Buff to Rear Tank Armor --> Goodbye ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhilDun, May 2, 2013.

1. iccle

title should be 'buff to rear tank armor = goodbye to solo ESF players" team up, kill em good, i team up with a gunner to kill you good, now its even.
  2. iller

I think OP meant.... "Goodbye to noskill Lolpodders". Those of us can maneuver multiple fly-overs and aim while doing it... were having no issues gunning Tanks down with our Primaries (especially those overconfident Magrider jockies). This change doesn't affect us barely at all.
    • Up x 4
  3. ROCKFIISH

That's usually the fun part, the rest is just for certs.
  4. PhilDun

Or you're playing a server with low population. Is that the case?
  5. iller

If by that you mean NOT ALWAYS trying to fly straight over the biggest Infantry Zergs on Indar....

Then you'd be correct b/c usually all the pieces of flare on that many people causes my winXP Memory alloc to go over 1.5 gb and then the game crashes.
  6. NietCheese

WRONG.

You had the fastest vehicle in the game killing the slowest vehicle in 1.5 seconds.
    So fast that the tank pilot couldn't even react usually. All of you tired arguments are a joke. The tanker should have been more aware?

The ESF is traveling over 300km/hour he could zoom up from anywhere at anytime, the tank can't magically watch front and back.

The tank anti-air guns kill an ESF in 4+ seconds at close range and if the gunner has 100% accuracy, the ESF can kill the tank in 1.5 seconds. The tank had literally 1 defense - trying to swing the main turret around in 1.5 seconds to pull off a difficult 1 shot.

The ESFs could get the kills even when the tank was surrounded by many other tanks and even skyguards. The speed of the kill was so quick, and they always have an escape mechanism.

It was a broken game mechanic.

You had it easy, you didn't have to use much skill to get those kills, it was quite simply broken. Now you have to use slightly more skill to get kills - LIKE THE REST OF US.
    • Up x 4
  7. NietCheese

You can still kill armor, you just need more passes. It should bring you backl to the real role of the ESF - Killing other ESFs, Liberators and Galaxies.

You weren't meant to be the best at killing EVERYTHING. Don't you get it yet? A fast moving small aircraft shouldn't have been the best tank killer, the best infantry killer, the best liberator killer, the best galaxy killer.

The Liberator is the anti-tank aircraft. Get up in the sky and keep the ESFs off your Lib, that's your job.

You had it far too easy for far too long. Now you will have to find some skill and play combined arms like the rest of us, no more soloing and killing tanks in 1.5 seconds.
    • Up x 4
  8. treeHamster

Then maybe tanks shouldn't be allowed to kill infantry anymore since they're already good at killing other vehicles. They shouldn't be allowed to be good at killing EVERYTHING (referencing Prowlerside 2).

P.S. ESF's are about as flimsy as a paper mache pinata. Their speed and maneuverability was balanced by the fact they have no armor or HP.
  9. Dudinatorman

Getting ezmoded in less than 3 seconds by a mobile tank assassin air unit that can fly anywhere is balanced. This buff to tanks was well needed and well deserved. Sorry but to say "You should be punished for not knowing that there's a ESF/air unit 5 miles above your head or 5 miles away from where you are at." There's a difference between having a weakness and having a cheap tactic (Hell I wouldn't even call this a tactic because it'll give even cheap tactics a bad name now) like rocket pods shooting down a heavy, HEAVY TANK in less than 3 seconds. The problem is that the tank pilot has VERY little time to react while the ESF that can take out a tank this fast is really BS regardless on which side you are on, oh and not to mention how fast the ESF can escape after assassinexploding the tank.
    • Up x 1
  10. K2k4

Rocket pods were OP and still are in a way. In an ESF you aren't restricted to where you can go, you can fly over mountains, you can gain cover behind anything, running with an organized group you can even find vulnerable and high priority targets and get to them with ease. Yes it will take more of your pods to kill a tank now, and it was all too easy before, but that doesn't mean you can't still do those things, that just means you'll have to hold down your mouse button and stay on target like anybody else in the game trying to kill something.
    • Up x 1
  11. NietCheese

Yeah cause tanks are great at killing Liberators and ESF. In fact when I think I want to kill a Liberator I pull a tank.

Grow up.
    • Up x 2
  12. EWarren

These debates shouldn't be "tanker vs flier". I do massive infantry killing in a tank vs what I do in an ESF, and ESFs (especially ace pilots on the server) are usually preoccupied with other ESFs (as they should) to bother me. The average fliers have so many targets to pick from, as well as the risk of hovering at one spot that by the end of the day, I rarely have problems with aircraft dive-bombing my rear armor.

Comments such as "Like the Rest of Us" implies the viewpoint is limited to the tank's perspective. In that case, my view is more objective and I can say with confidence that it doesn't take any less skill to fly (and survive from mundane things such as trees or canyon) than to drive a tank.
  13. Shockwave44

Then no one will drive them.

You're going about it backwards. They should keep it this way just make it much more difficult to pull tanks.

Simple.
  14. treeHamster

I'm fine with this. Increase the min timers to like 15 or 20 minutes and then make the resource cost like 500 for an MBT and 350 for a lightning. I just got done playing at HVAR on Mattherson and my GOD the tank spam was ridiculous. It was 8 times heavier and to be honest, entirely unnecessary. If tanks are going to be "tankish" then they need to require "tankish" amounts of resources.
  15. Halcyon

Good.
  16. Ultramarine

TL:DR
    Just my opinion, I think the liberators need more strength, they need to be scary, and that ESF's need to be good at bringing them down. So the ESF would primarily be for the purpose of air superiority, and keeping control of the skies including other ESF's.

Let's look at the name ESF, Empire specific FIGHTER. Fighter jets are optimized for mobility, and offense against other aircraft. A fighter jet can maybe carry 2-4 air to ground weapons, and is then entirely useless. It's not its job. Fighters kill bombers, other jets, and stationary artillery. Gunships and helicopters are used against infantry and tanks
  17. Egg99

I thought I conveyed my point pretty clearly, but you sir, deserve a beer.

People need to let this text sink in. I don't understand how anyone can even argue with it.
  18. Ghodere

Tanks, as of this change, can no longer be the best at everything with one loadout (HEAT+AV). ESFs will get their pass.
    • Up x 2
  19. BermudaOne

remember that time in beta when pilots were falling from the skies like flies, where AA used to pick THEM off in under 3sec... remember how pilots complained bitterly and the skies were almost barren...
    remember how SOE brought AA in line at that point?

And now SOME pilots feel ripped off when they lose the ability to do what AA once did to them, learn to adapt, learn how to play in a fair balanced game.

Good lord, AA does not cover every square meter of the continent. Infantry overextend and they pay for it as usual, if you think air is useless after this patch then you are playing air with the wrong idea in mind.
  20. SirBobington

Nice.