[Vehicle] ESF hover mechanic. How it should actually work.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, May 25, 2015.

1. Czarinov

Yeah, heli duels with seat switching and TV missiles :) great times...

I'm studying for magister finals, mate. At least replying on the forum is not that time consuming as actually playing the game. Though replying on forumside is a bad habit.
  2. Ulas

My last final (biology) was today :p Good luck with yours
  3. Czarinov

Congrats and thanks mate ;). Yeah, it's a thesis defense combined with 15 minute finals of a 2 years study.
  4. Teshrrar

I didn't say it had to be realistic, I said it had to mean something. Press space and point the mouse isn't diversity, is boring, and if you think it's not, just look the skies. Even in 90+ battles we have 2~3 air unities. Devs even had to create a lot of Anti Air options because there is not enough air numbers to contain air unities, and it get worse month after month.

I played PS2 a lot in the early days, with membership, and stopped (paying membership) because air was boring, and PS2 infantry never was what I'm looking for. I play actually once in a while just because PS2 is the only game where I can help the ground unities like in a RTS (even without gain so much points for that), but my patience with the game is very limited, specially when I'm obligated do hover fight to protect myself, where I can't do not even a single maneuver: press space, point the mouse, or you are dead.
    Sometimes I don't even bother defend, I just jump the ESF, pick another and change the objective.

Air is boring, as tank. Infantry have a little fun, but when you play a combined arms game, you want everything working. We have much better infantry FPSs in market.
  5. Ulas

Well! fair enough! but just so you know if u press space u will get 1clipped^^. As for the only couple of pilots are above large battles. It happens once players get better and u start seeing elitists ,u know it has started. It ısnt much different in bf mostly if there is an ace pilot , air becomes 1sided only 1 person happens to be in the air most of the time. You can lower skill ceiling but you also need competition. Lowering skill ceiling will make elitists quit the game and make the game casual or rather easy completely throwing off competition.
    As for the flying in ps2 : eventhough i am a mediocre pilot i will give u hints on what i do.
    ıts not just holding space currently i use 4 different manuevering styles i found out to dodge and be effective on the bsttleground.
    For example some pilots are better than me on close range so i usually keep my self spinning around them and keeping the same alttitude so thst me or the opponent doesnt drop down to me closing the gap.
    For some pilots for example (generally lower skill level) this works for pilots with lower reaction time i lean towards one side changing my vertical direction by timing when opponent re adjusts aim.
    There is also rushing but i am really really bad at this.
    Approaching enemy i usually stay higher than them not using afterburner so they wont hear me since most ppl complete their reverse with lower hook which gives a large area to shoot.
    Another one i like using : this one is really fun and also practical for some multiple opponent situations. I generally get under the enemy and ince they start smoking i use ab ascending rapidly keeping my aim. just recently found out starteing this with a double tap throws of your enemies aim.
    Also since the other guy will try approaching you from top (probably) this will put u in a good position once u finish the first one.
  6. Teshrrar

Thanks for the tips, but you didn't understand: I know how to play ESF, but after some game sessions it just get boring. Using the WT as example, there I can play everyday (when I can...) and enjoy all the simulator matches (I do not play arcade). Here I play 1 day for 1 hour and quit, bored. In WT I really have diversity: planes, maneuvers, tactics, etc. In PS2 I have only 1 A2A gameplay, changing just how you point your mouse or how much you press space. This is not diversity, just a variation of the same thing. That's why today I don't defend myself most of the times: is boring (and pointless).

And you can't deny: air is empty, and not just because all problems PS2 have besides air, but the air itself, empty as it is, show to us how air is a problem. Exactly how the tank gameplay show to us how it lack depth when you see 10+ tanks shooting at the same target. But since tanks have more elements, you have a little more players than air, but the majority leave it, and the game, because it is boring.

While you all insist the air and the tanks have no problem and is fun and is right as it is, PS2 lose players month after month. Look, I don't care if they do not change the air: I play WT and have a lot of fun there with a mature group of sim players I found. However, I would like to see the air in PS2 offer more than today "point and mouse and press space" gameplay, because PS2 is the only one in genre (until Eternal Crusade, I think). If it didn't, because devs or fanboys, I'm not losing much, you all loyal players who are.

PS2 need a refresh, and the air need more than any other "arm".
    • Up x 1
  7. Ulas

Well technically most of the stuff that happens in wt is turning and approaching your enemy. Most of the maneuvers use these.
    We should talk about how to make hover better. Planetside doesn't need physics changes it needs objectives. Even in gta there are objectives you can chase after u finish the game. Not only air but tanks and infantry reward k/d .no one gives a damn about how many bases you have captured.
    most of the time there is a zergfit going after alerts.
    Most of the infantry players who are considered good or best just jump between defensive bases and farm. Game literally wants you to keep the enemy sunderer and farm it instead of getting rid of it.
    WE need more game modes not just alerts but things to do.
    GAme is poorly optimised it runs like ****. There are too many things to be justified because of how hit detection works a lot bs **** happens in game. Its way too complicated and there is no way a new player with lower attention spam will learn it. Literally only thing it shows in the tutorial are "how to stand next to points,if u are red you cant pass through blue doors and how to shoot tanks with rocket launcher".
    Dev team isn't close to players. They should hangout with players and make videos. so that game can have a good reputation on social media.

So instead of being simple and changing it back to what's been done 500 gazillion billion times let's be innovative and focus on making the current game better.
    • Up x 1
  8. Czarinov

GG for ignoring my reply to you where I shattered some of your arguments.

I doubt so.

Of course, because you're used to it. There is nothing surprising, nor imagination challenging.
  9. Jawarisin

keep reading cutey
  10. Kristan

keep bumping my thread up sweetie ;)
  11. Jawarisin

Will do, darling