Explosive Certing

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TomaHawk, Jan 18, 2013.

1. TomaHawk

Hi there,

I was considering cert'ing into explosives, and currently can carry 2 claymores. I do not yet have c4, so...

1. Is c4 a worthwhile addition? Cert'ing all the way or just the first tier?
    2. Is there anyway to cert the Engineer to carry more than just the two C4/Claymores, etc? What's the limit?

thank you!
  2. Compass

1. C4 is the best.

2. Utility Belt allows you to carry 3 C4/ 4 Mines / 4 C4 / 5 Mines / 3 Claymores as you upgrade it, if you have the basic cert maxed out.
    • Up x 1
  3. TomaHawk

Wow, that's quite a bit of explosives. Thanks for the explanation.
  4. Compass

You can only pick C4 or Mines or Claymores to carry. Not all at the same time. It's just easier once you get the Utility Belt. I have it upgraded so I can carry 3 C4 or 4 Mines, enough to kill up to 4 vehicles depending on how I want to do things.
    • Up x 1
  5. NoctD

Is there much of an advantage to C4? Aside from avoiding the blast that results from AT mining vehicles? It just seems terribly expensive.
  6. Xebov

C4 is useable against everything and you can set it off from distance and in the right moment. Problem with AT Mines is they explode near Vehicles and in other cases need to set them of by shooting. C4 is a real allrounder here, you can drop it and wait for the right moment. It also sticks to Vehicles, so you can drop it on an empty vehicle and wait for the driver to reenter his vehicle befor blowing it up.
  7. Adamar09

You can avoid that radius anyway by RUNNING LIKE HELL.

Personally, I'd cert AT mines on engineer way before C4.

For 100 certs and 150 infantry resources you can destroy any (non-minguarded, which is a basically meaningless fraction) vehicle in the game.

To carry enough C4 to destroy a sunderer (without farting around with underbarrel grenade launchers and such) you need 900 certs and 300 infantry resources.

I appreciate that C4 has its uses, but between AT and AP mines engineer has a lot more cert and resource efficient ways to blow things up. Not to say you shouldn't get it eventually, mind. Currently working to be able to deploy 4 vehicle kill spots, which will be awesome.
  8. Ghostfox

The advantage of C4 is versatility. AT mines are better at taking down vehicles. AP tend to be better at taking down infantry(except max's).. but brick of C4 lets you do both. You can also take down a MAX in one hit unless they have Flak armor 5.. at which case, they are left with like.. 2 bars. 3 bricks can take down a sunderer, especially if you can get under it or slap it on the back.

This is why C4 is more expensive than AT and AP mines.
  9. Nyldar

If you like placing mines in lots of different places you could just pair C4 with AT mines. You can switch between mines and C4 without either of them disappearing. Think of the mine as the trigger and the C4 as a way of causing more damage.

That way you wont need two mines to reliably kill a vehicle anymore. You could probably setup some nasty surprises for infantry too.
  10. Skurcey

but pretty expensive in terms of infentery points
  11. Cymoril

If you lay down some C4 then switch to tank or proxs , doesnt it remove the previous mines set down ? I always thought it was 1 type of mine deployment only with ammo? As it stands I know I can do mines and ammo bags, I just go to a panel and switch back each time someone becomes a "lucky" winner.
  12. AnnPerkins

it's worth noting that c4 and mines you cert into apply only to that one specific class. So, if you decide later on you want to play light assault and want c4 you're going to have to drop another 700 certs to carry 2 bricks even if you have them unlocked on your engineer.
  13. Nurath

I'm getting the feeling they may just nerf AT mines.
  14. Skadi

Watch it there son, your going to anger the great AT mine gods, Your mossy will be consumed in a swarm of AT mines thrown by engis bailing out of high velocity aircraft.
  15. NoctD

Since you have to switch around anyways, I was thinking more along the lines of certing C4 on my LA and switching between engie/LA if I want to lay both side by side. But that does remove the utility of the utility pouch.

The 3 AT mines doesn't bother me too much actually. I find the 2 AI mine limit far more of a shortcoming.
  16. Takoita

Ideally, you need C4 on every possible class - there can never be enough of that.
  17. RblDiver

I'd personally recommend not doing C4 on the engy, but rather on the LA. I think tank mines are vastly superior to destroying vehicles than C4 (MAYBE not if they have mineguard, but 9/10 vehicles I've seen don't use it), and the biggest problem is the need to run up to the vehicles (or drop down) to plant the mines. That's the most vulnerable time for the engy, thus you want to have something you are fairly confident will kill them. And you can drop two mines in quick succession and run mostly out of the blast radius (though usually, consign yourself to suiciding).

In the case of C4, since LA can use it, you can fly above the enemy to drop it. You can fly over MAX's, drop a C4, and blow 'em up. That's much better than trying to run on the ground to plant it. You can still do traps etc. too as the LA. C4 also tends to be better for the bio lab teleporter room defense, since you can trigger it manually rather than waiting on the enemy to run over a mine (though this may change when they change the look of tele rooms).
  18. Graylin

No it doesn't. You can lay tank mines, then requip with AP mines and deploy them as well. I've booby trapped a whole base before and then sat back and waited for the exp to role in. With the C4 idea just put all the tank mines down first then lay the C4 next to each one.
  19. TomaHawk

I just got C4 so I haven't tried this, but why not have both (AT and C4). I mean, last night, I was the lone defender at an outpost and tried laying down AT on the road outside the base, then I went back to the terminal resupplied with Claymores, then laid 2 of them by the capture point of the outpost. Although I didn't go back to the road to see if the mines were still there, I noticed the death spam from an incoming Vanguard, then after a couple minutes, the death spam from 2 NC who ate my claymores at the cap point. Apparently, the game allows multiple explosive types to be laid down simultaneously if you resupply.
  20. Ghosty11

That is correct, but there is a limit. You can't keep running back to the terminal and dropping more, as the first ones dropped will disappear. The limit seems to be the maximum amount that you can carry of each type.