Domeshield

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Nobalification, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Blarg20011

total.
  2. eldarfalcongravtank

everyone, watch this:

perfectly captures what's wrong with these domeshields. personally, i dont want them in the game either because forcing air units to stay outside of bases is not a productive solution to a combined-arms game.
  3. Flukeman62

it really doesn't though. it just means that peouple wont be able to shell bases from stupid distances away where infantry have no chance to fight back and it also stops infantry being able to lock-on/AA spam from the relative safety of their base.
    EDIT it has been confirmed that you will be able to move through the shields . it will only block fire when implemented properly.
  4. TheJeffersonian

Dome shields do not fit aesthetically with amp station design. It's hideous. It'll never look right.
    • Up x 1
  5. planitsider

6. LibertyRevolution

Confirmed by who? Right now on test defenders can fire out but not in, and attackers cannot..
    Just like a big spawn shield..
  7. cwcriner

So just did some tests on the PTS. These things absolutely cannot go live as is. for reference, my outfit love them some gal drops. The shields currently block the air drop in. What's more they are high enough at the tech plant that unless you run immediately to the landing pad on the plant itself, anyone but an light assult will commit suicide from fall damage. The amp station's hole is also high enough to cause major fall damage unless you run outwards onto the walls. These shields must absolutely not block dropping in troops, or if they absolutely need to be used a troop funnels, lower the how high they are so we don't need to pop med kits just to enter.

on a side note: I feel that if the idea is to make all major installations like biolabs; this is almost a good step. First, completely seal the installation, no holes. Second create 2 main entrances infantry can walk through, and then add teleporters. Biolabs work by having the majority of its entrances outside. I've lost count of the times I've had to call in airstikes on enemy sunderers inside an amp station. If you really want amp stations to be infantry only, the sundies cannot be let in past the walls.
    • Up x 2
  8. OldMaster80

Yes but the problem is it blocks fire only coming from outside, and not from inside. Bursters and lock-on rocket launchers are going to rip to shreds every Aircraft getting close: they'll be able to deal damage without being hit. How will we drop from Galaxies?

It would be reasonable and fair only if the domeshields blocked fire in both direction: Aircraft is free to dogfight while infantry is fighting on the ground to take capture points or possibly deactivate the domeshields. Once they're down Liberators can drop some candies from the sky.

I don't know who the hell designed such shields but they shouldn't really go live like this.
  9. Flukeman62

they promised us this on the FNO
  10. Mustarde

This is the worst change I've seen proposed to the game in a long time. Or ever. I hate what it does for both infantry and vehicle gameplay. As an infiltrator, not being able to shoot through the shield is completely terrible. It is a crude bandaid for balance issues and should not go in the game. I can't state just how much I am against these changes. I have tweeted, posted on reddit and here against the dome. I encourage you all to do the same. I dont care that what is on the PTS is probably not how they will implement live. I don't like the concept at all. Not in my wide open beautiful world of planetside. Get that stupid shield out of my way.
  11. EternalNightmare

I have defended you a lot of times SOE both concerning the latice and other things i did not like. But thise, I cant agree with this. Yes its annoying being bombed from above but rendering the need to keep air superiority from the equation is over kill. Not only that but it will limit the tactical options for both the defenders and the attackers.
  12. XCOMMAN

This should not be on the game, air is not a problem on Ps2 if you play in cooperation with the other members of you faction, getting lock on, Bursters, skyguards and AA turrets is the way to counter them. If SOE wants to have less air dominance there are some other ways that should be implemented like changing the amps station bonus to the ability to get liberatros, similar to the one of the techplant, cos honestly that bonus is rubbish.

On the other hand if SOE is trying to have more CQC maybe they should introduce other like basement levels to some bases instead of making this, give more alternatives to fighting instead of forcing air crafts out.
  13. Regpuppy

Episode 33 of FNO to be exact. I'd embed it, but there's an issue with it's embedding currently. You'll have to hunt for it on twitch.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Episode 33 was a month ago... have you seen the videos from the test server as of June 28th...
    Originally you could fly through them and you could not shoot through them, but they have changed that on test.

They are on version 2 of the dome shields on test now.
    They updated the test server with these new version of the shields.

You can fly out of them, but you cannot fly through them from outside.
    You cannot shoot through them from outside, but you can from the inside.
    You cannot drop pod through them, you cannot gal drop through them, you can walk on them..
  15. Regpuppy

You do know that the test build is by no means always up to date or even promised to be working properly, right? The dome shields are basically them taking the warpgate code (because the warpgate renders from far away and doesn't allow people to -not- render it like other shields so they can shout through) and they're trying to make it work a bit differently. If the bases in any way looked like they did in the last Dev version I've seen, then I'd believe it's closer to the final product. But they don't. Most bases are misplaced and some bases are completely broken. Which leads me to believe we're on a much earlier version than the internal server.

Fun thing too, I've been on the test server recently. The shields don't even work the same across different bases. Me and some random TR guy tested this. I think it was Zurvan's shield that didn't allow you to shoot through either way. Dahaka's allowed you to shoot from inside. Didn't bother with others after that because they obviously were not finished.
  16. haldolium

17. Liewec123

we don't want dome shields, we don't need dome shields, do not add dome shields.
    (this coming from someone who hardly ever plays air.)
  18. Nintyuk

I think that all small arms fire should pass through but any thing bigger like flack, vehicle guns and rockets should be stopped. All non-allied aircraft should be stopped but infantry and ground vehicles should be unimpeded. Dropods should have shield diffusers equipped to pass through the shield and the shield diffuser should be a option for galaxy's. Friendly aircraft could use the dome to destroy chasing lock-on's, Infantry can still be sniped through the dome and can't use it to get to new places, same with vehicles (magburner magriders on techplant roofs seems to come to mind).
  19. [HH]Mered4

We should picket SOE's main offices.

NO MORE NERFS! NO DOME-SHIELD! NO MORE NERFS! NO DOME-SHIELD!

Anyone wanna start up a facebook event?
  20. ItsJustDash

WE DON'T WANT DOME SHIELDS

When I first heard of the dome shields I was thinking it was going to be like a bubble you could fly in and drive through, but you could not shout through.

This idea... that is on the PTS is just stupid, it looks fugly, and yeah it is ******* stupid. The idea should be scrapped.