[BUG] Complete Reaver-gun breakdown: It's worse than we thought

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sdfasdfa, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Antivide

It should be a primary focus of the balance patches, since the Prowler got a major buff the Reaver needs one as well.
    • Up x 1
  2. Bluebullet

Sorry if this was said already but what most people are missing in comparing this to modern jet fighters is the extreme difference in engagement distance thus making it an invalid comparision.
  3. Xae

It is one more baseless whining point. The bullets start 2 feet lower. On a vehicle with multiple hundred meter engagement ranges this matters exactly 0.
  4. Bluebullet

no 6 feet lower and the point of thread is short range engagements which many of the weapons are made for.
  5. Xae

It is 2 feet lower than other guns. The other guns are 3-4 feet below the cockpit. The Reavers is ~6ft.

This guy has been shopping this crap at every planetside related forum for a while, most of the time people laugh him off until he rages and get banned.
  6. Bluebullet

No, no everything else aside simply looking at the models in-game the gun on the Reaver is at least 3(more like 4) times lower than the others not 1.5-2.
  7. ISpyWithMyLittleEye

Xae , don't be an idiot. A difference of 2 feet makes a major difference when you're dogfighting someone up close. It's extremely apparent when you have to literally aim OUTSIDE your ******* reticule and screen (excluding people who are moving in a straight line , try landing your shots on someone banking) just to land your shots on someone who is moving about 6 to 7 feet away from you. Yes that includes leading your shot.

Try flying the Reaver for at least 40 hours. You will definitely notice the problem.
    • Up x 2
  8. NovaAustralis

Yeah, I've learnt to ignore the crosshairs and watch the shots, but this still means my first few rounds are wasted...
  9. sdfasdfa

Feel free to try and prove the first part, otherwise I suggest you stick to mashing report in your SomethingAwful hugbox because apparently geometry is an NC lie.

(The person who agrees with you is Kewpuh, which is the universal sign that you are very wrong)

I'm guessing this guy is just lying too:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/17xxoz/soe_please_allow_me_to_disable_the_aim_assist/
    • Up x 2
  10. ThundaHawkPS

You're pretty wrong. I'll chalk that up to you being misinformed and inexperienced.
  11. Excellentz

The weekly reaver discussion must be dug back up! When will we get some word on hit boxes and some of the things mentioned here....? Until then I guess just watch me own the skies with no A2AM in my reaver

Reaver Kill Montage 4 No A2AM Switching to Guns - Excellentz
    • Up x 1
  12. warmachine1

Just give each gun autoconvergence module as a cert!
    We already have to upgrade our LMGs to be compettitive so another 100 certs wont hurt.
  13. PS2Freak

bump.

[OT on]

NC weapons got no dedicated NC weapons and balance developer love (it feels like it). I feel really no love... we start with infantry weapons and end with air - nc is "hard mode".

I ASK PS2 Developer team to hire someone NC dedicated, who knows of all this discrepancy in NC weapons design. i have impression there are only TR and VS biased developers who do (not) good work for nc

[OT off]
  14. Jivesauce

This would be true if the gun mount was the only difference, but that's not the case. The point of view of the Reaver is also much higher than the other two ESFs, so you have to add those differences to get the total. It's much more than 2 feet and certainly significant. More importantly, I don't see why people are arguing so fervently against this. If it doesn't make any difference why would it bother anyone at all if they change it?
    • Up x 1
  15. SolLeks

because they like not getting shot down ^_^
  16. Ouch Electric

Dear Sir,

You are completely wrong.

Best regards,
    Facts and Logic

Huh, why do they argue against it if it makes no difference?

The Reaver hitbox makes no difference either, so why not give the reaver the smallest hitbox. Manuevering advantage and speed don't matter either, so let's give the Reaver the best of those as well.

It all makes perfectly good sense to me since all these people are crapping on this thread, why not give all the good ESF aspects to the pilots who will appreciate it (Reaver pilots apparently).

Actually I have another theory. I think all of the people coming in and railing against a Reaver fix don't want a level playing field. Obviously I have no proof of this theory, other than the fact that some Scythe and Mosquito pilots are campaigning here against the Reaver enjoying the same advantages that they already do.
  17. Leo Di Caprio

That shouldn't even be the case, imbalance kills videogames, if they are playing favorites, they have no future as developers.

What happens in reality is that the fix for this problem is extremely hard, lol, this is why you won't see it fixed for a while.
    • Up x 1
  18. sdfasdfa

It's not even a matter of balance, it's a matter of being unfun to play - an artificial skill limit, where no matter what you won't hit sometimes while equivalent ESFs can. It goes against the opposite of what makes playing FPSes any fun. It would be possible to balance the Reaver with it's current gun and profile size, but it wouldn't be fun for the people fighting it or the people flying it.

I've stopped playing PlanetSide for the most part, entirely because this sort of entirely oblivious approach to the finesse that makes shooters interesting makes this one very dull (and this is not the only such case in PlanetSide 2, it's littered with them - most are just a bit more involved to talk about and much less likely to ever change). I want to like it very badly, but I can't if the sort of issues that make the top of the list in actual shooters are mostly laughed at here. Doing without prizemoney or even any objective metric of asskickery is an expected tradeoff for the large scale - but the insistence on bad controls (ADS, now vehicle zoom, vehicles in general) and unnecessary mechanics that make especially the large scale bits boring, well that takes the fun out of it.

Edit: And yeah, when I play these days, I fly a Scythe. Not out of a concern for power, but because being able to 180 and 1-mag fools is kind of why this game is fun. Worrying about a dumb gun mount, not so much.

Edit 2: Also the fix to this is extremely easy, not sure what you'd be worried about. You move a few origins around, a clipped-off gun comes out the current nose, you're done. You can worry about having guns shoot permanently parallel or making it an option later.
  19. Antivide

The longer I play this game the more it feels like it is the case. Honestly at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the balance team intentionally shafted everything NC (except the Beastgurad) on purpose.

It's that bad.
  20. Grommel

On the plus-side this made the reaver rotary so bad with the GU2 changes that the airhammer is now at least on level - if not better - for dogfighting other esf with the added benefits of casual lib/gal/infantry-shredding.

Seriously cert into the ammo per mag upgrades for the AH and let the vortek collect dust untill the devs fix this.