Either fix PPA, or nerf Canister

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mechwolf, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Zotamedu

Could you people give VS more than a day to figure out the new weapon? It takes some time to get used to a change in mechanics. Now you cannot sit on a hill and spam a base and expect to actually hit anything so no wonder it isn't performing. Give it a week and let people get used to its new role.

It's also pretty interesting how nothing was wrong with the Canister and how the PPA was fine a week ago. Now when the PPA is redesigned to fit the same role as the other factions AI top guns, the Canister suddenly becomes OP over night.
    • Up x 6
  2. MasterDk78

There is nothing wrong with the canister... And I am not even main nc!
    • Up x 1
  3. TripleMeows

LOL Omg man I have never laughed so hard in my life. Canister OP? I thought I'd never see the day someone would mutter those words and be serious about it and on top of that the HARASSER one! LOL Stealth harasser with Canister OMG too good! Please tell me more!!!
    • Up x 1
  4. Geddes

first post in history calling for canister nerf. slow clapping irl.
    • Up x 1
  5. MasterDemoman

I have more than the two shyte tier alts in my sig, probably 110-ish hours played on factions that aren't NC...
    And I've been killed, what, 7 times... Overall from the Cannister?

If that means nothing, then I'm not going to offer anything valid to this thread, so, uh.. See you l8r m88s.
    • Up x 1
  6. HUDuser

This thread is a great example as to how ****** forumside can be. No reason to arguments, no peer-to-peer communication, just pure fan boy over factions and their weapons. As soon as someone tries to tread on that, they all flip **** and whine about how they are the only faction to ever get nerfed even though every faction goes through it too.

Stay classy guys.
  7. Person7man

The marauder was formerly incredibly OP but got nerfed to oblivion.
    The PPA was incredibly OP until a month ago.
    The canister has NEVER been good.

Just use the Kobalt. It's amazing and always has been.
    • Up x 3
  8. Sneakle

It seems all VS are keeping there fire button presse down making the PPA blooming like there was no tomorrow. Burst fire it damnit. Or ask for it to be burst fire only so players understand how to use it? :p

I've gunned with the PPA on a harasser, no problem really, but if you keep that fire button down it sucks very fast. It is underperforming a wee bit but no much if you burst fire. I think the CoF needs to reset faster when bursting, but not much just a little and you are fine.

Playing TR or NC puts evidence to my point here, it seems most just keep firing and not bursting the PPA making it spread all over. So if VS players cant burst, force them by making it a burst weapon? :)

Now have 2 PPA/light PPA work together against infantry (bursting) and it's deadly and surpressing. But 1 alone isnt like the old PPA where you could just stay at range and keep spamming, now you actually have to work together AND be closer which makes your vehicle take more damage hence why you need to work together not play as one vehicle wanting to own it all :p
  9. Xasapis

That's my experience as well. Now you need two vehicles with PPA to mimic what one vehicle of the other factions can do.
  10. Alox

The splash damage of the PPA is all but gone, you basically need to make hits with the PPA now, turning it into a play style like the kobalt - except that the kobalt is better with that play style. The nerf successfully removed any reason to pull a PPA.
  11. Lord_Avatar

This must have been posted in this thread a ton of times already, but I don't care. I just came here to state that the topic itself is enough to warrant locking it before a single response appears...

Seriously.
  12. NinjaTurtle

Lol seriously

The NC have an AI weapon that was not fit for purpose for the majority of the games life and now the VS have had their 200m sniping god weapon removed we get threads like this

You VS really are funny

Awesome working as intended
  13. Borsty

The PPA is now perfectly in-line with the other faction specific vehicle AI weapons. There's also no reason to use the others.
    Want AI with splash? Go fury. Want AI at longer ranges? Go Kobalt.
    Is this good? No. But at least it's balanced.
  14. Xasapis

3707 - C85 Canister | KPH | Daily Average: 93.74
    3701 - NC M12 Kobalt-MBT | KPH | Daily Average: 73.94

4007 - P525 Marauder | KPH | Daily Average: 81.70
    4001 - TR M12 Kobalt-MBT | KPH | Daily Average: 64.85

3404 - Proton II PPA | KPH | Daily Average: 59.29
    3401 - VS M12 Kobalt-MBT | KPH | Daily Average: 99.92

I don't see balance, do you?
    Lets check the Harasser as well:

6124 - C85 Canister-H | KPH | Daily Average: 103.10
    6116 - NC M40 Fury-H | KPH | Daily Average: 90.86

6122 - P525 Marauder-H | KPH | Daily Average: 132.14
    6117 - TR M40 Fury-H | KPH | Daily Average: 92.51

6125 - Proton II PPA-H | KPH | Daily Average: 89.03
    6115 - VS M40 Fury-H | KPH | Daily Average: 89.37

As you can see, for every other empire except the VS, the empire specific options are superior. Keep also in mind that the actual VS numbers are even lower, since they include some of the pre update days.
  15. Borsty

Those stats do not include population balance, range to kill and whether the killer survived the attack. Also they do not even tell if they killed a vehicle with infantry inside or just the guy. Ontop of that they ignore the cost difference between faction and NS weapons.
    They are meaningless and can be interpreted in any way suitable to support any argument.

Also to add some numbers:
    Let's compare NC Harasser Canister with Kobalt and Fury-H:
    Kobalt KPU (Kills per User) and DPU (Deaths per User): 185+-232.7 // 10+-9.1
    Canister KPU and DPU: 244+-285.5 // 23+-21.8
    Fury-H KPU and DPU: 313+-519.4 // 17+18.6

Do you see the problem there? The Fury massively outperforms the Canister, killing more and getting you killed less. Kobalt seems fine, you don't kill as much as with the close range guns, but also you die less. Risk/Reward seems fine there.
    What I said above goes with those numbers as well, you can interpret them differently as well and they don't include stuff like pop-balance etc.. If you search long enough, you will always find numbers that support your cause.

Just to sort-of complete the post, for VS:
    Kobalt KPU/DPU 213+-272,9 // 9+-9,1
    PPA KPU/DPU 363+-589,7 // 21+-21,2
    Fury-H KPU/DPU 332+-538,8 // 15+-17,1
  16. Copasetic

Interesting how the VS Kobalt seems to be 50% better than the TR Kobalt :rolleyes:
  17. Xasapis

It's get outshined by both the Prowler's primary and the artillery range position of the MBT. Magriders can afford to be a lot closer to infantry than ether of the other two tanks.
  18. Borsty

Lovely how you ignore s.th. like range when it suits you and bring it up when it doesn't ;) The problem is far too complex to discuss it around some numbers pulled from stat sites. Let SOE do it, they have the proper numbers.
  19. Xasapis

There may be underlying reasons for a nerf unrelated to the actual weapon performance. PPA right now is obviously severely underperforming. However, the number of users only dropped in half, which brings them to almost three times the users of the other empire specific AI options. My guess is that the PPA will remain in a sorry state, until VS completely abandon the weapon. It is the exact same scenario with ZOE and VS pulling double the amount of MAXes they normally did. The normal amount is about 80% compared to the other factions btw.
  20. Borsty

Where is the PPA severly underperforming please? Look at the stats I supplied in my post a few posts up. It looks mighty fine there!
    Yes it is a lot worse than it was, but it was quite OP back then. What you are experiencing is the pain of loss of a very powerful weapon. Give it a few months time, then try the PPA again with a fresh mind.