[BUG] Complete Reaver-gun breakdown: It's worse than we thought

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sdfasdfa, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rognik

You completely misunderstood the thread. The fact that the bullets go right to the crosshair is what causes the problem. When you're shooting directly at something, the bullets go on the crosshair. But as soon as you need to lead the target, you're aiming at the sky, and suddenly your bullets go about five feet below the crosshair, parallel to your line of sight. It makes dogfights incredibly weird because when you shoot at a stationary fighter, you aim right at them, but as soon as they start moving, you need to suddenly aim up, even if they aren't moving up. And as the diagram shows, sometimes you might not be able to hit them at all... at other times, you can hit them by either aiming at them or aiming above them.

Honestly I don't know why I'm even bothering... since you actually want to experiment yourself, here's one for you to try. Shoot at the top of an obstacle (like a warp gate pylon base or a rock). Watch your bullets hit the thing exactly where your crosshair is. Now aim several feet above the thing, so your crosshair is pointing at the sky, and shoot. Watch as your bullets hit the exact same spot again even though you aren't aiming at it.

As for the Reaver doing more damage... I can't find info about this but having flown both it hardly seems like it. The AA rotary guns seem to be the exact same thing. The default gun on the Reaver is slower and might be more powerful, but when you're dogfighting, rate of fire is much more important because it allows you to use the tracers to line up your shots much better.
    • Up x 1
  2. Marked4Death

3. mina5

i tested and i know what you mean . but those wild theories about gun placement on reaver is bs , you got wrong target there .
    its about how slow the gun responses to your crosshair movement .... that's why it seems its the gun placement (it seem to hit below the crosshair while flying or other ways moving ) but that's not because gun placement , its because gun responses too slowly to your crosshair movement .
    if that weren't the case then i would hit below crosshair even when im hovering and shooting stedy objects .
  4. RocketKhruschev

The really stupid thing about that gun is that it's clearly based on the M230 chain gun on the Apache...

[IMG]

But it's totally fixed in one direction.

If the Reaver had a moving anti-armor/anti-infantry machine gun in the front like the Apache and maybe even a weapons system operator/radar operator, then it might actually have something special the other ESF don't have.
    • Up x 2
  5. sdfasdfa

Quickie from the laptop:
    Anytime you're only drawing one target you're not quite there yet. Simply draw a Reaver, with two parallel (and preferably horizontal) lines exiting it. Note that these should be about the height of one of your mockup ESFs apart, that's roughly how big the offset is. Now draw a target called the 'present target or something that connects midway along it's vertical axis to the line representing the Reaver's line of sight (and with it, the crosshair).

Now draw another target, call it the future target, where the target is now centered on the stream exiting parallel to the viewport. This will naturally be below the present target and overlap somewhat (the overlap is fine, remember they're at two different times). What you've now described is perfect aim with the offset. But now you add what actually happens: Draw a new line from the Reaver's gun origin to where the line of sight intersects the present target and that's where the gun really aims. From there you can see, it's impossible to hit the future target: Aim above on the present target and you miss the future target by that much. Aim below, same deal. The offset only has to be about half the vertical size of an ESF for this to comfortably always be true - it's significantly more than that.

This is just one possible situations, but by far the easiest to explain.

(Yeah yeah, scan/draw my own thing. I'll get there)
    • Up x 1
  6. Phazaar

Bump for the most pressing issue the game faces today ;)

[Except the complete idiocy of all TR fools]
  7. VethEU

8. Skadi

The video posted in the OP fails to showcase this on the other aircraft, if you take the mossy or scythe and try to fire into the spawn room it will do the same thing, that issue is universal not reaver exclusive.
  9. Phichi

Awesome, then you have no problem with it being fixed.
  10. soeguud

can we get guns that look more substantial for ESFs? All infantry weapons are nearly the same length as the height of the player. And then we get these piddly little things for the planes ...
  11. Antivide

If you took the time to read the entirety of the thread you'd realize this it's exacerbated while moving in a Reaver.

The other two aren't nearly as affected while moving.
    • Up x 2
  12. Skadi

No, trust me i dont, i was just making it aware to everyone that this isnt reaver exclusive and this is a BIGGER problem than it appears
    • Up x 1
  13. sdfasdfa

It's literally four times bigger on the Reaver than any other ESF. The pencil scans turned out more cluttered than I'd hoped, so I'm just doing crude versions in paint right now of what the guy on page 5 wanted. But in the meantime, since it's such a simple problem, here is what you're observing:
    [IMG]

Edit: I genuinely hope these help. Working on the bigger one.
    • Up x 2
  14. Skadi

I learned this is happening on tanks as well, my prowlers cannon shot flew out of the barrel to the left and hit a friendly infantry because the shot converged on him, it made absolutely no sense why it would fly at him.
    • Up x 1
  15. Scam2play

Lol, SOE is going to have their hands full with this one, flawed design...

Oh man, this is just rich.
  16. sdfasdfa

Alright, here's the mockup. Keep in mind this is just the easiest to illustrate situation where the sheer size of the Reaver's offset creates a problem. Since pitch is the main axis of manuevering (especially pitchdown being the ideal chase axis), it's actually very, very easy to show realistic scenarios where the Reaver's gun prevents firing. But those are more complicated and way messier, which is why I chose the head-on fight in which the Reaver intermittently can't shoot back as the prime example.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. Marked4Death

Hi sdfasdfa,
    I thought I would enhance the graphics a bit. Please find below where I have added an image of the mozzie, firstly perfectly aligning with the angle of the "impossible zone" and then, as often encountered, flying at an inconvenient angle.

Unfortunately I ran into some issues with the scaling. The reaver and the mozzie do not look like they are scaled 1:1 to me. In fact when scaled 1:1 only about 25% of the mozzie fell into this impossible zone, meaning aiming on the other 75% of the model landed hits. What's even weirder is if you aimed 25% too high, you could still hit the mozzie.

Can you help a brother out here?
    [IMG]
  18. mina5

NO NO NO !!! dont you guys get it !!! its not gun position its bullet travel time.
    Bullet travel time is faster on moss and scythe , reaver has slow bullet traveltime and that gives you impresson about "wrong" gun position ......
  19. Kize

If SOE has not responded by now they probably don't care or they realize the problem is drastic enough to tie up too many resources to fix so they will ignore it until it becomes a 30 page thread. Personally I am a dedicated nc pilot and feel the drag of this plus our sheer size and manage to live most of the time somehow... If any of the Reaver issues are fixed every other empire will really be hurting on our server because they simply depend on an unequal field.
  20. Vardr

Just remove auto adjusting convergence and set it to a certain range.