Domeshield

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Nobalification, Jun 26, 2013.

1. KodiakBlack

See I'm massively for the lattice-resource systems getting merged it's just logical, but this is too much,
    -should cut off territory allow caps-No, the whole point of the fluff that you need a hardline to the empires systems to perform the hack
    -should cutting off territory affect how these territories deliver resources to players in them? Yes, more tactics plz

However your route basically means that taking one lane also potentially giftwraps and hands you the one next to it, which I'm not comfortable with, your talking 10 minutes to a small bases being un-defensible. I see what your trying to do, I just think what you suggested would be a touch catastrophic and not add what you actually want.
  2. VSMars

It would be only 10 minutes if nobody bothered to load up a Galaxy or three with resources to keep the defence going, though those could of course be also shot down if the attackers know what they're doing.. Also, it would mean that "last stands" in cut-off territory would concentrate on the bigger installations with a larger resource back-up pool - facilities and military-style bases.

So yeah, I'm quite aware of what my suggestion would do to the game. The whole suggestion, not just the "running out of resources for the generators" parts.
  3. Ash87

So, while I applaud your zeal... the AA guns are actually Above the dome shield. The dome shield will not cover the AA guns. To get to the dome shield, you have to go through the AA guns, an area where you couldn't really really hit a lot before with the AA gun.

Now that said, I kind of agree with what was said by Aval:

Not as much crap, as much as it looks like the two objects, the walls and the shield, are clipping through each other.

To correct this, I would say you could so something like, make the dome shields blanket the area down to the tops of the Air shutters above the walls. That way the shield goes out from the big spire at the top of the amp station, and goes into those Air covers. It would mean the shields look a little lumpy maybe, but I think it would look better than they do now.

And yes, Daily reminder: We need dome shield generators.
  4. [HH]Mered4

Just wondering, but what problem is SOE trying to fix with domeshields?
    I hope they realize that this concept of trying to fix something that isn't broken has crashed SPACE SHUTTLES, with a million moving parts. A MMOFPS is much less complex.

And don't tell me infantry combat is broken with vehicles. It is a combined arms game. Play the combined arms, or go home.

They have added walls as a patchjob for poor base design. Now this. Where does it end?

Hopefully with a full redesign of every base on Auraxis, instead of this bullcrap that causes more problems than it solves.
  5. notyourbuddy

Apparently those mean ole Liberators and ESFs that would intentionally look for "Enemies Detected" at obscure remote outposts where anti-air was likely to be non-existent so they could farm warrants drastic dome-shield solutions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I think these domes are going to cause more problems then they are going to fix. Can't wait for the cheesy dogfights as one ESF continually goes in and out of the dome to f--- with the other guy's hit detection. Or some liberator with nanite auto-repair finds a way to abuse the dome to his advantage.
  6. Ash87

The domeshields are there to help air.

No, I know what they said on FNO, but the reason that the domeshields are being put in place, is to help Air. In the near future it will be to help Infantry, as air continues to get more numerous.

This is why people have said they need generators.
  7. Anghammarad

This also helps enemy armor/infantry that's under the dome. No more getting blown to bits from people on the top floor (tech plants).
  8. OldMaster80

While I love the reason why they added the domeshields (more infantry combat!) I have to agree on this. The reason why they added domeshields instead of just changing bases layout is probably because buildings and bases structure have a big negative impact on performance. Many objects to render = even less fps than we have today. Since they can't seem to fix their enging to run decently, they have to apply this "bandage solution".
  9. Gary

Who puts a strategic military tower in a position that is surrounded by 3 hills and only has 1 entrance or exit....

Since any faction can pass through the shield you can easily do the same and prevent the auto repair.
  10. [HH]Mered4

Fixing the base design doesn't need to involve ADDING more cool features (though I would love that, it just isnt happening as you mentioned). You could spend a day brainstorming over Esamir and reevaluate all the positions of the bases. For example, put Glacier Station's tower on TOP of one of the hills, so it has some oversight of the bridge like it is meant to have.

Little changes like that that benefit defenders will improve the metagame, forcing people to THINK about what they are doing instead of just zerging a continent.

Current base design favors superior numbers IN THE FIELD. By the time base battles move to the actual bases, the battle is already over. Infantry just swarm the enemy base, with armor picking off stragglers and bombarding the base for good measure.

Base design needs to favor STRATEGIC DEFENSE, aka holding the high ground in your tower and using it to secure the area around it.(There are many other possible strategies besides this; I'm just making n example here). Glacier station is quite spread out now, for example, but, unlike the crown, it is not in a highly defensible position. Which makes the design worthless to defenders, unless the tower were placed on one of the hills next to point [C[ and C was moved to where the tower is now.
    • Up x 1
  11. AxisO7

Personally, I'm hoping they go in without generators for one update, then put in generators in the following update. Let's see how both actually play out over the course of two weeks each.
    • Up x 3
  12. OldMaster80

I absolutely agree on this but as far as I can remember Esamir lattice implementation also concerns a huge bases redesign adding more protective elements like trees, rocks, and huge walls. The biggest problem with continent imho still remain that it's relative flat, providing very little tactical elements between bases.
  13. [HH]Mered4

True. But those are, again, patchjobs for bad base design.

Little tactical elements? Bob n weave, bob n weave. :)

Esamir is unique in that it forces small platoons to use aircraft with prejudice, or else be ripped apart on open ground by air and ground forces that are sitting comfortably behind their hills and walls. I like it, personally. More intelligent people usually play on Esamir than Indar, I have found
  14. Eyeklops

Smartest post in the thread so far.
  15. LibertyRevolution

Not anymore...
    Now they are like spawn room shields, they can fly out and shoot out, and the attackers cannot...
    Amp stations will now be a no fly zone, even after the turrets are down..
    Burster maxes can shoot through and you cant shoot back.

New video of these shields from the other thread:
  16. Darkard

Both the Domes and any potential Gens are all a complete waste of time, put in to fix the fact that they made ****** wide open bases that encourage infantry farming from all directions.

You put Gens on those domes and they are either going to be outside the main facility, whereby they will get destroyed as soon as the fighting starts (just like every gate shield we have now) making them serve no purpose than to keep random lone wolfs away.
    Or they will be inside the base where they can be defended to the point where if you have lost the dome gen you have already lost the fight and any air support is moot.

When they made the bases they should have made them larger and with more "inside" space. Not the shanty towns we have now full of huts and shacks with no doors.
    • Up x 1
  17. ScrapyardBob

I'd put it at 5-10 minutes for a small outpost and more like 30-40 minutes for a large facility -- with the option to truck in more nanites from a friendly base.

It's that logistics strategy that we keep asking the developers to implement. Complete with collectors, generators (placed by engineers), and storage tanks, all of which can be destroyed / repaired. Want that forward sundy to support spawning 200 players in the space of 3 minutes? Then you'd better bring along engineers to setup generators plus have a supply sundy trucking in raw nanites to restock your forward sundy.
  18. Ash87

That looks like what is going to happen
  19. Blarg20011

*ahem* sig *ahem*
  20. OldMaster80

Oooooh come on that's total BULL**IT!