Aircraftside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TripleMeows, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Captain Kid

no idea. If I see air I just wait until I'm killed then I hit redeploy. works quite well, lot's of times air ignores one soldier on foot. I gave up on lock on weapons it really isn't worth the hassle any more. I have no aa weapons at all.

It's quite odd to see three reavers keeping 15 soldiers locked in the spawn room and see three maxes with just one anti air arm trying to fend them off; then its respawn time (again) for me.
  2. Jalek

So you're saying that if you went AA, you realize that you would have no effect on the situation so redeploying is the only reasonable option. I agree, it's generally a waste of time.
    If people are bored enough, MAX AV weapons are somewhat effective against hoverpodders. I wouldn't waste the resources pulling a MAX to defend an outpost against a couple of aircraft that will just leave if they face any sort of opposition.
  3. david06

MAX bursters and secondaries are really inaccurate, which wouldn't be all that much of an issue if liberators couldn't hover a few hundred meters away outside of lockon range(sometimes directly overhead) and lay waste to vehicles.

If you get experienced with aiming them then AV mana turrets are quite good at deterring and killing libs; it will be a sad day when they are nerfed:

[IMG]

I never understand the infantry complaints about ESFs though, I've been killed when surprised but they will either retreat or be destroyed quite easily by small arms fire. So far libs are my only concern and even then I wouldn't care about them if they didn't constantly shut down small fights.
    • Up x 1
  4. that_darn_lurker

They need to nerf all vehicle XP against infantry, make it like 5% of normal kill XP to discourage vehicles from ruining good infantry fights. Then nerf all air AI damage, get rid of pod and Dalton splash damage, and restore libs old health. Vehicles should mostly be fighting other vehicles. The overall vehicle metagame should be about getting, protecting, and removing mobile spawn locations (sundies and galaxies) not about farming infantry.
    • Up x 1
  5. Fangry

AV Mana Turret is the only thing more overpowered than libs, cause of its range
    If you can see it, you can hit it and you might not even render for them

Ground units have so much to look out for, air has just other air an thats why they have tailgunner..
  6. Fangry

Edit not working, figures

Anyway, why we have 2 seat MBTs and 3 seat flying "MBT" ?
    Why isnt there a 3rd gun on MBT? 1 Main gun, 1 "rear" gun and 1 AA gun ?
  7. Princess Celestia

Aircraft need to be vulnerable to 50 Cal fire. Its just ridiculous that they aren't. Not only is it broken physics, its bad for balance as well.
    And G2A lock launchers need their range increased to view distance max to counter over the top liberators if they don't have their damage increased 5x. Or flak needs to have a higher hit potential. CoF for all flak projectors is ludicrously inaccurate.
  8. Fangry

Lock-ons need certs to decrease the lock-on time
  9. Partick11

How much does it cost to respawn a heavy with lock ons? ..... nothing. What do they have the ability to do? ..... Hide in buildings! Like air use your terrain to your advantage. The amount of times I've redeployed because I used a tree as cover is crazy.

Yes a max cost stuff to pull, but what people that don't fly don't know is that we air people are rendered well before we can render you so a flak max needs patience to take things out bait them in then hit them hard. 2 flak maxes acting smart can take out a lot of air.

And if they are spawn camping you just FLANK them it is possible. Pull what ever you need from another base and hit the air from another direction. It will make them run or just be dumb and die.

Lastly: For some one in PXP, you have pilots, AND REGULAR platoons should be able to work together to take out some simple air.
  10. Bortasz

I call BS. You speaking like HA have ability to kill Liberator with single rocket. Ore that this free rockets can actually hit flying lib. You have to invest 250 cert for air lock to be able hit you, and this is only 450 meters add best. Majority of this hits you will ignore ore heal up with fire suprresor ore NAR.

MAX not only cost resources but also must be upgraded with certs to be effective. And after air leave you are in max, with very limited abilities to transport your self. others can redeploy ore take any vehicle but you must find sunderer to transport you to the next battle. When Liberator just fly off to the next battle.
  11. Fangry

MAX will be viable whenever we get "travel-mode"
  12. Partick11

I have taken out my fare share of libs with and without lock ons. Like flying it requires skill and understandings of the game to kill them.

For the max part, I have taken out a few esf's and libs with a default max. Like the line above this game isn't like any other. You can't come in and be like well with this rocket I should easily take out that lib just by a point and click. You need to lead your shots! Learn! It is what makes games fun! Learn the counter and the best way of doing it! one flak max isn't working yell in prox chat for help (people do that not just canadians) and working together you can take out a lot of stuff! Thast why people join outfits to play together and work together.

But lock ons do need to be buffed against lbs I won't like, I will just sit there and take 2 hawks or what ever before I fly off. The annihilator should be what the hawk does in damage and the hawk should deal damage like the annihilator just because the annihilator can hit both ground and air so you should have to pick between one or the other to deal massive damage.
  13. JackD

A lib pilot has to invest a bit more then just 250 certs. And there is absolutley no reason why a single HA with no resources cost should **** a Lib with a Lock on Launcher.
  14. Jalek

Current lock-ons are more of a threat to nearby infantry than vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  15. P4nda

This was addressed very early on if you haven't been here since Beta.

Bursters used to have the firepower to knock an ESF out of the sky in baaaaasically ~half a clip. If you got lucky you could essentially knock 2 out without reloading. Sky guards were similarily OP.

You have to realize nothing is a 1v1 fight in this game (90% of the time) and so balance must never be viewed from that perspective. When you have multiple squads and even multiple platoons fighting for a Hex, you could have anywhere from 1 to let's say... 15 (for ***** and giggles (though an organized platoon could spam AA and pull more, but this is besides the point)) bursters. Couple that with a few sky guards, and ESFs were getting melted left and right like no ones business (Sony then buffed air after this which created airside for a bit, but again, besides the point). It turns out even with no regional coordination, Bursters and Skyguards are so common that any air does not stand a chance with the "OPness" suggested in this thread and that you support.

To directly answer your question - ESFs are stronger than AA, correct... but that is because there are more AA options than A2G options available. Comparatively, ground based AA is so pathetically easy to maintain (average life etc), the only balanced option was to actually nerf AA to the point where teamwork (even unbeknownst) is required to take down an ESF. With that being said, I still have no real issue getting kills in my Burster MAX, it's never crossed my mind that air is OP. Not since their latest AA rebalance.

When it comes down to it - flak is and always will be an inaccurate, random air deterrent. It's not a G2A lock on missile. You fill the skies with multiple flak weapons to wound aircraft so they leave the combat zone. In all honesty, it sounds like the current AA is fine and working as intended. As it turns out, the only "true" Anti-Aircraft weapon (designed to specifically neutralize a specific target) Is the lock on missile, which currently wrecks face against ESFs.

TL;DR - AA was OP as hell, Sony fixed it.

When you Platoon Lead and are forced to think on a grander scale, things stick out and are easier to understand. AA is a bit too common, so it needed a change. Btw - ESFs are still so easy to kill if you cert into extended mags and progress from the stock weapon. Progression is rewarded and thusly balanced.

I don't and will never fly ESFs, but I always pull my Burster if I see enemy air. Keep that in mind.
  16. Paragon Exile

ESF's and Galaxies are relatively balanced compared to the liberator. They just need to make Libs less offensively viable against ground units (somewhat, it is a gunship) and nearly incapable of effective AA (So ESF's are strong counters).

That would really make the game better. Let's not get crazy with the nerfs now.
  17. Archiadus

I'm a Skyguard user and I used to enjoy playing with it, that was when there were only a few Liberators every now and then and you'd at least be able to hold them off if you moved around like crazy during the whole fight.

Now we have 3- 4 -5 Liberators all in one area which is fine because if I player chooses to use it then they should and my opinion is that they don't have to be nerfed even though I hate them, instead what I'd like to see though is some buffs to the Skyguard so that more players will get interested in using it.

Currently when you pull a Skyguard you have the ability to hold off air but that's only if you focus all of your attention on the Liberator that's up in the air, this means that you can't afford to constantly go into 3rd-PoV just to check if there's someone sneaking up on you because if you do the Liberator will win, if you don't it's highly likely that you'll end up getting killed by either infantry or a ground vehicle.

I'm not a game developer so I can't say what it is that needs to get buffed to the lightning in order to enforce it's role as AA when using the Skyguard but if you want it to be the main vehicle to use in order to deter air then something has to change.
  18. Captain Kid

Cool gif. I also shot down some air already with the av mana turret. It's quite easy when they fly in a straight line or are hovering.
    I once shot down a mosquito with my smg. I was highly surprised because I only hit it once :)

I thought only mosquitos could be hurt by small arms fire because the other aircraft do not get a red cross when you hit them.
    • Up x 1
  19. JudgeDeath

Skyguard is really limiting and underwhelming. Accuracy is very bad beyond 100-200 meters.

It really breaks the immersion when you can kill infantry better with a carbine then a quad mounted antiair-cannon.
    • Up x 1
  20. BengalTiger

Not to mention getting full hit markers with 150 mm shells when firing at infantry, and the guy just walks it off.

What it takes to kill an infantry unit with a single headshot (RAMS .50M), and nothing can prevent it:

[IMG]

Compared with what a Prowler fires, which is easily defeated by flak armor:

[IMG]

Compared to the 150 mm caliber as used by the Vanguard (defeated by flak armor as well ever since it decreases direct hit damage):

http://www.alternatewars.com/Archives/Type_5_15cm_AA/111-SC-290037 - Type 5 - 15cm AA Gun.png

http://www.alternatewars.com/Archiv...290038 - Type 5 - 15cm AA Gun - 29 Sep 45.png

http://www.alternatewars.com/Archives/Type_5_15cm_AA/111-SC-290048 - Type 5 - 15cm AA Gun Shell.png

Then there are control points out in the open (don't electronics generally hate severe weather?), bricks of C4 much smaller than tank rounds doing much greater damage, military bases never occupying the high ground (except two, one of which got seriously nerfed), and millions of other things that absolutely defy logic (and sometimes even nanites).