AM7-ARCHER is lop-sided and bad, how to fix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CapEnTrade, Jun 17, 2015.

1. RykerStruvian

Okay, this is the only argument I give you guys in terms of tank mines being broken in a bit. There was a patch made a long time ago so that tank mines would not self-detonate when people placed them under/next to Sunderers. This meant people had to actively move the sunderer after the mines were placed in order to detonate them.

What this means though is that those mines can now be detonate without the sunderer moving if someone, unwittingly, pulls a MAX and steps on/near one of those tank mines. So in a way, those tank mine changes kind of, by proxy, undo one of the changes made to tank mines a while back.
  2. cyb_

Simply shoot the mines or throw a grenade at them to detonate and destroy the vehicle. You do NOT need to wait until it moves somehow.
    • Up x 1
  3. RykerStruvian

I know that but that isn't the point. The point I'm making is that the change was made so that mines wouldn't self-detonate if something was stationary. This basically just means someone needs to throw mines while skipping that step of detonating it themselves, thats if someone pulls a MAX within proximity of the mines. In otherwords, this change to tank mines, and if someone pulls a MAX, kind of invalidates that previous change.
  4. cyb_

I still do not see the problem. I either want a sunderer gone or not. To me it does not make any difference whether I throw a bullet, a grenade or a MAX at a mine to detonated. :)

And if you need to wait for a MAX to spawn to destroy the sunderer, you are doing it wrong.
  5. Leftconsin

After playing in a dedicated squad of Archer users I can say this:
    The Anti_Material Rifle is very good at it's job. It does in fact make vehicles obsolete.
    I found myself when engaging infantry I preferred my Underboss, which I already believe to do too much damage against infantry.
    Against vehicles I found that the AMR is everything that forumside lobbied for. An uncounterable infantry answer against vehicles.
  6. RykerStruvian

The problem is that a patch was released to stop mines from detonating on their own if the vehicle is stationary. If mines detonate based on proximity, it would invalidate the previous patch to stop that from happening. It's not an issue of what you want, the strategies employed, or anything like that. It's pretty basic:

A) Patch was released to stop mines from self-detonating via stationary vehicles
    B) Patch gets released where MAXs detonate mines
    RESULT: Mines placed but not immediately detonated by the person who planted the mines or by the sunderer moving will detonate because someone will inadvertently pull MAX within the proximity of the mine.

It's not an issue of strategy, if you want the sunderer gone or not, or about 'doing it wrong.' Its the fact that patch B inadvertently contradicts patch A. For lack of a better term I'm going to use "side-effect".
  7. cyb_

Well, it is just a small change in game mechanics, nothing more. You need to deal with it.

It was possible to place mines directly on the vehicle spawn, a patch came along and they now explode and you need to place them ~5m away from the vehicle pad. Weird, isn't it.
  8. RykerStruvian

9. TheRunDown

Change Clip Size to 1, pointless to have 5 clip in a Bolt action.. like literally pointless..
    Change to Engineer Ability Slot, Change Ammo Pool to 5, change resupply time to same as Rockets with Ammo boxes.
  10. Pelojian

suck it up. vehicle users have had to put up with repeated nerfs to vehicle play and buffs the infantry against tank play and now a weapon designed to help us against maxes is a new vehicle annoyance weapon.

instead of crying for a solution to nerf vehicle and anti-vehicle engineer tools do what every vehicle engineer has been doing ot most vehicle pads for ages. before pulling look for tank mines, if you find any disarm them with a max rank repair tool.

It's not the devs job to babysit and coddle you, if you don't want to die on pulling a max look for tank mines like many vehicle users do on a regular basis.
  11. Haquim

PS2 tankmines are not triggered by pressure, they are either magnetic or something or triggered by NANITES. Actually, yes. I think they now trigger on proximity of something that is worth more than 0 nanites and bigger than a head.
    Als that wouldn't make them very useful.

First of all, you get a maximum of five of them. Thats not covering a lot of ground at all, tanks would survive all the time because they missed the second mine by 5 cm or something.
    And secondly.... do you remember the horrible "Magriders float, so they shouldn't trigger tankmines" thread?

Also, what exactly triggers proxy mines and BBs? Claymores got their laser, but how do those work?
  12. Bearlover

deal with it. Lol sorry to say

1. Welcome to Planetside, where it is all about combined arms and big battles.
    2. Change your tactics, now you cannot sit idly in your tank camping spawn rooms or bases with your HE spam because lock-on launchers, and/or av turrets wasn't enough to take you out. You actually have to be more aware now and use your terrain to your advantage ( wow some brain is actually needed now )
    3. Teamwork is always overpowered. Deal with it. Sorry again, thats how it is, planetside is war, War isn't fair kids, no spoon feeding here.
    4. Change and more change to your " everyday " comfort zone, you cannot do what you could before, so change, ADAPT, new tactics evolve, planetside evolves , SO DO YOU, THE PLAYER. EVOLVE OR be a whiny little ***** who wants to get spoon fed forever

Sorry to say again, deal with it , adapt and learn how to counter. New weapons involve new tactics. Wtf man up guys
  13. FateJH

I was actually hoping the mine arming timer would be imposed too but it apparently was set up to operate more like throwing explosives at jump pads and landing pads. Even back when tank mines went off automatically after being dropped under Vehicles, the arming timer had to elapse.
    Another enemy Vehicle can also drive close to one of its ally Vehicles that is stationary but has tank mines planted under it, setting the mines off, and destroying both Vehicles. That doesn't mean the mines will never go off under a stationary Sunderer because it is stationary, just that the stationary Sunderer is not the trigger that will set off the mines. It still has to deal with the consequences of being within the explosion radius.
    As far as I can see, you and the person and you are arguing against are both missing the real problem. The real issue is that the mine skips its activation timer which removes response. Combining the mine's radius and instantaneous activation, and the lack of ways to actually mitigate AV Explosion damage, especially for Infantry, it becomes nearly unavoidable AOE death for everything within the vicinity.
    • Up x 1
  14. Cheetoh

I would've prefered a special data knife that hacks the exo-suit and ejects the ***hole wearing it.

How cool would that be?

Once stabbed, you got 5 seconds to go hide your sorry a$$ before you pop out.
  15. RykerStruvian

You need to un**** your reading comprehension skills because I don't have an issue with the changes made to MAXs, vehicles, or any other kind of silly ********. The problem I have is that the patches DBG are pushing out are contradicting themselves even though the previous patches are still in the game. If they don't have an issue with mines detonating while vehicles are stationary, then they should just double back and make it so that tank mines explode upon deployment when placed underneath vehicles. Because with how it is currently, given the above scenario, thats exactly the same effect which would be achieved.

FYI: The patch I am referring to which made the changes to tank mines and how they behaved with stationary vehicles took place somewhere between January-June 2013. I just remember people complained about mines detonating on sunderers because engineers would suicide rush them with mines, so the changes were made so that mines would no longer detonate on stationary vehicles.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/did-tank-mines-change-this-patch.113272/

There you go.
  16. Dgross

M50 Barrett has a 5 round magazine and is also bolt action.
    You expect soldiers to single feed the rounds one at a time in the chamber? That's pointless imo
  17. Iridar51

Played with Archer for about an hour. Killed several MAXes and vehicles, shot some aircraft (no kills tho). Was completely defenseless against infantry. Wish I had at least an SMG for self-defense. EDIT: Nevermind, I realized I'm TR and I can just use Repeater.

I'm not sure just how much damage my Archer did to vehicles and Phalanx turrets I've been shooting, but I've been getting a lot of assist XP.

Generally, I had fun, and I think the weapon is in a good place damage-wise, but it really shouldn't be a primary weapon. And if it is gonna be a primary weapon, I see no reason why Infiltrators can't use it.
  18. FateJH

Let's go an extra mile and ask why any class shouldn't be able to use it, if "being a primary weapon" is your trigger condition.
  19. Iridar51

Because Infiltrator is the only class that still has ZERO AV capabilities, and because sniper rifles are Infiltrator's shtick. It's not like this AMR is unheavenly 20mm anti tank rifle, it's not particularly bigger than Railjack.

AMR can be sort of attributed to engineer's support role, but makes little sense on other classes.
  20. DeadlyPeanutt

sneak up, drop 3 tank mines under the front of the sundie, toss a stick grenade near the tank mines, run away, boom ! or shoot the tank mines

the problem with leaving the tank mines under the sundie is that engies can defuse them... i do