Engineers should be able to revert hacked turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dusty El Lion, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Dusty El Lion

I mean why couldn't they? They already repair the damn thing. I catch and kill a infiltrator who's have an AA turret but I can't do a damn thing about it without switching to infiltrator, a class which I have no certs and no experience with. As it is not enough players play infiltrator on defense to keep up with the amount of rogue caps, and don't even get me started on that one guy who's 20 hexes behind your lines at the amp station which he can't even cap hacking all the turrets for the points.
    • Up x 6
  2. Cowboyhomer

I agree...to me that would fall under a type of repair since it is in my own base. I dont think Engi's should be able to hack enemy bases though.
  3. wowie

You can "hack" it. Blow it up and it'll revert to the faction that owns the base. I "hack" stuff all the time with my engineer.
    • Up x 2
  4. MarioO

They should at least be able to repair terminals / turrets when they were hacked by the enemy and destroyed (by some idiot in the own team). It's very anoying if you can't use a vehicle because the destroyed terminal has still still the enemy ownership.
  5. Dusty El Lion

That's a lot of ordnance to waste on what should be a feature. Hell put a time penalty on it compared to hacking, then it'll be balanced.

Also I agree that destroyed hacked turrets and consoles should revert to the original owners control.
  6. Purple Pooka

While I hate to wander into the strawman territory, there's always the reverse of this situation. I'm CQC sneaking into a base on my Infiltrator. Due to the circumstances, my best "sniper rifle" is a turret on the base's wall. However due to lazy Engineers not repairing their own turrets, I can't hack anything. Nor can I just hack one of the weapon terminals in the open areas of the base since I still won't be able to repair an enemy turret as an Engineer (in order to hack it to my side).

Sometimes we get stuck in annoying situations. In a perfect world, I should be able to repair enemy tech (for no experience) in order to steal it. However that's not how SOE wants to play the game. The same applies to your frustration with wanting to avoid class switching. I've been there myself when I still wanted to be a "pure" Infiltrator. However you sometimes have to branch out into other classes in order to achieve your personal objectives.
    • Up x 4
  7. Madmojo

It should be like Planetside 1, the hack only lasts a certain time. It should not be permanent. 5 mins tops.
    • Up x 4
  8. Goodnight

yup... the op clearly doesn't understand the uses of c4
  9. WycliffSlim

If anyone can rehack a terminal in their base, it takes away the one part of infiltrating that Infiltrators are actually good at. Although... if it took some time to hack it could be funny to set up ambushes and shoot people in the head while they try to get it back xD.
    But still, poor idea in my mind. The point of hacking stuff is to slow down and harass the enemy, if Joe LA can get it back in 15 seconds it takes that away since the enemy isn't forced to change to infiltrator and rehack it or waste resources destroying it.

Like I said, the hacking is supposed to be a pain in the *** for the defending team. It's supposed to slow them down and force them to waste time getting it back in addition to allowing friendlies to use things. Lets not cripple the one infiltraty thing that infiltrators are actually good for.
  10. Dusty El Lion

I understand your frustrations, but the role of the engineer is to maintain and repair base defenses, I can't do that if all it takes is a infiltrator to hack a turret to prevent me from doing that. I also agree that lazy engineers cause a lot of problems for both sides, but there's only so much you can do to fix stupid. I'm just wanting a change to the mechanics of the game that makes sense from a balance and a reality stand point.

"There's no problem! Just use this extremely unituitive and slapdash solution, it'll be fine!"

Sure c4 is a work around, if I'm carrying it. But that's just it its a workaround for a problem that needs fixed. Okay it works in the short term but its costly, inefficient, and down right dumb. You don't put a doughnut spare on your car to replace your tire, you do it to get you to actual tire shop to fix the actual problem.
  11. Dusty El Lion

I'm not saying Joe the LA. I'm saying the Bob Engineer. You know, the guy who fixes everything? The guy who's job it is to maintain a base defense? Sure make it a inefficient backhack, take twice or three times as long, hell make me cert it. But for the love of god at least let me actually do my damn job.
    • Up x 1
  12. draiocht

If/when they give engineers the ability to deconstruct enemy vehicles, I could see this tying into that perfectly! *hopes*

It's not particularly adding something the engineer couldn't already do another way, but it makes it vastly more convenient.

OT1: And yes, they really need to fix their terminal ownership bugs. Some infantry terminals seem to be forever unusable.
    OT2: I'd also like to see the repair tool have an on/off switch rather than a trigger, but I could probably get around that.
  13. JackD

PS: Nobody hacks them for the XP
  14. Dusty El Lion

Maybe not, but there's still always at least two or three hacked turrets at any base, even the long since secured ones.
  15. OSUSentinel

I think that this is a good idea after the turret has been destroyed. If the infil is in it or you havnt taken out the turret then how can you hack it. But does the turret instantly revert to its controlling faction when it is destroyed alloying the engineer to repair it?
  16. Keldoris

Hey !
    There are sooo many engineers that hacking would became useless. Hacking is not meant only to ressuply or spawn a tank in ennemy base, its also here to paralize a bit the enemy.

Btw: hacked terminals and turrets are almost always near a spawn room that is not hackable, so just go there, change class to infli and re-hack it... Not difficult no ?

Cu
  17. JackD

Yes, but there is a easy fix, Infiltrators can hack them back. There is no need to give the engineer something like that. People are often just to lazy to do the support stuff like hacking, repairng turrets, driving sundys. But this are not reasons for changing the game mechanics to something that is idiotproof. Its an advantage for the enemy.
  18. Purple Pooka

It seems like we see eye to eye on many things, but I still have to object on the hacking issue. Why? Because the Infiltrator is a mostly worthless class. Our pseudo-stealth has a bunch of flaws (which are covered in depth in the Infiltrator forums) and we have a -100 HP penalty on our Shield's HP pool. The only reasons to ever take an Infiltrator into CQC situations are for their enemy radar darts (which can be imitated by a maxed out Scout Radar on a Flash) and their hacking abilities. That's it.

In the current environment, most Infiltrators don't seem to use their radar darts in CQC for the good of the team. Many of them will even ignore hacking, which boggles my mind. They picture themselves as snipers, even in CQC settings. As a result, a lot of players think of CQC Infiltrators as dead weight.

Now let's take this one step further. Right now, the only unique value of a CQC Infiltrator is hacking. Your proposed idea is breaking up Infiltrator's monopoly on hacking, in favor of adding it to the already popular Engineer class. This leaves Infiltrator with the unique role of being a sniper, which isn't very special in CQC settings. At that point, why would people want to play an Infiltrator? An Engineer with anti-personal mines and a fully upgraded Scout Radar Flash would be able to imitate every aspect of an Infiltrator (expect sniping) while still having multiple abilities that an Infiltrator lacks.

This is the heart of the problem. Cloaking is easy to see at high graphics settings and alternate vision scopes (like IRNV and Thermal) automatically show an Infiltrator. Their Shield generator is weaker than anyone else and their natural healing rate is much low than an Engineer. So why would people use Infiltrator beyond being a long range sniper? I can't think of a dang thing, which is what your suggestion will cause.
  19. Dusty El Lion

I'm not trying to **** the infiltrator any more then it is, but I'm saying part of the hacking mechanic is flawed. A infiltrator hacking a turret is already a blow to a bases firepower, with that one anti-vehicle turret they can put the hurt on anybody and anything nearby. I just don't think it should be a permanent lock out for the defending team, especially since, as you pointed out, the infiltrator isn't that likely to be run in a CQC situation. I'm sure this will be partially mitigated by the arrival of SMGs, but it still sub optimal. So the defending team should have some sort of response to this outside of wasting ordnance on unmanned turrets (and believe me they're usually unmanned). Make me have to cert for it, make it take a long time so that a infiltrator can ambush me while I'm doing it, or it could take so long as to give the attackers a window in.

Hell I could see pairing this with that other thread, the one suggesting that firing on turret your team has hacked doesn't count as friendly fire. Now I'm still struggling to fix the turret so it can defend itself. The infiltrator has done is job, he's made my life hell, and he's probably going to get me killed while I try and rehack, then repair the AA turret.
  20. Talizzar

Engineers don't hack. Other than blowing it up why would an Engineer be able to hack.

A hack timer is a reasonable solution. 5 minutes is too short, maybe 10.

Do people really stay behind and fix stuff anymore? (sarcasm sort of)