buff deterrence please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tapioca Express, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tapioca Express

being the AA/AV deterrent is extremely unrewarding. Not only do you not get to see things blow up most of the time, you get no exp out of it.

Give us vehicle disabling exp every time the tank crew or pilots hop out of their vehicles to repair. Give AA gunners deterrence exp for hitting planes and making planes disengage and leave the zone. Give the entire crew of a vehicle a % cut of any exp gained from anyone in the vehicle. That tail gunner for the liberator is very important in deterring aircraft from farming your liberator for that precious exp, yet it is the least rewarding position. Even less rewarding than playing the current AA deterrent game with the phalanx guns.

My reasoning for vehicle disabling/deterrence is this: if i get the opportunity to reap exp for successfully surviving that AA/AV and repairing my vehicle, then the person dealing that damage should be rewarded for forcing me to repair myself and get that exp. Why should they not be rewarded for doing their jobs effectively? We get rewarded for doing everything else.

An effective crew working as a team increases the overall situational awareness of the group. Each person on that crew has a role in watching their cone of fire for potential threats. Why should the 2ndary gunners on main battle tanks and tail gunners on liberators be excluded from being rewarded for being a part of the crew. The pilot gets a share of the pot, why can't they get a cut as well?

The 2nd gunner on a tank has a vital role in killing off any infantry that sneaks up on the tank to try to tank mine/c4 the tank, its their job to make sure that the tank survives for as long as possible so why don't they get a cut of the exp when the tank driver gets a cut of exp from the secondary turret gunner? As a suicide bombing engineer, i can tell you from experience that the 2nd gunner on a tank can be extremely effective in keeping me from being able to tank mine/c4 their tank. I've also seen several gunners use their machine guns to clear my tank mines before as well. So why is such a vital role in the crew not being rewarded fairly?

I'm not asking to nerf vehicles, i'm asking for a push for more teamwork through more rewards. Its called positive feedback, if players are rewarded for teamwork then they'll be more inclined to do it. More teamwork should in theory be more fun and have a greater player retention since the average person feels that doing something rewarding with friends is more fun than doing it alone.

TL: DR reward us more for team work so you can shut up and keep taking my money.
    • Up x 10
  2. MilitiaMan

Deterrence is OP enough, it reflects spells back at the caster with a glyph and is best used with disenga......

Nvm, carry on...
    • Up x 3
  3. Tapioca Express

inb4 someone doesn't read anything and thinks i'm just asking for AA/AV buffs when i'm not.
    • Up x 1
  4. forkyar

um hello,aa got a buff,deal with it.
  5. Tapioca Express

sounds like you didn't even bother reading anything i posted.
  6. KarlR

I read your post and you make very some good points. I would very much like to see some sort of cert gain for providing battlefield utility, especially for anti air roles. The main issue with vehicle damage based experience is that it may lead to artificial experience boosting. That is probably the primary reason why the developers have chosen not to include such mechanisms.

But in my opinion experience sharing has a lot of issues right now. First of all is that it barely exists. I run an outfit and we capture territory pretty quickly, which is great. What isn't great is that I'll have to re task squads to other objects not in the current hex and they wont get the experience for capturing a base they had a dramatic hand in taking.

Furthermore you dont get squad repair or revive bonuses for repairing or reviving people in your platoon. I think that if a squad member blows a generator, then every one in the platoon should get a share of the experience for the generator. I also think that a infiltrator should get experience every time some one uses a console they've hacked.

It's a complex issue, but one I'm sure the development team is up to the task of tackling, we just need to make sure they understand our concerns.

TL:DR More experience sharing between squads/platoons, more experience gain for battle field utilities.
    • Up x 2
  7. Tapioca Express

Honestly i dont think experience boosting would be that much of an issue since even if you are generator swapping between 2 characters, it would still take about 15 hours to get 1000 certs. But yes you bring up a good point about squad play and objectives. I had not even thought of that. Perhaps the entire exp system should be reworked and be more rewarding to players for team work since this is suppose to be a team oriented game.
  8. Tapioca Express

i guess i should have asked for more nerfs or something if i wanted people to actually take anything seriously.
  9. Luft

I agree with this 100%.
  10. PieBringer

So true. Far too few people care about teamwork. T_T
  11. Tapioca Express

that is unfortunate. either way i hope that the devs actually make a few changes that reward more group play. i'm really enjoying the game, but if we start losing a ton of players then it would get pretty boring.
  12. Weylin

I suggested this before and it got derailed.

There needs to be exp for forcing vehicles to withdraw for repairs.
    The enemy engineers farm exp off your damage, you get NOTHING.
    Doing this sort of stuff which is beneficial to the team should be reasonably rewarded.
    Getting like 35exp for an assist kill is just pitiful, and it doesn't even happen reliably when a enemy gets killed.
    I've damaged vehicles near death and a stray shot claims the kill and gives me no exp at all, this is a different matter though.
    • Up x 2
  13. WUNDER8AR

agreed. bump
  14. MexelVanMexelen

If we get squad experience, what do I need to do to get in a squad with SkyeXile ? :cool:
    My promise to not spend SC would be EZ-mode after that lol.

To OP: Yup. This has to come surely. The fact the fly-boys get repair XP off of our deterrence is just salt in the wound, isn't it?
  15. siiix

more defense = frag fest / xp farming / ammo & heal spam

SO NO ! its bad enough as it is
  16. Tapioca Express

Honestly as a lib pilot myself, i purposely take a little bit of flak damage before flying back for ammo. That extra >>100<< repair exp from repairing my liberator because its a little dinged up down to about 3/4th health while waiting for ammo to completely restock is nice. I feel it is absolutely unfair to the players on the ground that actually force me to land to repair. Even if they do manage to kill me, i feel that a full liberator should be worth more than 500ish exp total if anything everyone that contributed to the liberator kill should be rewarded a large portion of the entire kill's worth of exp. Currently assists and critical assists are only limited to the aircraft exp itself. That is silly and should be changed.

Make that kill streak stopper exp higher. If i'm in a tank and i'm steam rolling players, i better be the juiciest target to take out because i SHOULD be worth more points when i get killed. It would not bother me at all if i was worth more exp since i would already have had my fun blasting things and i'd just get another tank/plane immediately after anyway.
    • Up x 1
  17. Tapioca Express

another person that didnt even bother reading what i posted
  18. Goldy

Yep, I said the same thing in another thread. Exp reward based on damage and not kills. Meta game would change over night I'm sure.

Seems like a better way.
  19. Packman

It's a sad thing that you have to even make a topic on this subject. This should have been implemented from day one.

All this press talk about team play in PS2 on all aspect of the game and yet you get absolutely no reward for contributing to damage and take down those bastards.
  20. Tapioca Express

I'm glad that a lot of players share the same feelings as i do about the lack of rewarding team play. As a play on KarlR's idea about the squad getting the generator exp, personally i feel that players in the area should get bonus exp for helping to defend/attack a generator. Players should also get more exp if they make kills/assists while standing on nodes as well. This would encourage more objective team oriented gameplay instead of spawn camping.

If i'm an attacker, I WANT to see every door covered by a turret. I WANT to see players covering all the entrances. I DON'T want to see 1 person semi afk just standing in the corner waiting for the place to flip since the rest of the team are all tunnel visioned at the spawn door. I WANT to work with my light assault players and flash bang into a room through the windows, i want to use my smoke grenades and rush into the room and clear out the room and pretend we're super cool like the swat people. I want to see players in maxes burst into the room and all you can see through the smoke and flash is the glow of their eyes and the flashing of their machine guns. If they killed me and it looked super cool when they did it, then i can appreciate that it looked pretty awesome even if i died in the process.

Also, whats up with the death cams anyway? I don't want to tunnel vision on my corpse, why cant i pan my camera around slightly so i can actually see the room as the action unfold while i'm in the process of dying? Would it make sense? probably not. Would it be a lot cooler? Definitely.
    • Up x 1