And the OP Faction is *drum roll* ....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Endlos

I'm not calling for nerfs on any particular thing (not right at this moment, at least) but factions should be carbon copies of each other. "Different but the same" is not possible and so long as any team has hardware that gives them advantages in some situations but disadvantages in another (with no alternative hardware available to compensate) then the game really can't be balanced.

Empire choice should have been purely aesthetic.
  2. pnkdth

When I see a Vanguard I go the other way. There is no way a magrider wins head to head. Vanny hits hard, has more armour, and is faster. Plus it got that damn invulnerbility shield which is, hands down, the best tank ability in the game. It is mindblowing some NC players still tries to make the Vanguard sound so bad and toot the whole "hard mode"-horn.

I guess they're stuck at the end of beta, and in a time where both the magrider and prowler wasn't nerfed into oblivion.
  3. iller

There IS one clear loser here however if you look directly Playtime versus AVG score + Median score.

HINT: look at the OP's Avatar.

Also a little worried about Medics honestly, when looking at raw Playtime only.
    Field Medics need something that makes their job more FUN. Like placeable Deflection Shields, or some kind of EVAC mini-hovercraft that can bunny hop over cliff/walls and shiz. Something so unique to planetside that it actually MAKES the setting feel like the year 3000 instead of just 2250 which it looks like now.
  4. StormFrog

Someone should add this post to the Wikipedia entry on confirmation bias.
    • Up x 1
  5. eldarfalcongravtank

looks to me like space americans still got the disadvantage regarding their tank and esf. or not?
  6. CupBoy

"probably" does not a "fact" make.
  7. madman278

That is the reason why u have stats and metrics. It's not an unknown, we know exactly the battle ranks of those players so why are the stats for all players with 60+ minutes of play time vs 60+ minutes and battle rank > 30.. it's that easy.. meh like i said those stats are at best incomplete at worst misleading. Simple thought experiment right now those stats look close but what if suddenly an influx of new players joined VS and their stats dropped? should we buff them now? or nerf the others? See.. makes no sense to group all players stats together.
  8. CupBoy

I'm know what you're hinting at. You just can't call something a "fact" just because you think it might be that way.

Edit: 96.2% of all NC characters are BR1-20 vs. 95.6% for TR and 96.1% for VS.

And here are per-class numbers for BR15+ characters: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zJfN1VYalRnWS0xMnBUdTJpM1E&output=html&gid=37
  9. santuckcasper

agreed, cant people just stop whinning and actully suggest some good changes, instead of just crying nerf?
  10. Duff_Chimp

Pretty much even across the board with the largest disparity being maxes, and this is after the nerf. Heaven knows how much better they were before... clearly the nerf was needed, and clearly its helped reduce the difference between faction MAXes, bring on the MAX update!
  11. Dovahkiin

[IMG]
    1. NC max prevails simply because of game design. NC maxes aren't a problem if you're LA ;)
    2. All Engineers seem to be fairly equal. TR gets more score per hour because the default carbine has 40 rounds per mag and a fast RoF.
    3. TR medic prevails due to the 40 round mag no doubt and fast RoF
    4. TR prevails with LA because of the 40 round mag RoF. AGAIN
    5. HA seems fairly equal. that's good
    6. No idea why TR prevails as Infiltrator, just going to assume that infiltrator is balanced.
    [IMG]
    HOLY HELL! This definetely shows that the game caters more for the TR prowler no doubt. All MBT's are great, but the game as of right now does disservice to the Vanguard.

[IMG]
    NC is definitely dealt the short end of the stick with ESF's. Tis a shame that NC specific vehicles underperform. Oh well, I'm happy that the scythe is dominating the skies, no doubt with the stats are influenced by my efforts ;).
    • Up x 1
  12. P4NJ

Thank you for your excellent explanation of why my post is biased =P
  13. CupBoy

You people are all crazy for reading this and that into these numbers. TR has a slight edge with regards to score per hour? It must be the "40 round mag no doubt". Sure. Or maybe TR for some reason buys more boosts. Or have slightly more organized outfits. Or any of a million other variables you haven't ever thought about..

If the factions are all performing within 10% of each other, I'd say it's pretty balanced.
    • Up x 2
  14. Bulltahr

A Pyscology students dream (or nightmare) as to the whys, hows and which personalities choose which faction, which class, etc. The variables are endless. Me, I just enjoy an awesome gaming experiance!
  15. Aegie

With so many thousands of data points it is not unreasonable to assume that certain things are unrelated to the factions- such as skill and amounts of boosts. Is there a good a priori reason to assume 1 faction will use more boosts, have more skill, etc.? Perhaps, but I have yet to hear one. You are right, there are a lot of factors that go into these stats but why when you see large differences between the factions would you assume it must be anything but the actual hardcoded faction differences? The most parsimonious explanation for why the Prowler outscores the Vanguard is because there is something different about the Prowler- not the people playing because these are different people on different days with different skills (and these things should average out across factions with enough data points) so unless this discrepancy is anomolous then the most obvious place to begin looking for answers is in the difference between the MBTs. Of course, it is always possible that the stable differences we see in the numbers are due to other factors unrelated to the hardcoded faction differences and if we had access to the same data the devs did then we could adjust for these and see. Still, I find it very interesting how the willingness to try to explain away faction differences in the stats in a way that minimizes the role of actual hardcoded faction differences is so easily explained by the faction a person favors.
  16. Marked4Death

Is score per hour what people are mainly using to evaluate this? Looking at overall pops I'd say on average, across all servers, VS and TR scores are propped up by the under pop score boosts.
  17. TheHalo1Pistol

You forgot one more good thing. It doesn't make you ask what drugs the dev who designed it was doing.
  18. Wildclaw

The most telling statistic is the Infiltrator one. I am fairly certain that the median infiltrator doesn't use an SMG. Yet TR somehow manages to get 7.5% more score/hour than the other two factions.

That is obviously because TR sniper rifles are overpowered. :D

Or more likely there are some other factor as to why TR is getting about 7.5% more score with pretty much every infantry class.
  19. Poka

If you consider only infantry, it's about equal, as soon as you start tossing in vehicles NC is bad.
  20. SpartanZero

Which is exactly why the magrider is now in it's current design. A slow hovering brick with argueably less mobility than a Prowler despite the strafe ability.