Engineers should be able to revert hacked turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dusty El Lion, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Talizzar

Then why not just put all the skills into on toon and save a lot of misery for SOE. We are all versed on the skills of a medic, HA, LA, etc. Why would you want to take away one of the few things that an Infiltrator can do?
    • Up x 2
  2. WycliffSlim

I'm sorry to do this but the point just isn't getting across so maybe all caps will help...
    THAT'S THE POINT OF HACKING TURRETS!!!
    An infiltrator and hacking is designed to pain in your ***! Essentially, you're complaining because an enemy is well organized and infiltrated your base to take down turrets prior to assaulting. It's called strategy and it's kind of what this game is about.

Do you know why I go into a base and hack terminals? So that when our armor rolls up and general quarters goes up everyone mans battle stations and discovers most of the turrets have been taken while they were distracted. Sure, drop some C4/shoot some rockets and they're in your control again, but that precious minute or two is all that is required for our armor to roll up and overwhelm the defenses.

This game is designed so that things have counters and it's not a static experience during every battle. Infiltrators infiltrate and wreck havoc with the enemy defenses and pave the way for assault troops to come in. The only reason you're complaining is because you think that another class doing its job well is inconveniencing you. Well you know what, that's kinda what enemies do... they inconvenience you. As an infiltrator, I'd really like to be invulnerable or be able to stay cloaked while I hack turrets because it's really inconvenient to get shot while I'm hacking but I understand that it would be plain stupid to allow that. Infiltrators are a huge handicap when they go into a base since they have less health and a less than optimal CQC weapons list. If you're worried about it just kill the infiltrators.

And, if there is so much enemy infantry that you can't rehack a turret in your own base then you need to stop worrying about the armor outside and start worrying about the infantry inside. In a situation where the enemy infantry is inside your tower the battle is long past the shooting tanks with turrets phase. You'd have much more luck as a LA with C4 or shooting the infantry that's inside your base.

Tl;Dr version: Stop complaining just because someone is using their class skill. Learn how to counter it and you'll be fine but don't just sit and try to further cripple another class just because what they do is inconvenient to you. Adjust your play to fit the situation.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dusty El Lion

I'm not taking away anything. I'm trying to fix a broken mechanic, the infiltrator isn't losing any real utility if the engineer can slowly revert a hacked turret. He still did his job, he ****** up the enemies defense, now I have to go try and fix a turret, and I'm probably going to get shot in the back while doing it.
  4. WycliffSlim

In the case you're talking about, quite frankly it would be faster for you to just switch to infiltrator, rehack the turret, switch back to engie, have fun. As many people have stated, why don't you just do this. It's not like changing classes costs you anything or takes time to do.

And you are taking away utility. If you gave another class the ability to deploy ammo or set up a turret and justified it by saying "well, it takes twice as long to deploy or distribute ammo as an engie" the amount of **** thrown would be gorgeous. Why? Because one thing that engies really specialize in is now being shared among other classes. Same with allowing engies to rehack turrets.
  5. Aghar30

erm why, when an infil hacks something it starts communicating with their base and would most likely use their encryption, hence you need to hack the item.
  6. Wobberjockey

except you ARE

by allowing engineers to unhack you are removing the need for infiltrators after a base flips... and you can already do that by blowing the turret up ANYWAYS, and then repairing it.

you might as well just flip off the entire infiltrator community while you are at it and remind us how useless we are at every other task worth doing in a base assault, and no, sniping isn't useful in a base assault
    • Up x 2
  7. WycliffSlim

Lets be fair, we don't actually care how a terminal/turret is hacked and that's not the point. It doesn't matter if SOE said that infiltrators stick their magical finger(you know what I really wanted to put) in the power outlet and by virtue of their... girth it overrides the commands. That how is irrelevant in this case since it's all completely irrelevant to the point. Infiltrators hack, engineers repair.
  8. Dusty El Lion

I think you all are having a knee jerk reaction to this and straw manning it out of proportion. The engineer will NOT be replacing the infiltrator. I'm not asking him to get the ability to just hack turrets. All I'm saying is that, as an extension of his role as a battlefield mechanic and defensive expert, he should be able to restore turrets to full working order. Maybe he's not efficient as it, maybe it takes more time, or special certs This isn't comparable to giving the HA a ammo packet or letting a LA spawn a MANA turret, it's just fixing a unintuitive game play mechanic.

My recourse for a hacked turret shouldn't be me having to blow it up, then repair it. That's bad game design, its counter-intuitive, makes no sense, and above is a giant waste of resources. Now if the engineer's "back-hack" took as long as a full repair does, do you really think that's hurting the infiltrator? Again, maybe AP mine the turret, or stick around and kill the guy. Hell just keep using the turret and wracking up those free kills.
  9. OrbitalNZ

The issue is not Infiltrators hacking turrets/terminals.
    And allowing engineers to "hack" control back is not a solution.

The only issue IMHO is that large bases should have more equipment terminals peppered through out the base.
    The reason players find hacked equipment so frustrating is the walk all the way back to the spawn room when you find hacked equipment in order to switch to infiltrator to fix it, and back again to change back once dealt with.
    • Up x 1
  10. R-A-B

Because you would take away a major class bonus of infiltrators. They have to have some use for crying out loud
    • Up x 2
  11. Dusty El Lion

How am I taking it away? Even in PS1 there was a five minute timer on hacking turrets, it wasn't permanent. The ability to hack turrets would still be useful, and were assuming that the player who finds the hacked turret is even an engineer, they're just as likely to be a LA or HA.
  12. Oreo202

Aside from the fact that Infiltrator's ONLY real, useful role is hacking things and taking it away would make them more useless... It won't be as much as a problem soon, due to the release of SMGs, which means more people will be playing infiltrator.
    Edit: I should also say that I planned to play infiltrator on launch, but ended up not even trying due to how under powered and useless it felt.
  13. R-A-B

So go to an infantry terminal and change class. Don't be so lazy.
    • Up x 2
  14. Tasogie

Thats part of the deal being a Inf,w e take out defences, an make them useless til the base flips (working as intended) otherwise you make inf's useless an good for nothing but sniping. You should have infs in your base to help keep them up.
    • Up x 1
  15. WycliffSlim

I disagree, and straw man is certainly not the correct description. Our point is that infiltrators hack. Engineers resupply and repair. LA are good at getting past defenses and hitting hard from behind. Medics are good a healing and providing some gun support. HA are good at soaking up bullets and fighting armor/air. You notice there's a trend here? None of the class specific skills are shared amongst other classes. That's for a reason, they made class switching incredibly easy so that you can adapt to a changing battlefield. If an infiltrator has been going around hacking turrets it's not that hard to switch to infiltrator and rehack them. If a bunch of armor rolls up and I'm playing infiltrator, I'm not going to complain that I can't do **** about armor. I'm going to switch to HA or LA or even Engi and go tear up some tanks.

Each class has their strengths and weaknesses and part of the game is knowing when to utilize it. The answer isn't to have SOE homogenize the classes it's for players to adapt to the battlefield. Learn to do that and you'll be fine. I play Infiltrator outside and in the opening acts of assaults and then switch to an assault class because infiltrators don't really make a difference in end-game base combat. I do this because I know the strengths and limitations of the class. Know the strengths and limitations of the class and hacked turrets are no longer and issue because you'll take 30 seconds to get an infiltrator and rehack it. Either that or you'll blow it up. Either way the turret is yours, the infiltrator is happy because he wasted your time/resources(although lets be fair, they're pretty much free), and classes are still distinctly different.
    • Up x 1
  16. JP_Russell

Yes, it does. Anyone experiencing otherwise has encountered a bug.
    • Up x 1
  17. Gaulven

Engineers in real-life contexts are also responsible for cleaning up after being hacked. I think an Engineer "fix hack" ability wouldn't infringe on the role of Infiltrators if it took the same amount of time as it does to shoot it up and repair it. That would probably be 4x the time as it takes an Infiltrator to hack it and wouldn't buff Engineers because they always have enough ammunition and it wouldn't save time. But it would bring a little sanity to the process and end the risk of needless friendly fire.

I think there are more important changes to make though.

Last I encountered a fully-hacked friendly base, I blew up a terminal, fixed it, and switched to Infiltrator to fix the rest.
    • Up x 1
  18. FigM

engineers already have too many useful roles, while infiltrators have few.

don't take another niche from infiltrators and give it to engineers!
  19. WycliffSlim

Exactly, that's really the fastest and simplest way to do it. I'm not sure why people don't seem to understand this. There's a system already in place for reclaiming hacked terminals/turrets. Quite frankly, even if it only took 4x longer to hack them back if there's more than one it would be quicker to just switch to infiltrator and hack them back. There's a perfectly functional system in place, you just have to take advantage of it. You, sir, are at least a halfway intelligent player.
  20. Agile

to OP...i play engineer a lot.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you.
    • Up x 2