Balance Pass Post 2: Nanoweave and Related Features

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Nov 11, 2013.

1. TheSandwichMakr

I have to agree with this because as a target gets farther away, it's harder to snipe anyway and most snipers don't got for headshots on moving targets anyway. If they really want to do this though, the range needs to be dependent on the weapon, not a flat 150m.
    • Up x 4
  2. Razorfinch

Agreed I'm not too happy about this. I like to jump on my sniper and go harass bases firing from 300-400 meters most of the time with my longshot, The idea that you don't get a kill if you manage to head shot from 400m is insane. That's a HARD shot. Shouldn't we be rewarding skill rather than punishing it.
    • Up x 2
  3. M1kst3r1

Why the 150 meter sniping skill cap?

As a mediocre sniper at best and a player who rarely snipes anyway, I find this to be an unjust nerf to skilled snipers who I currently fear for a good reason. There should be a penalty for standing still in the open for long periods of time, because there's enough of camping and stale gameplay already. A good snipers provide this penalty, a bad one doesn't.

The statement: "Dying to a sniper that you never had a chance to see is a poor gameplay experience for everyone on the receiving end." is not valid.
    - It takes considerable SKILL to land a headshot, especially if the target is moving or is far away
    - A player always has a CHANCE to find cover, move unpredictable and lower their head to avoid getting shot in the head
    - It is not poor gameplay experience when there is skill involved on both sided, it's good gameplay

Balancing snipers is easy:
    - High ROF, low damage and bullet velocity
    - Low ROF, high damage and bullet velocity
    - Only headshots are a one hit kill
    • Up x 5
  4. Bortasz

The OHK are hart to made. If you don't like them make them harder to accomplish by removing x10 and x12 scopes. But don't turn them off.
    • Up x 1
  5. VonStalin

No helmet = easy head shots = I am happy
    Sniping no one kill head shots = sniping not entertaining = I am not happy
    • Up x 1
  6. NinjaSniper002

• NO.
    • if you want to nerf it, add a lot more bullet drop for long range shots.
    • Up x 3
  7. z1967

Guys, i think they either
    A) have risen the range past 150m
    B)All of the NC on Connery have been shooting themselves in the foot.
    C)Accidental buff to M-77B head shot damage...
    Cause I can confirm three kills outside the 150m OHK range. Are the TR getting even more OP weapons? :eek:
  8. Stncold

After coming back and seeing these changes about 150m OHK cap, I'm not even mad or upset because after all the dumb changes to EQ over the years, BFRs, the NGE, Vanguard and PS2 in general, I expect this sort of pants on head ******** stuff from SOE. No stupid thing they do can upset or anger me anymore because I expect it from them.

It's really sad I can say that about a company and that's why I have 0 hope for EQNext.
  9. Nintyuk

NOT.YET.IMPLEMENTED.

PROPOSED.CHANGES.

READ.THE ACTUAL.PATCH.NOTES>
  10. starecrow

we've had a couple of those kinds of posts by now. I don't know, man, I don't know...
  11. Gypsycream

lol. As if snipers weren't pointless enough, you're now making them useless at the ranges they are intended for.
    I can already out-snipe most infiltrators at 150m with a medic, so I'm guessing I'll use medic as a sniper from now on.
    inb4 medic nerf because "dying to somebody who can aim is a poor gameplay experience."
    • Up x 4
  12. DX8Master

• The 150 meter range is a starting point. It may be adjusted during tuning, and we’ll be monitoring the range once it is live to see if it needs to be adjusted to be shorter or longer.
    I would recommend not capping the OHK because the father the enemy is the harder it is to kill them, with bullet drop and the fact that the target gets increasingly smaller, it already a way to decrease the amount of kills that way. If you are getting killed by long ranged snipers a lot you are doing something wrong! Long shot kills also take a lot of skill to be able to pull of successfully and regularly meaning a lot of us long range snipers have spent a lot of time practicing getting better and better. So if you plan to cap sniping ranges then a refund in all the certs we spend in our infiltrator class is not enough we also need a refund in all that time we spent practicing and perfecting our long shot kills. Yes I may be a sniper and you may think of me just looking out for me but I'm also a light assault, Heavy, Medic, Engineer, Max, Pilot, and most importantly I am a Planetside 2 Player. I hope you make the right decision :)
    • Up x 2
  13. Klondor

I seriously question SOE's decision making skills. Don't you guys realize that this is the whole philosophy behind a sniper? The whole point and motto behind a sniper is: "one shot, one kill". The sniper is meant to deal death at a distance, out of sight of the enemy to disrupt movement, pin them down, or eliminate high value targets. 150m is within a good shot pattern for carbines, this means that any infiltrator trying to track a moving target with anything more than a 7x scope is going to lose almost every time unless the enemy stops, or runs in a straight line toward the infiltrator. The video that Lazaruz posted is a perfect example of how a sniper should perform. It's job /again/ is to deal death at ranges in which carbines, LMGs and other small arms are rendered ineffective unless you're VS because.... well you know, 0 bullet drop and little recoil. o_O

Guys, I don't know what direction you're taking, but it seriously feels like one of those moments where you see some comic character representing the company standing at a fork in the road staring at 2 signs, one reading "Good decision" and the other reading "Bad Decision", our character of course, skips merrily down the "Bad Decision" path, treading on all sorts of broken pieces of the game, stumbling over everything it has to repair.
    • Up x 2
  14. Kedyn

I'm surprised that it has not yet been decided to split "Armors" from "Utility". That way, we can pick our defensive option (NWA, Flak, Shield) and pick our Utility slot, like additional grenades, magazines, or rockets/explosives. Having to pick whether I want more of something trivial and situational or if I want negligible additional survivability is an obnoxious choice. Being able to equip Flak Armor and additional AV weapon ammo would be great to have to combat the vehicle zergs that are so common in this game.
    • Up x 1
  15. BattleMage

I still wish you guys would make an armor that very slowly restores health over time (kinda like nanite auto repair for infantry).
  16. Klondor

People like you make this game so worth getting headshots.
    • Up x 3
  17. JonboyX

If I may make a recommendation; slot based armour. So people can pick and choose how to spec their class.
    e.g. one slot for nw, two for ammo pouches, and two for flak.

This is a really good opportunity to modify the costs and lay-downs for the armour types, whilst giving players the opportunity to mix and match. Currently: NW1 is just flat out worse than NW5. A new player coming in shouldn't have that penalty.

With a few hours of play, they should be able to fill all five armour slots and be Mr(s) Versatile. In a few days/weeks, THEN they can specialize in to NW5 or Flak5.

If you remember back to PS1; each armour type had real advantages and real disadvantages. Rexo wasn't better than Agile, because agile gave you footspeed (and vehicle access). Standard even had its uses... although due to lag admittedly. It was a good thing having to make sacrifices... rather than just an MMO B>A "because", and C>B because it's next in the grind.
    • Up x 1
  18. PSWedge

Snipers in PS1 didn't get one hit kills and didn't get to have a stupid cloak to hide behind either. Cry me a river babies. It's supposed to be a support role in a game of this scale, not free kills.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hexcimer

The Halberd is and should be a great anti-vehicle weapon. To that extent, it doesn't need to be an especially effective AOE anti-infantry weapon. It's a HEAT round currently, and it doesn't need to be anything more than an armor piercing round. It is too broadly capable and steps on the toes of other anti-infantry secondaries.

Ideally, HEAT rounds should be limited to main turrets. Secondary turrets should be highly role specific.

The Kobalt would be a much better AI option if the bullets could pass through one or more infantry or lightly armored targets. It would be nice to see a jumpseat gunner repairer get chewed up by rounds passing through the main vehicle. We could simply chalk it up as a medium or heavy machine gun. This should be true for the Mana AI turret as well. It should have significantly greater abilities than portable LMGs or SAWs carried by heavy assaults. There's no reason an MMG or HMG shouldn't be able to empty a drum and fire longer than an LMG. If you really wanted to troll infantry players mad, put an overheat cooldown on all automatic weapons.
    • Up x 1
  20. GunsmithJoe

Yes, it is supposed to be a support role; support by killing key targets. It's not a role that will mow down an entire squad on its own, but it will take down that hidden medic that's stopping your squad from mowing them down

Please try to expand your mediocre education.
    • Up x 1