Developer Thread: Auto-Turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dargadon

Resupply necessity is terrible. With such low health turret should have infinite charges at least.
    • Up x 3
  2. volth

It dies instantly :(
    Tribes ascends turret have low hp but a high rate of fire so it still usefull.
  3. FateJH

Hm. What if they used the same trick as with the Ammo Pack and Spawn Beacon - a re-placement timer?
  4. Destroyer0370

To: The Developers...
    The turrets are feeble, get destroyed so quickly.

- Please make it that it both recharges for replacement and we can equip(refill) it at the weapons' console like we have now.
    - Need increase health or resistance to each different kind of weapon(explosive/small arms/EMP/etc.)
    - Perhaps give it a shield generator slot or a slot for auto repair so it is a bit self sustaining to guard an area (i.e. like a Max auto repair system and its qualities[1.5% repair rate when not taking damage after 5 seconds])
    - Variants of the turret would be nice i.e. grenade launcher/cannon(currently in the game)
    - In conjunction with the above(Variants); maybe faction specific projectiles (i.e Lasers or Gauss(Plasma) for Vanu/ Rail Gun for NC/ Auto Cannons(as some I have seen have suggested) for TR or something like that.

- It must also be Intelligent. It attacks the closest threat and more dangerous threat/individual that can do more the most damage to it in a said amount of time(i.e Rocket launcher Heavy) if there are two classes to choose from(beside it attacking it). Perhaps let the player setup it in a screen to prioritize what class to go after first when in this situation. i.e. a screen like the vehicle ("lock vehicle" screen)...when they have the turret in their hands.
    • Up x 3
  5. Crator

One thing I do want, an UI element telling me if my turret is still deployed...
    • Up x 1
  6. Problem Officer

Placeholder trash at the moment.
    Not a threat unless being silly, charging right up the front with a knife.
    To begin with, for any turret, greatly shorten targeting delay, remove standby beep (not engage beep).
    Smart target assignment, increase range.
    Allow turrets to see through cloak yet not reveal it. Double or triple targeting delay against cloak.
    • Up x 3
  7. dngray

I LOVE this update SOE nice work!

I was just experimenting with the auto-turrets and there are some much needed changes/additions needed in future patches.

First off, engineers need to know the health of their auto-turret which can be provided within the HUD once it is deployed. Also it would be useful for the engineer to know if the auto-turret is taking on damage or engaging enemies.

Another useful addition would be transparent 50m radius indicator so the engineer knows the optimal place to put the turret. While I was just in game, I had to guesstimate where 50m out was and got it wrong and found enemies shooting me and my turret while my turret sat there not shooting back.

How about the side-grade option for the turret to be armed with a rocket of some sort that would allow it deal more damage to armor or max's.

Things I discovered about the turret: They are extremely effective when doubled up or daisy chained with other auto-turrets. They are ideal for protecting sundies, capture points, and engaging enemies from inside a spawn room. The beep it makes when it detects an enemy is also very useful so you can use the auto-turret as another set of eyes while you guard another direction with your firearm. I was unable to figure out of the turret has a cool down while just in game. Does anyone know?

All and all, I love the idea. Nice work SOE!
  8. SuperTrooperWaterloo

AUTO-Turret, more like Babysit-Turrent.
    Damage is too weak to hold off 1 person and the health is too low to leave this thing alone for a few seconds. Its impossible to repair it against a single person shooting at it and was a wasted equipment slot (1x usable) if an HA uses his rocket launcher at it.

So in the end you have a 1x weak AI controled turret you cant leave alone.

There is just no reason to use this thing over the MANA turret.
  9. Cyrek

Too vulnerable to explosives, the best use I've found is multiple engineers saturating a room with these; Need to resupply makes a nearby deployed sunderer or a infantry console a necessity.
  10. ScrapyardBob

#1 - Needs to fire immediately upon detection
    #2 - Needs to do about 25-30% more damage
    #3 - Remove the beeping or make it only once every 120 seconds
    #4 - Shrink the model by 1/3
    #5 - Needs more resistance to small arms fire

Lastly, change all engineer turrets to require re-supply before you can put another down. (Which would help with a lot of the complaints about the AV mana turret.)
    • Up x 3
  11. MiniSentrygun

I don't mind its damage or health, just give it a regeneration timer.
    It's getting really frustrating to go to spawn every two minutes just to grab a new one, usually because my team is pushing and my turret has become useless.

For those who worry about turret spam, this turret is **** at direct combat. It has comical aiming speed and a laugh inducing dps.
    Spamming this will get to nowhere, and will still need tactical placement to be at least usable.

Please SOE, plz take this aggravating task of resupplying off of engineers and make the turret at least usable.
  12. JobiWan

I've not seen many used in the few days since released, but they do seem a waste of certs. I was playing infil last night and encountered a turret 'protecting' a capture point. I lobbed an EMP grenade at it, casually walked up to it and hit it 3 times with my knife and it was gone.

The only use I see for them is for a distraction to get enemies to look at them while the owner is hiding in wait.
  13. CMDante

These things are great and funny and all, but they could probably use some lovin' to make them better. Little bit more damage, lil bit tougher, less dorky looking maybe?

Oh and not having to resupply after every one, that's not cool SOE, not cool at all.
    • Up x 1
  14. RaTzo

Be careful what you ask for Infantry.

Soon these turrets will be like lockons, only they will target YOU for a change. #Enjoy
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

will it be possible to customize the appearance of an autoturret a bit more in the future? like apply camo to it, slap a decal on it or change its audio/bleep to something more personalized
    • Up x 3
  16. Goretzu

Still needs the lock-on and fire protocols sorting out, it doesn't fire remotely immediately and need to fire something much closer too it (and still sometimes doesn't fire at all).

Probably needs either a DPS buff or a toughness buff - at the moment they just don't have a real role without some sort of buff.

And the having to go back to a terminal to resupply it is horrible, either it needs to like the other turrets or you need to be able to carry 2 or 3 of them.
  17. Atis

Turret should stay after changing class or deploying MANA, like mines.
    • Up x 2
  18. FieldMarshall

I think alot of the issues would go away if it turned faster and started shooting immediately after seeing an enemy in range. (just like Planetside 1)
    It would be an indirect buff to damage.

Also, reduce its size please. Not only is it too large (imho), but its size doesent match its firepower at all.
    This would also indirectly buff its survivability.
    • Up x 2
  19. GImofoJoe

According to testing, it's dies by half a clip of an AR. 100 dmg at 10m, 50 dmg at 50m. 400 rpm bursts. Requires resupply.
    Total weak sauce, not worth the $7.....
  20. Goretzu

Yes, but I think this is no bad thing in a way (and may be unchangeable anyway), as it stops/reduces some of the more cheesey placement.,,,,, and would still make a decent downside if they buffed it a bit.