Engineers should be able to revert hacked turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dusty El Lion, Jan 29, 2013.

1. VelcroPudding

uhm . . . engineer drops a tank mine on item, shoots tank mine, blows up item, repairs item

massive certs and you didn't have to hack.

what's wrong with you OP that you can't do this?
  2. OSUSentinel

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it
  3. Stormlight666

Your rant is not the point. It's about permanent hacking of turrets/terminals. A small group of infiltrators can hack every behind the line base hours in advance making them unusable until someone rehacks things (note the extended time period has no bearing in this, it could have been hacked 30 minutes in advance). It's a good tactic. However since the game doesn't support deploying to non-conflict areas, by the time you realize that the base defenses and terminals have been hacked its usually under some sort of immediate threat by the enemy.

So the engineer going out changes to an infiltrator and tries to rehack things, the battle goes badly since you've lost your headstart and you go to the next base only to discover.... EVERYTHING HAS BEEN HACKED. Repeat process until you're at your warpgate or you get a group going to hack it back in advance.

That's highly unfair - after all the base defender already get the short end of the stick due to the crappy base construction. Now if it had a time limit of 15 minutes the infiltrator team would have to sneak in and do the job (like real infiltrators) instead of a ghost hack crew then stick around keeping the timers resetting by using things. That makes things a lot more interesting.
  4. WycliffSlim

Quite frankly, I for one have never seen this happen. I've been in multiple defenses and I've rarely encountered many hacked turrets when the assault begins. Sure, at recently capped points you have a few infiltrators running around cause some annoyance for awhile. but, quite frankly, if the enemy has the patience to go into a point an hour in advance, hack everything, assault and take it before we can get anything up and running I wouldn't even be mad. That would take incredibly good planning and execution. In addition, it would take a very lackluster defense that couldn't hold the enemy off for 1 minute while a couple infiltrators got them back or they were destroyed and rebuilt. Besides, again, that's the point. You waste a couple minutes of the enemies time to get a foothold.

I wouldn't really have any problem with a non-static hack timer. By that I mean the same principle as vehicles if you're not in them. The countdown doesn't start until the terminal/turret isn't used. Then after 10-15 minutes it reverts back to the home team. I could get behind that.
  5. The King

And I could have easily hacked it back, dodging people, actually no, I don't dodge people, I kill them. Then I hack it back.
    You're just making an excuse to make it easier for you when it is not needed.

There are infiltrators, let them do something..
    Also, you have a cloak, it is not hard to reach to that point to kill the sunderer with a turret..
  6. Brids

This thread makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Are you guys actually arguing that a simple class change takes so long that it's game breaking and thus makes you lose every single battle you fight? Even if engineers could hack back turrets, it would take just as long, if not longer for the sake of balance, to get to back to being yours again. So what difference does it make if you just change your class?
    • Up x 1
  7. SirKuma

I play engineer almost 100% of the time. It's my main class.

I completely disagree with the OP and I'm on the side of the infiltrators. Engis shouldn't be able to hack, not even defensively. If someone can't see how that would take away from Infiltrators already low utility then they need to stop posting because they don't have to mental capacity to form sound arguments. End of story.
    • Up x 3
  8. The King

Well, that's what the infiltrators do. If it hurts and makes you cry, that's good.
    That is what enemies do. They aren't there to help you.
    And no, if it stays hacked, that's a good thing. It is your fault for not unhacking it. And if you didn't notice it being hacked, it does NOT take long at all to unhack things while being attacked.

I really do not think you know how to play the engineer class. It isn't as hard as you make it out to be.

IF engineers can rehack things back, it should be a 5 minute timer. meaning, it takes 5 whole minutes of holding down the button to get it back. Or, you can just change to an infiltrator and get it back.....

You're whining for no good reason. Your argument is flawed. It is useless.

I agree with Wobblejockey and WycliffSlim, except for his part on not caring if the terminals get unhacked all by itself. Everything else he said, spot on.
  9. Stormlight666

Yeah that's all I want, a system just like the vehicle timer.
  10. Stormlight666

Well WycliffSlim is willing to get behind the idea that a hacked turret runs on a vehicle timer, if the infiltrator doesn't hop in during the next 10 minutes it'll go back to base control
  11. Wobberjockey

considering how little XP that infiltrators get, and how an engie gets MORE xp for blowing up a hacked turret and then consequently repairing it, this whole thread is just full of entitled engineers whining.

really this is like asking for a LA's jetpack so you can jump off a tech plant and not kill yourself

the hypothetical hack to warpgate scenario is cute, but let's be honest, it won't do anything. not as long as the enemy inf is prevented from getting at a spawn room terminal, and even then, infiltrator is only a /suicide and a 15 second spawn timer away.

a hacked turret or terminal is a hindrance at best. they work best when they are hacked and then actively supported by other attacking infantry who have taken the area
    • Up x 1
  12. WycliffSlim

Well, let me clarify my position. I said I wouldn't have a problem with it, not that I support it :p. I feel that it's unecesary but I know that it wouldn't really effect how I use Infiltrator class which is why I personally don't care. Also, not just infiltrator hopping in, any friendly using it, though for arguments sake it would usually be an infiltrator. I don't see a change like that really making a big difference which is why it wouldn't bother me. haha
  13. Dusty El Lion

Personal insults don't lend any credit to your argument, and I like how you ignored the part of his post where he agreed with me. I'm not replacing any ability I'm adding a counter to one. My MANA turret and repair abilities are undone by rocket launchers, why can't a hack be countered by a engineer? The infiltrator, still causes chaos, still locks me out of a turret for some time, and still potentially cripples a defense, nothing is changed expect for streamlining the mechanics of a game.

Having to blow stuff up THEN repair isn't good game design. Its a stopgap solution to get around a broken system.
  14. WycliffSlim

Are you saying I insulted you or him? Either way I insulted no one. I complimented him on how he dealt with the situation and I said nothing at all about you.

In truth, you are somewhat replacing an ability. A counter to hacking would be that an engineer gets a notification if a turret/terminal in his area is being hacked. A counter to hacking would be if an engineer could set a trap on a turret the blew up if someone tried to hack it. Those are direct counters because they will directly counter the infiltrators ability to hack your stuff. What you're proposing isn't really a counter, it's just giving you an extra ability because you're either too lazy to switch to infiltrator for 30 seconds and get it back or you're not in a squad or around enough people that you can just have another infiltrator hack it back.

Allow me to give you some more examples of what a counter is. Vehicles can be incredibly effective against ground targets and air impervious to small arms fire. The counter is that infantry can use rockets and C4 to kill them and get flak armor to have a better chance of surviving their shots. Engineers have the ability to deploy a turret that he can hide behind and is extremely difficult to kill by infantry without going through the shield first. The counter is that he is a very obvious target and there's a nice little gap in the turret right where his head goes that is practically begging for a sniper round. Infiltrators can infiltrate enemy bases to hack terminals and turrets. The counter is that most every other class can beat them in a straight up fight and they have to remain decloaked and motionless for at least a few seconds. Aircraft are incredibly powerful tools for dominating the battle. The counter is that you can spawn a half-dozen burster maxes and some HA with lock-on missiles and make the area around you a complete no-fly zone. Counters aren't just giving your opponent the same ability as you, if anything that would be lazy game design.

Again, the reason you have to blow up the terminal and reconstruct it is that the point of an infiltrator is to frustrate the defense. They're making you was resources and time. Resources if you blow it up. Time if you wait for another infiltrator to hack it back or switch to one yourself. I've been in situations before where there's 5 players waiting to spawn a vehicle because and infiltrator hacked the turrets and there's not an engineer around to repair them. I wasn't upset, I have the infiltrator props for some damn good work. He's doing what he should be doing, slowing us down. And honestly, it's not like resources are scarce in this game, is it really going to hurt you to burn some on the C4 it takes to destroy a turret? Or just have a HA take it out with rockets, resupply him and everyone's happy. I'm not really sure why I'm still debating this because it's never going to happen because SOE understands the need to have class specific abilities. If you let engineer rehack turrets why not give infiltrators jet-packs? After all, they're supposed to infiltrate, doesn't it seem logical that they would be the ones with the ability to waltz over walls?
    • Up x 1
  15. SirKuma

Know what else doesn't lend any credit to an argument? Simply repeating the same thing over and over again for 4 pages.

As for not taking anything away from the infiltrator, let me try to explain it in simple terms. The infiltrator currently has a 100% monopoly on hacking and counter-hacking. You propose giving the counter-hacking ability to engineers. This would mean infiltrators now only have a 50% monopoly on counter-hacking. If you can't see that 50% is less than the previous 100% then something is very wrong. Also 50% isn't really a monopoly, is it? So your proposal would TAKE AWAY the infiltrators MONOPOLY on counter-hacking. Infiltrators NEED to have a monopoly on SOMETHING because they currently have extremely low utility in this game. Taking away ANYTHING from them would be extreme bad. Understand now?

And that bit about blowing things up then repairing them being a stop gap solution to a broken system? It's not a solution to a broken system, it's a solution to you not moving your lazy *** to a terminal, changing class, and counter-hacking. The system isn't broken. The system pertains to infiltrators being the class to hack and counter-hack. The system is working as intended. If you refuse to go change to an infiltrator, and there are no other infiltrators around, and you have no friends or allies who are infiltrators that you can call in for assistance then the system isn't what's broken but the players, you included, are what has failed in this instance.

And no, simply repeating that you find it inconvenient, and that you BELIEVE engineers should be able to counter-hack as part of base defense, over and over again, does not make it any more of a valid argument than it was in the OP. We have read your posts, we understand what you want, we do not agree with you. We've posted the reasons why. It's an unnecessary change. It takes away from an already low utility class. Not only can you solve the broken by changing class, but you even have the EXTRA option of just blowing up the terminal/turret and repairing it for even MORE points. How spoiled can you be? The tiny pro of it being convenient to you is FAR outweighed by all the cons mentioned. And it isn't even a pro to the game as a whole, its just a pro to 1 class, the engineer, who really doesn't need it to begin with.

Once again, this coming from someone who plays engineer as their primary class.
    • Up x 1
  16. Stormlight666

Hey by putting a timer on it means that infiltrators need to really infiltrate and either rehack or hop into their turrets/use terminals, which would also put pressure on SOE to increase the cloaking duration to let them be infiltrators.

It'd prevent mass-hacking of bases in advance and give defenders a better chance at defending a functional base.

All in all, It's a win/win for everyone, especially hackers which could always rehack things for extra xp once it resets. BTW, I also don't believe that infiltrators should time out for gaining xp on hacks so quickly. Gives no real point for them to go behind the lines and justify the time/xp loss - taking away from any meta game.