Alright fine, make mines not cost supplies and remain after death.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Hoki, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Hunter_Killers

Clearly its only being suggested because nobody will use it. Learn to defend against mines or get Mineguard.

They also call that assuming. Not once have I ever dropped 2 mines in the same place before or after the change. It was also actually stated that the radius is too large.
  2. Hoho5000

You complain that you're getting killed all the time by AT mines, yet you don't use mine guard yourself? Or that other people won't use it? That's your own fault. If you choose not to use it, then quit complaining.
  3. Ghastt

Mines got a real kick in the ****. Not only is it much harder to place them, but it switches from mines to your main weapon when you lay one down. Killed a few engineers today who tried to kill my sundy using the ol mine rush, they couldnt get the mines out fast enough to do it.

Mines are nearly worthless now as an offensive weapon, and only moderately useful as a defensive one since you can't lay enough to make much of a difference. Mines should have their damage upped so one can kill anything driving over it.
  4. BigHopper

i still blow up sundys with mines you have to lay one at the front wheel and one at the back still easy enough
  5. Udnknome

This is dumb. One grenade and your sunderer goes boom from your own land mines. + you'll get the grief.
  6. OldMaster80

My concern about mines is that the only way to remove them is shooting, and the only way to check a portion of terrain is using AoE weapons, which is totally stupid. Mines should be disarmed the say way we overcharge generators: get close, keep E pressed for a few seconds, and it's done. With claymores that's very risky because you might explode if you get too close.
    Then Engineers could have a tool to equip on slot 5 to actually spot enemy minefields, like some kind of metal detector. That would be very cool.

In a real war, would you ever sorround your own tank with landmines? :confused: That's totally insane.
  7. Udnknome

Engineer repair tool will disarm mines without the explosion, takes a little longer, but you get some exp for it.
    • Up x 1
  8. OldMaster80

Woot! I've learned something new! :eek:
    • Up x 2
  9. Hoho5000

That's why you don't place them next to your own Sunderer, but around the perimeter far enough away that they won't cause it any damage. Crazy, right?
    • Up x 1
  10. Talizzar

Mines you plant and forget. C4 has to be remotely fired. Mines are great. I get free kills all the time with well placed tank and AP mines.
  11. Talizzar

Cool. I have yet to see another mine other than my own teams mines.
  12. Talizzar

M44V we got it you don't like mines. I don't like rocket spam. Man up and counter the mines and quit the QQ.
  13. OldMaster80

Mines are basically invisible. In PS1 that wasn't a huge problem as a single mine couldn't destroy a vehicle, but in PS2 it is.
    I insist we need a tool to spot minefields.
  14. Nuubo

Like the many Night-vision scopes/optics we already have?
  15. discomforter

Mines in PS1 were also not resource capped and each engineer could place 25 of them. Mines now, least the defensively deployed ones need to be in a good spot to be of much use. Giving out a cheap hard counter to mines would pretty much make them less valuable.

If what has been said about mineguard letting you suck up 6 mine hits without dropping is accurate then it seems there is already a pretty nice counter in game. 380 certs (AMS and mineguard) seem's pretty damn cheap to counter...what? about 2400 certs for an engie to be able to carry 5 mines
  16. Ghostfox

They already have them.

The light up like christmas under NV scopes.
  17. ScorpDK

If anything, AT and AP mines need their deploy limit removed. If you got the resources and time to fortify an outpost in anticipation of the incoming convoy of tanks and sunderers, then the game should let you do that. If you know they're coming your way and there's only like 10 guys defending but 20 tanks approaching, for god's sake, the game should let you deploy 20+ mines on the road to stall or slow down the impending attack. You're paying for the bloody things, so it's not like you got infinite numbers of them.

If an entire column runs into a minefield, who is the one at fault? Obviously the people in the column, for not clearing the minefield prior to advancing. If you blindly run into them, your fault. Same deal with AP mines. It's one kill for a bunch of resources.
  18. Dytch

You can definitely shoot a mine and blow it up in this game.
  19. thefinn

I agree a mine should persist after death, the fact of the current mechanic shows me that SOE is really infantile in their understanding of this genre.

They need to come up with some decent design philosophies regarding this kind of thing.

If in 100 years kids are playing battlefield style games and those games are 100 years more sophisticated - will they be MORE or LESS realistic ? Personally, I would say straight off the cuff they will have MORE realism.

So to supersede planetside as a game, one only needs to make more realistic gameplay while making the rest of the game exactly the same.

Thus they are shooting themselves in the foot (pun) by this kind of abstract gameplay - it's far more forgivable with battlefield 3 where the battlefield is limited to 32-64 players, but here there's 2000 people and a couple of mines isn't going to make a lot of difference anyhow.

Stop reading posts from kids who get blown up by these mines, and start looking at the bigger picture and allowing more styles of gameplay not less.

A lot of these items shouldn't replace ammo as a backpack item either. In large groups you end up just being an ammo monkey with no way of making yourself stand out from the crowd of heavies and medics around you.

Have this stuff replace the turret instead - this makes FAR more sense - how is the turret not considered an auxilary weapon along with mines or bouncing betties ?

Instead you replace the one thing that almost every outfit is going to demand you carry and thus make your class boring for you to play.

Absurd "thinking".
  20. Plague Rat

To clarify, Mines DO persist after death but ONLY if you remain an engineer.

Much like the deployable turret and ammo packs, the moment you change your class those all disappear. However so long as you remain an engineer, they will stay.

One of the issues a lot of people are having is that nearby explosions will set them off. This includes a vehicle being destroyed close enough to hit it with splash damage but not close enough to actually set the thing off. The mine is gone and you get no credit. It's very likely that yours mine were just taken out by other means. I even got TK warnings last night because someone set up a mana turret next to my mines and when the turret blew from standard gunfire it set off the mine too, injuring or killing everyone nearby.
    • Up x 1