Buff to Rear Tank Armor --> Goodbye ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhilDun, May 2, 2013.

1. Phrygen

score per minute is meaningless.
    I afk a lot.

Nor did i say k/d was relevant.

SPM is only relevant if you want it to be relevant. in fact any stat is only relevant if you want it to be.
    If it really matters to you however, when i'm actually playing i average around 25-30,000 score per hour, which is around 450-500 score per minute.

i also enjoy setting elaborate claymore traps in bases that are about to fall while i study, and wait for the effect.

you being bothered by it isn't my concern.
  2. laovniux

Rofl at the people who are saying there is nothing a tank can do against an esf getting his a$$ cmon people have you ever heard of turning? Press A or D and esf cant hower your a$$ at that speed and if it can there is something sincerely wrong with you especially when you can 1 hit kill an esf with your tank round. And yea whatever ignore all the AA maxes on the harassers with walkers on top... It is just sad how you tank pilots cry about it... The only easy target for an ESF was a tank but now but from a tank perspective you can feel pretty safe against almost everything... To people who are defending tanks: please tell me what can kill you fast these days? Tank mines? You have to be ******* blind to drive over 1 now... Rockets? Yea not any more armor buff. ESF? You have a big diaper now. Libs? Gawd dont make me laugh... Turets? Hide behind a rock... Now the ESF point of view: a single guy with a burster: Strafe run don't look back; 10 random class infantry looking at you: dead. Lock on: wall? Tree? Rock? Flare? NO... dead... I think striker deserves its own section: Get locked on with 80% health - pray that its not a striker. (Not to mention that you can't even tell HOW MANY people are locking on to you). Vanguard: mhm hes not looking at me OK... **** shield BUT STILL! **** hes turning! But STILL! 1 hit ko from behind.... There were 2... 1 of the most useless nerfs ever... I'm not even mentioning the skill required to fly in comparison to what you need to just drive around in a tank... I think some 1 while making this update conveniently forgot to check the number of pilots vs the number of tank drivers. They just looked at the average K: D ratio for air vs ground. The ESF:Tank ratio is around 1:10 subtract the skill required to fly the things to look out for and I don't have a faking idea where this buff came from...
  3. Tekuila

How do you figure? They re VTOL.
  4. Primarkka

You know what's so frustrating about getting ESF to shoot you in two seconds? The fact that you've driven for ten minutes just to die in 2 seconds. It is not fun. The ESF should be MUCH harder to fly just so it counters the ease of movement around the map.
    Not to mention, it should be all BnZ tactics instead of hovering to make it interesting.
  5. EliteEskimo

There are a good deal of very skilled lib teams on Mattherson, they do this awesome circle strafe maneuver that makes them very hard to shoot. I'm almost positive liberators will be back in medium sized battles once AA Maxes get a ranged nerf. I personally think liberator spam ruins good battles, however I think medium to highly skilled liberator teams deserve real role on medium-large battles.
    • Up x 2
  6. MilitiaMan

Can't wait to get home and snipe me some lolpods in my new and improved AP VG ;D
  7. NoctD

I hear you - there was a time when Libs just wiped the ground and there wasn't even a need for the Dalton to exist on them... the Zephyr was the equal of orbital strikes. Those circle strafing Libs are quite the sight and piloting to see. Mattherson has good pilots, better than the average on other servers and I've been on many servers... but it also has by far the highest amount of ground AA/flak too. Unfortunately we have a bit of a shortage on the TR side with pilots though... lots of infantry TR players.
  8. EliteEskimo

I love Mattherson TR, we have a lot of excellent Outfits. Between TE with Shock and Awe tactics, AOD helping bring direction to the larger battles for the pubs and smaller outfits like mine, BWC for the highly organized militaristic tactical assaults, and all the other big outfits like HNYB and 903 we pack quite a punch despite being out-numbed constantly. TR does have the fewest great ESF pilots with most being in BWC's Task Force Dragon and few in TE I believe. I think the VS have most High BR ESF pilots, and then the NC have a good deal too with a few select gems like ThundaHawk putting fear into every machine on the battlefield.

I will say this though, we have the best infantry zergs and infantry coordinated assaults and defenses, and we have a lot of skilled tankers. :cool:
    • Up x 1
  9. ThundaHawkPS

That video is garbage.

The Gunner could have Q spotted the Scythe for his Driver or warned him "incoming Scythe rear" over coms.

The Driver could have used his ears to hear the loud SCREEEECHING engines of the Scythe or been warned by his Gunner or surrounding teammates about the Scythe. The Driver could have turned on his vanguard shield, reversed, pivoted, could have done plenty of things to prevent dying in 1 pod salvo.

The Driver and Gunner of the tank in that video had ample opportunity to avoid dying to the pod salvo.
    They played badly and died for it.

Time to nerf.

• Up x 1
  10. Shellana

Usually with AA, I am scaring away the good pilots, and killing the stupid ones. To get kills on decent pilots, I usually need a friendly ESF to chase them down and get the kill.

The same is true with vehicles. In an even tank fight, a lot of enemy tanks will back up out of LOS/range and repair. ESFs are going to be the best thing for hunting down the wounded.

Esf are the best thing in the game for hunting down wounded vehicles and finishing them off.
  11. treeHamster

F*ck this. You guys are whining about rocketpods and are COMPLETELY forgetting about the regular rocket launchers. The default dumbfire launcher now takes 4 rockets to kill an MBT from the rear. WT*F?
  12. Egg99

This buff was needed. It's that simple.

Ignoring every other imbalance/OP issue in this game that people constantly complain about, it boils down to this:

A vehicle having the ability to destroy another vehicle before it literally has any time to react/move/defend itself was wrong. It shouldn't have been happening from the beginning, because nothing else in this game allowed instagibbing of a vehicle and rocketpods should've been no exception. (Tank Mines were a much-debated issue, but they had a wealth of limitations and disadvantages; rocketpods had virtually none.)

Now MBTs actually have a very slim chance of being able to survive - whereas they had absolutely no chance before if they were hit in the rear. Not only is this now balanced, but it's also fair. No one intelligent asked for tanks to be able to counter an ESF with rocketpods, but they did ask to not get instagibbed unceremoniously. I don't see any problem with that whatsoever.

Apparently neither do the devs. Kudos to them for making the right change.
  13. Shockwave44

Could have been worse.
  14. treeHamster

You're right, they could have made it so you can't kill it if you miss a rocket or the tank were to move....oh nevermind that's exactly what they did.

Not counting ESF's, if you're stupid enough to drive into infantry and get your backside hit or not pay attention around you as some infantry takes the time to sneak around you, it's your own d@mned fault. Tanks are already too easy to pull and solo in. Making them paper mache was how you balanced them.
  15. Varben

How could anyone have looked at the rocket pod situation and went "Yep this is a balanced scenario." You guys are nuts. Get in anything else that isn't a fighter and realize how absurd they were.
  16. Bolticus

It's a miracle SOE still lets us kill them with one clip.
    :p
  17. Doodles89

It's almost as if the people complaining about getting rocket podded in a tank:

A. have never realized how F**King hard it is to even get within 500m of the ground with all the AA and lockons and other ESFs

B. Were sitting still, alone, reigning death onto things too far to kill them.

C. didn't know that turning their tank 40 degrees in either direction will negate rear shot, so they can get out and repair... as ESFs won't have a chance to hover with all the AA around, unless the tank was stupid, alone, and deserved to get killed by a hovering ESF.
  18. LonelyTerran

This
    I do what I can to make sure we pull enough AA so Air doesn't insta-gibb all our armor.
  19. monk1junk1

I'm pretty sure one of the ideas in this patch was to discourage lone wolf ESFs and encourage ESF squadrons if you will. The solution to your dilemma is teamwork.
  20. McToast

Moin

Just killed some MBTs and lightnings in medium sized battles, even though my average fps dropped from ~35 to ~25 with GU08. Still possible to own with pods, but takes longer and is risky with enemy AA around. I think the changes are good.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
    • Up x 1