. I've been using that rocketlauncher since it first came out, and I still don't have gold for it. My brother did get a gold medal for it... by shooting infantry in the face. That was much more useful than firing into the sky hoping on a kill.

You could get ES AA weapons while you are at it.
    TR: Micro-rocket launcher.
    Fires a stream of small high-speed rockets designed to penetrate aircraft armor and detonate a fragmentation charge within to deal maximum damage. While it has it's use against infantry, the rockets tend to get stuck rather than explode inside their relatively soft bodies compared to aircraft armor.
    The rockets don't have the power to penetrate heavier vehicle armor that well, and deal minor damage to them.
    A whole clip hitting, no misses, would kill an ESF. The ROF and amount of rockets could be adjusted that it takes 3 to 4 seconds to unload everything, giving ESF plenty of time to react.

VS: Lasher type II
    An adjusted Lasher designed to take down aircraft. It's plasma charges have increased speed and release a specialized corossive plasma upon detonation to deal with aircraft armor. The disturbance of the aircraft engines and electrics cause the plasma charges to detonate at close range (a type of flak). As a trade-off, it has less ammo per magazine and a lower ROF. Similar to the TR Micro-rocketlauncher it would be adjusted so it can kill an ESF in 3 to 4 seconds, if everything hits.

NC: Gauss Railcannon.
    A Heavily modified version of the Gauss SAW with elements of the Railjack. It accelerates specialized soft-point ammo to incredible speeds. The soft-point ammo decelerates as it penetrates the aircraft armor, where the bullet tears itself apart and each fragment rips through the electronics inside. It's ROF is low and due to the size of each bullet the magazine doesn't hold much either. Again it would kill ESF in 3 to 4 seconds if everything hits.
  16. Whiteagle

Well even if it is no longer a Micro-Missile Annihilator, the Strikers rapid dumb-fire ALMOST makes up for it with sheer Sunderer killing utility...

...Which is the only problem I really have with you ES AA idea, we've already got ours as our ESRL!
  17. Demigan

The Striker is a proximity-homing missile launcher.
    My idea was to add a micro-rocketlauncher as well to the TR. Perhaps as a cheap 250 cert option. It would boast a longer effective range due to it's high-speed rockets, but need much more accuracy and skill to actually get a hit in. Sound better?
  18. RykerStruvian

I think galaxy spawning is dumb. Should never be in the game. I could see Valkyrie spawning to make the vehicle more viable/used, but galaxy spawning is just cheap. They're already a vehicle that allows like, three or four turrets with a huge health pool. Why allow people spawn in it, let alone over enemy bases?
    • Up x 1
  19. Zeocrash

This really does need some kind of fix, last night the VS repeatedly parked 3 galaxies above our bases and rained down soldiers onto us. They were out of range of Missiles and too high to hit accurately with flak. It takes the fun out of the game.

Why not increase the missile lock range so that it can lock onto high flying galaxies
  20. Prudentia

why not spawn a lib?
    you are fighting against ~36 People and are complaining that you are incapable of defeating them on your own while you can easily do it...