As a MAX user, it's obvious MAXes are overpowered

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WorldOfForms, Nov 12, 2014.

1. WorldOfForms

Honestly I'm a bit surprised that 1) A recent thread was posted saying MAXes needed buffing, and that 2) there aren't more complaints about these things.

I've been using MAXes a lot lately, and it's kind of silly how powerful they are. If I get into a 1v1, 1v2, and even 1v3 fight with infantry, I'm almost guaranteed a win. I walk away with 20+ kill streaks sometimes (a few times I've gone 40+ kills), and this is playing SOLO (Note: It's hilarious to me when people claim MAXes suck solo).

I am not some great player. I'm OK. Not that it matters too much since the skill ceiling on MAXes is very low. I just feel bad for all the infantry I melt and they just have no chance of survival (granted, a lot of them are dumb and try to fight me head on).

For those people that don't think MAXes are overpowered, I have to ask:

- Do you not have your MAX fully certed? I am able to swap between max kinetic, max flak, and max regen at will. I have MAX charge, plus extended mags where applicable.

- Are you not a subscriber? With the new resource system, I have literally pulled MAXes back to back for over an hour straight (which is just silly) in a heavily contested base, not in some tiny fight.

- Do you not use implants? I have EOD HUD II...

- Do you just rush the enemy and shoot until you die?

- Are you just really, really bad at the game? I mean, using a MAX is stupidly easy for farming kills. Even if you don't get 20+ killstreaks, you should be able to pull a 2/1 K/D even if you you are bad at aiming.
    • Up x 5
  2. Anomalous Entity

That's the idea. A mini-tank in the middle of the infantry battle. Something to THINK about... something that would cause BrainFart4 and Call of Doody players to stand motionless with their mouths agape trying to figure out why they can't run and gun the damn things.

Let Planetside be different than other FPSs (despite Higby's attempts)
    • Up x 20
  3. Rovertoo

MAXes are in a good place right now, powerful and scary as they should be, save for the fact that they can be revived. Making them non-revivable would go a long way to making them more protected indoor tanks and valuable assets instead of just "OP Infantry".
  4. Yuukikun

It's too late for this. There is no point in removing the MAX now because majority of the players who wanted fair fights already left the game leaving a majority of players who think seeing kills appear in the screen just because they can hold left mouse button is fun. If you nerf or remove MAX units now, PS2 will just lose the last part of its community that's left.
  5. Drasilov

MAX units cost 450 resources to pull - same as a heavy tank (IIRC). You should be able to kick *** with it.

Unfortunately, Miller server seems to have a LOT of good players who really know their stuff. Its extremely easy to get pasted playing a Max if you are not 100% situationally aware. First off, a tank kills you in 2 hits, Hornet missiles kill you in 2 hits, C4 kills you instanly unless you have full flak (I think) and rushing into a room with lots of enemies will shred you in seconds.

Plus not everyone is fully certed. Mine is nowhere near. I do ok with it but I know if I am doing anti-air, stay very close to cover because a banshee will kill you so quickly you wont even know what hit you. Stay the hell away from high ground and walls. Thats when you get one shotted by LA's. Also be damn sure whoever you are fighting aren't more than 2 heavies because the RL will pulverise you without decent armour. If you are in the open you will almost certainly be one shotted by a wraith flash.

I've done a 20 streak before but usually I get killed long before that.
  6. Leftconsin

If I'm spending 450 nanites and I don't have a good shot of winning my next 1v1, then I'm not going to be spending those 450 nanites in the first place.
    • Up x 8
  7. Fellgnome

MAXes seem like one of those things players got bored/exhausted of complaining about enough that they're under the nerf radar at this point.

It's also really hard to balance them vs. well certed players and newer players. Well certed players, especially any kind of coordinated outfit, you often may as well not bother outside of a MAX crash. Against noobs, it's a farming machine.
  8. _itg

It's really only the intimidation factor that makes MAXes seem overpowered. I can't tell you how many times I've moved down a group of 4-5 infantrymen because most of them turned and ran, when they'd have easily killed me if they all just stood their ground and shot me, to say nothing of pulling out their rocket launchers. A non-kinetic MAX has 10x the effective health of an infantryman vs. small arms, which means they'll last about 1 second against the sustained fire of 5 infantrymen.

Also, ask yourself, how many MAXes below BR50 have killed you recently? How many have you even seen? I'm guessing the number is pretty small. Part of it is because low-BR players typically haven't certed out their MAXes, but a big part of it is that it takes a fair bit of experience and situational awareness to not die as a MAX. Of course, when you have that experience/awareness, you tend to last quite a while in a MAX suit, but it's the same thing for tanks.
    • Up x 4
  9. Ransurian

MAXes in general aren't overpowered, but NC Raven spam is some of the dumbest, dirtiest sh*t I've had to deal with in this game next to stealth tankbusters. Either TR's long-range ESAV needs to be buffed or our counterparts need to get smacked with the nerf bat.
  10. RykerStruvian

MAXs are a joke. Seriously, it goes like:

> see max coming
    > throw C4 above doorway
    > max steps through door
    > detonate C4

Thats really all there is to it. If there are any others, decis will take them out easily and small arms.

I don't use the Raven so I can't comment on it from an NC perspective, but I do think the Striker needs a buff.
    • Up x 5
  11. Fortress

Those of us who have any intellectual investment in this game hear you.

That said, to quote my buddy Flapatack, you can't just walk into a hospital and try to take away everyone's crutches.
    • Up x 1
  12. _itg

Fractures do need a buff, but don't forget that Pounders are every bit as OP as Ravens in the close-range department. Pounders are almost a hard counter to other MAXes within about 50m, and they still kill infantry more than passably well.
  13. Robes

Tanks and libs.
  14. MrForz

For your questions: I am a fairly well certed MAX player, not for all purposes yet but it's excellent at what it does with a pair of mag-extended scattercannons. I do pull off ridiculous K/D ratios, survive quite well, well enough to pull another MAX should I die or redeploy, trade blows very efficiently with a careful use of the aegis shield when it doesn't bug out, and remain wary of LA's.

Some infantry players do give me a hard time, and the Anti Vehicle grenade being quite popular doesn't help it, many classes have the tools to defeat the mass murdering machines we are, singlehandedly, if they miss... Well, they miss, it's just like fighting other infantry players, but they do have a small chance, and the less seasoned MAX players tend to fall for most of tricks. It kind of brings us back to the usual good player vs bad player, because after all... I'm not getting that 20 K/D ratio by slaughtering seasoned players from a same outfit, and I'm sure as hell you aren't aswell.

When you spend these 450 nanites and get into a MAX suit, you are expected to mow down the ennemy infantry in a relentless fashion and do questionable things to their corpses, that's the deal. If the MAXes weren't worth the nanites you'd just want to go Heavy Assault and spend the nanites into equipment.
  15. MAXArmar

One thing is certain, MAXes do not need buffs.
  16. REZistance

I dunno, I've been able to kill undamaged MAXes with my Stalker by myself.. so, naturally I'm not in the 'MAXes are too powerful' camp. Probably just noobs, but hey.. they aren't unstoppable if you act in a way that magnifies their weaknesses (mainly vision and turning ability).
  17. Donaldson Jones

I don't know about buffs or nerfs or anything for that matter. All I DO know is this game needs a direct injection of INTERESTING.
    • Up x 2
  18. Typhoeus

I loathe Ravens so much. Best AV option for all max's by far. One fracture rocket which is dumbfired and has drop does like 1/8th the damage of one raven rocket. Not much left in the game that is glaringly in need of tweaks but that's one of them.
  19. Xasapis

Ravens and Banshee are already confirmed for rebalance by SOE.
    • Up x 1
  20. Saool

This the only part of your post I would agree with. With the 'half a resource system' we now have, you effectively have infinite stuff. I cannot remember the last time I could not buy a med pack or grenade. If you own Hossin (50% MAX cost reduction) you can chain pull maxes all night.

As for the rest, any half decent player can deal with a MAX. That often means not engaging and biding your time but smart players don't stand there trying to 1 on1 a MAX. These are probebly the same people who shout about heavy shields after losing a 1 on 1 at ten paces whilst playing LA. I mean, what did you expect?
    • Up x 1