Anti-Material Rifle on PTS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, May 29, 2015.

1. Littleman

SMG infils are effective and fair, but agreed, the cloak is wonky and I feel more subject to packet issues. Those that should be in deep cloak often don't look it. They already become solid entities while stationary for a period of time already, and of course, there's things like darklight, motion sensors, and emp grenades to flush them out. But their cloaking issues aren't balance designs (I think...) but bugs and shouldn't be a consideration. Mostly - no FPS worth writing home about gives OHK extreme range weapons to an entity that can go invisible at will...

Their 900 total health only becomes a TTK difference beyond the first damage tier drop for most weapons (10m) and when nanoweave is involved, so in a straight up slug match between an infil and a medic/engi/LA, as long as it's within 6 meters (most SMG's first fall off) the two opponents are equal in relative life. SMGs tend to dominate over most rifles/carbines in CQC damage output though. So while it sucks the SMGs begin fall off at 6m, that's probably more evening the odds than an actual detriment.

What really needs to happen is for there to be more sensitive objectives to hack. A few terminals and some turrets is just bleh.

Yes, but it's a primary weapon, most targets are going to be AI, and secondaries are atrocious versus infantry unless we're comboing knives with our hand guns, or the target is simply that bad. This is why I'm saying: the only times this weapon will be drawn is when a deployed sunderer is under fire from distant MAXes and AV turrets, aka, conveniently close terminal for quick switcharoos. It's not even fit as a clumsy bolt action AI weapon that could work, but would still be a horrible option compared to anything else. It's just completely ineffective at any role besides MAX and ESF deterrence with that kind of chambering time. And that muzzle velocity...

I have the feeling it's just going to be too UP for people to even consider certing into it. As a primary, it needs some flexibility into combating AI. Not too much, but it shouldn't be worse off than anything from WWII.
  2. Xiad

I see a good deal of people worrying about this weapon being useless against MAXs. Personally, as someone that has plenty of fun sitting on the landing pads of tower bases and smashing tanks to pieces with dual AV weapons, this weapon worries me a little. I am trying to look at it from the other end of the scale of course, but humour me here. If two or three of these weapons get trained on you as a MAX, all it takes is a tiny bit of coordination and three people can drop you within a handful of seconds, provided you don't just sprint off a ledge to safety the instant the first volley hits. Even without the coordination between people, it is still another source of potent, instantaneous, unpredictable and difficult-to-counter damage for a relatively exposed AV MAX. I suspect I'll need to keep my head a little lower, when these hit live.

Also, I'm imagining the potential of these things established AV positions with a modicum of leadership involved, to focus fire properly. I'm getting the impression that this thing might be able to encroach a little on what was purely Lancer territory until now.
  3. sIcGER

hopefully its not intended to have sway with 4x scope. if so, it should be removed.

the damage against maxes for what its primarily designed for is pretty good, but i wonder how many times you will be able to really make use of it. too close to a max and you will probably not be able to fire a second shot before you are dead. and ofc you will have a hard time against infantry, since you would have to use your secondary. on the other hand, damage against esf is almost too good - imagine 2 engies shoot at an esf... one lock-on could probably finish it
  4. LodeTria

You're describing the exact felling of the relationship between vehicles and MAXes. Now you will know how annoying you are being.
    • Up x 2
  5. Xiad

The difference being AI tankers deserve it, when they shelling my base. Also, it's not exactly difficult to avoid Comets (weapon of choice for myself) and very little else will result in a fast death, or at least there will be enough space and time to react.
  6. LodeTria

And now you deserve being sniped effectively for being a MAX.
    • Up x 4
  7. Armcross

LOL

You forgot to say "Buwahhahahaha"
  8. Shatters

Welcome to the world of vehicles. AI or AV, they all have to deal with this 100% of the time. And its great that we finally have something able of pushing away maxes from high-spots.
    • Up x 2
  9. Campagne

Even lightnings and MBTs? If so, then yay! :D (Unless it's awful.)
  10. Mythologicus

Now this has piqued my interest. Can I camp on a hill sniping aircraft? I want to camp on a hill sniping aircraft.
    • Up x 1
  11. Scr1nRusher

Its only effective against MAX's really.

It takes forever to kill vehicles & aircraft.
  12. AlterEgo

If they'd make it deal better (or any at all) damage against heavier vehicles, I could see it being bought on a noticeable scale. Otherwise, it's another weapon for Engineer (a well-deserved one) that could use some improvements. HOWEVER, I better see ES weapons in the next update. With NEW abilities and NEW models.
    • Up x 1
  13. Scr1nRusher

"well deserved?"

The Engineer already has so much on it & going to be put on it.

The Infiltrator barely has anything to a point where its deemed as useless as the LA.
  14. Shaggath

I don't know if it's limitation or not finished version.

But it's marked semiauto but it's a bolt action.
    And curiously 4x it's bugged and need to play with breath system.

Not put that on infi it's too simple to take good pos and shoot back tank.
  15. FateJH

You know, with everyone mentioning that it's actually bolt-action, but it's stat card says "semi-auto," it's entirely possible that it doesn't actually have a 4x scope as is listed there. Since the 6x scope doesn't appear to be an unlockable optic, that might be what it has by default. The sway might make sense. Can anyone test this?
  16. eldarfalcongravtank

fully agree! i wish it sounded similar to this:

WOULD BE FREAKING BRUTAL!
  17. AlterEgo

The Infiltrator is definitely UP. Cloak sucks, hacking is not an option (will talk about this), and the class is only useful when they either go Faze-mode and quickscope all nearby enemies, or just sit down on an ammo box and spam recon darts (this isn't too useless, actually). I say the Engineer deserves the AM Rifle because it'd add new flavor; the Engineer's greatest abilities lies in his tools, which are more numerous than other classes. If they'd fix cloaking, make the Infiltrator a slightly more aggressive class, and finally allow it to hack into all vehicles (be they friendly or not), the game would see a bit more flavor. In fact, I'd support a light version of the AM Rifle for the Infiltrator; a version that does not sway (as the Infiltrator is specialized at making sure its rifle is maintained in a steady position) like the Engineer version, has higher velocity, and reloads/rechambers slower, too.
    • Up x 1
  18. ColonelChingles

I guess it's been done.

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  19. Ximaster

Oh,i like those weapons,hopefully i get more kills vs vehicles than infantry (since my aim is really bad) how much credits cost????
  20. Scr1nRusher

It really really sucks against vehicles.

Also its going to be 1000 certs.