[BUG] Complete Reaver-gun breakdown: It's worse than we thought

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sdfasdfa, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Pixelshader

I'm going to start consciously exploiting this. I've probably done it before several times without even knowing, I do press the descend button in hover dogfights.

L O L
  2. WitcherKing

Nicely done, OP. Always enjoy these kinds of well-constructed threads. As a regular Reaver pilot, I hope someone at SOE takes a look.
    • Up x 1
  3. XRIST0

Fix the pilot , not the aircraft .
  4. Marked4Death

I just jumped in a reaver and true, the bullets do start at the gun muzzle (tested against a wall). The bullets do hit higher up (closer to the corsshair) as you move away. Once you are about 5m away, the bullets are hitting dead on where the crosshair is.
    I then tested at range at the mountains all around the esamir WG, and at those ranges the gun has some COF (like most weapons) but the bullets never travelled above the crosshair. Interestingly there was no real drop at those ranges. Makes sense for a high velocity projectile I guess.
    As best I can the bullet travel is like this:
    0,5,5+, ------ pretty dam far>
    _/*****************************************
    So there is no magic compensation factor involved and no impossible shots
    (as far as i can tell the OP was saying there was some compensating factor that was accurate at some range, then overcomped further out.)
  5. Pixelshader

It's true what you say, a good pilot can still do work in his reaver.

But don't you think this issue crosses a line? The reaver has a long list of what you could call minor peeves that aren't worth developer's precious time. But isn't this something else?

Is it tolerable to be 100% literally unable to hit a target because of no fault of your own, even if it very rarely happens?
  6. Xae

Basically someone just figured out that "Bullet Drop" + "Infinite Point of Convergnce" means the bullets are always low.

As they are with every other gun in the game with bullet drop.

I'm not sure how much being off by couple more feet matters when half the time you're shooting at target 300+ feet away. The angular difference is still in the CoF.
  7. Ouch Electric

You are assuming the pilot needs fixing. I went 31-1 earlier tonight, because I have learned not to aim with the sight, but to aim by feel. That means the sight works great, right? There's nothing wrong, and SOE is just rolling their eyes at us.

If that's the case, they should remove the reticule?
    • Up x 4
  8. Revanmug

Don't waste your breath. It's pretty clear he isn't interest in the discussion. I'm just waiting for him to say Reaver have more armor and that make up for it or something stupid like that.
    • Up x 1
  9. snu

<--- over 10k kills in reaver alone, 19k total
    <--- inb4 "be better as a pilot
    <--- top nc on helios server

the MOST ANNOYING part is when you get engaged in high-speed CQC against another ESF, the path of the projectile being shot from a reaver is pretty much offscreen by about 15-30 degrees.

am i even hitting them? yes, but can i see them? no.

160 pixels from POV is kind of harsh... how are we supposed to hit things when we are enjoying our "superior afterburning"?

even after being the worst in performance in pitch/yaw/roll, i still cannot understand why i still cant see what im shooting at and expect to hit anything since the gun is just so damn low compared to what you are actually looking at.

having to actually put the enemy ESF OUT OF VIEW of my cockpit in order to shoot ahead of them far enough to actually hit.

maybe put the gun at 80 pixels instead? its still twice as low as a mossie, probably 4-8 times lower than a scythe, but seriously, what is the design purpose of putting a gun on a 35 pixel-long swivel, on the end of a stick, below the nose of the reaver.
    • Up x 5
  10. Phazaar

Obvious troll is obvious.

You cannot fix an impossible shot that (as some smart TR/VS pilots above have already stated) will start to get exploited soon.

If you're not trolling, I'm assuming it's because you can't comprehend the maths that is being explained to you here. I think perhaps the OP is confusing you with all of the variables, so I'm going to try it in words.

If your target is within a certain distance, and descending at their standard speed, and behind them there is nothing but sky, your crosshair should you try to lead the target (by firing on the sky below them) changes the angle your bullets will fire at. The problem is, the speed they are travelling and the convergence on infinity (the sky) means you cannot hit them with these bullets, because you would need to lead them far less than the minimum amount you're able to with your bullets converging on infinity. This therefore necessitates that you lead the target with your crosshair on the enemy plane itself, however the enemy plane is descending, and your bullets are now firing to converge on the location the plane WAS at, meaning they will now always miss the target.

If that doesn't make sense, someone else will have to try, as I'm a little high for this level of discussion.

To clarify as best as I can for some of the other 'this can't have that much of an effect' guys, THIS EFFECT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BULLET DROP OR COF. It is such a drastic effect that they do not even begin to negate this, and is an effect drastically amplified by the Reaver's ridiculous gun offset.

Any amount of auto-convergence (take the much lower amounts necessary on the mossie/scythe, for example), may well also produce certain shots that are impossible, but the 4x greater offset of the reaver's gun means the bounds of the conditions producing 'impossible shots' are MUCH larger.

I would like this to be fixed on all craft ultimately, however for the Reaver this is beyond gamebreaking in its current state.
    • Up x 2
  11. Drsexxytime

You're arguing with someone who obviously sees and issue since the proof is in front of them, yet they try to use one of two pre-baked responses:

1. I get killed by them just fine! (lawls)
    2. I would trade "X" with "Y" any day of the week if I could (though would never happen so I'll say this lawls)

Or you'll get the person who says they are gods with said thing and they roll people, the others just need to L2P.

The evidence is right there. Yeah sure you can compensate after you train yourself, but it's still annoying that you have to deal with this with a weapon/craft that has no real advantage. It's kind of like the Gauss Saw, which is ok once learned and certed out, but it is awful to start with in a learning curve.

But not to mention the Reaver's shape disadvantage as well making it an easier target. The Reaver needs some major-major love in characteristics and/or shape.
    • Up x 1
  12. Skadi

Do you have any idea how old that video is? That's back when NC still had blue tracers and he NC and VS didn't know who was shooting who
  13. Verdant

I don't fly much, but I have felt a very strong affect from this in VEHICLES. especially with longer ranged shots.

I honestly wish there was an option to turn off weapon convergence, Let my gun fire strait, even if it will hit 2m to the right and 1m up from where I am shooting, I CAN ACCOUNT FOR THAT. as it is I have to try and guess what distance the gun will magically align itself for.

The most TELLING situation this happens in, is if you are shooting at a vehicle, on top of a hill, with a mountain in the background. depending on which "Hill" you are pointing at (foreground or background) your shot can easily deviate by several tank lengths, its ridiculous! Let me turn it off and just let me shoot in the exact same direction I am pointing in, even if the projectile is "offset".
    • Up x 2
  14. JP_Russell

So just to be clear, as it took me a while to be sure I understood everything you were describing and I imagine others may read your complicated OP and not fully understand the problem... You're saying that the gun is actually automatically changing it's point of convergence with the center of the reticule (that is, the angle at which bullets come out of the gun) depending on how close the object or surface is that your reticule is pointing at? I was under the impression from your previous topic that the issue was just the fact that the larger offset meant a larger angle to reach the same point of convergence with the center of the reticule compared to the other ESF's, meaning where you had to aim to get the bullets to hit at different ranges varied more on the Reaver.

But you're saying that on top of this, the game changes the point of convergence depending on the distance to whatever you're pointing at, such that if a target is moving toward the bottom of your screen (where your gun is positioned) at the appropriate speed for how far they are from you, you can't hit them because the distance you would normally need to lead them by with the offset places your reticule directly over their frame instead of above it, causing the point of convergence to be adjusted to precisely their distance from you and making you miss because you would now need to lead below them with the adjusted angle that the bullets are firing out at. Am I reading that correctly?

If so, that really is worse than I thought.
    • Up x 1
  15. Pixelshader

Wow, if this happens to other vehicles as well it might actually have a chance at gaining SOE's attention..
  16. Verdant

Ever wonder why its so tricky to shoot infantry from point blank?

if you aim directly at them, the shot will hit a completely different location then if you are 1pixel to the left of them.

off topic tangent - actually, Every weapon in this game has weapon convergence. its happening because the bullets are ACTUALLY coming out of our guns. Most other games (CoD, Halo, CS, ect) don't fire bullets from the guns, they fire the bullets from the center of the camera. so in those other ganes, you are literally shooting bullets out of your FACE. This was actually the reason headshots where created in the first place. when the first FPSs came out, people could take cover so only their face could shot, and still shoot, it was a ridiculous advantage to be in cover... tillt hey added headshots.
  17. XRIST0

Im not a troll thankyou very much , there is nothing wrong with the reaver besides what is shown in the video .

Pilot > Aircraft .. simple as that

You guys sit there and nit pick it to death , write essays and do math formula's ? seriously , just play the game and get over it .
  18. An Hero

Lol, so we fly a 1942 designed, anti matter powered aircraft?

That makes alot of sense.
  19. nella

Yeah, balance is such a lame thing. Who needs it? We should nerf the mosquitos speed down to 50 and half its damage, because a good pilot will win against a bad pilot anyways.

Go away.
    • Up x 2
  20. Marked4Death

U guys still on about some mythical convergence? the bullets are all straight past 5 metres