AF-8 Railjack Review

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by DrankTHEKoolaid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DevDevBooday

Yes you are right, it does 50 extra damage, not 100. I apologise.
  2. DevDevBooday

Just because you personally see it as inferior does not mean it is.
    It has an extra 200 mps velocity with the tradeoff being it takes 0.1 longer to kill at 150 metres.

Whether that tradeoff is worth it is purely on each individuals opinion. Its a sidegrade, not an upgrade.
    Longshot OR Railjack.
    If you think the Longshot is better, go with that.
    If you think the Railjack is better, go with that.

As it is, most people have the Longshot and argue that there is no point in buying the Railjack because its not better in EVERY aspect to the Longshot. Longshot is Tier 3, you cant get better.
    The Railjack is a Tier 4 with a small delay to not put it ahead of the other Tier 3 snipers.
  3. MarkAntony

No they don't want to buy it because it is worse in EVERY aspect apart from bulletdrop and reload time (which is insignificant in Long range sniping and mitigated by smaller mag size)
    It's not a sidegrade it's a downgrade. It has even been proven with math.
  4. DevDevBooday

So you are saying that SOE who has been working at this game for years and balancing this game for years and tweaking this specific weapon for longer than most, yet you, a person with no experience whatsoever are telling me that SOE has no idea what they are doing and its not a sidegrade but a direct downgrade?
    Its a sidegrade, it has downsides and upsides, thats a sidegrade.
  5. HadesR

Apart from the fire delay was added at the last minute with zero player testing .. It's seems like an after thought not fully planned out because they couldn't think of anything else ( even though during the actually prolonged testing they had been given plenty of ideas )

And items such as the ZOE ,AV turrets etc etc shows that SOE are not the messiahs of balancing immune to mistakes.
  6. GunsmithJoe

It is a well known fact that SOE's PS2 development and publishing processes are not terribly mature and have a tendency to fall over or fail entirely (QA anyone?). It's also quite likely that Joe Public may indeed have a better idea as to how a particular mechanic or weapon system will play out. Who are you to say whether someone else is a person of no experience or consequence?

A Sidegrade implies having differing strengths and weaknesses but being relatively balanced on the whole. As a very simplistic example, a weapon dealing 100dmg every second vs a weapon dealing 300dmg every three seconds would be sidegrades. The RailJack, however, does not appear to have the similar balance of pros and cons as compared to the other high-tier rifles.

A quick rundown (with possible oversights):
    Railjack has better muzzle velocity
    Longshot has better reaction time (no shot delay)
    Longshot always hits targets faster than the Railjack, due to shot delay
    Railjack hits for <10% more damage, but this is a red herring as it does not affect TTK so both have the same effective killing power (two-shot kills, or OHK headshots)
    Longshot has more ammo in the magazine and more ammo on standby

By my count, on the balance, the Longshot is still the better weapon platform. Not an equivalent platform, a better one.
    • Up x 4
  7. MarkAntony

considering the AV Mana Turret is OP for 9 months and counting yes that is exactly what I am saying.
    No upside that matters + downsides where it does --> downgrade. simple as that.
    • Up x 1
  8. Lakora

Sigh. The only weapon that came out alright with this patch was the Phaseshift...

The Trap is meh, I expected it to be more like the Incisor from Mass Effect (3 round burst with minimal recoil per bullet)

The Railjack... Well some claim it's OP since you can compensate for the delay (in a perfect world with 0ms latency) some say it's UP... Honestly until roughly 360m the Longshot will be better. T * V = m (not sure if it was km or m) with the T being time from trigger pull 0 being trigger pull n starting t would be when bullet leaves the barrel Longshot = 0, Railjack = .2. Being Longshot would of flown .2s = 120m before the Railjack even fired. Longshot .4 = 240|Railjack .2 = 160||| Longshot .6 = 360|Railjack .4 = 320

So the critical distance is about 370-380m before the Railjack catches up.

Note my math is a bit rusty not done physics in quite a few years.

But yeah personally I think the Phaseshift is the only weapon that came out properly from this patch.

Hahaha, I see you still got my quote about Conz being a 4th faction n that was ages ago. xD
    • Up x 1
  9. DevDevBooday

The Railjack can land shots more reliably because its almost hitscan, with its current velocity.
    Why is everyone ignoring the fact that this gun fires faster than the Lancer?
    Its a 0.2 seconds delay, thats less than the blink of an eye (literally)
    If you compensate, you have a tier 4 weapon. Since when did TTK matter for a BASR? Its a OHK weapon.
  10. ISKNausicaa

Yep, this was my main gripe with this change we could have warned against this had it been on the PTS, it was ill conceived to say the least.

Here is a list of pros and cons I've found after a few days of play

What does the Railjack have over the other BASRs -
    1. Slightly flatter trajectory
    2. Slightly more damage
    3. The ability to OHK infantry on exposed vehicles further than render (300m)
    4. Quieter weapon fire SFX
    5. Slightly shorter long/short reload over T3 rifles
    What does the Railjack do worse than the other long range BASRs -
    1. Worst rechamber time (2+ seconds)
    2. Lowest ammo count
    3. Lowest magazine count
    4. Massive easy to spot projectile
    5. Worst time to hit of any long range BASR under 300m, which gets progressively worse the closer you are
    6. Very hard/nonexistent drag-shot ability
    7. Delay shot causing COF bloom if crosshairs are moved in between pressing the trigger and the bullet leaving the gun,
    8. Delay shot causing issues with cloaking after taking a shot
    9. Worst quickscoping capabilities due to delay
    10. Having to stay visible longer than other BASRs
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

Have to agree with what others have stated.

The development team is a passionate group of individuals who have extremely grand dreams for the game...and their down to earth personalities make them a pleasure to talk to no matter which amongst them it is. This, however, simultaneously incorporates bias and immature behavior into the mix...such as stealth nerfs and brash moves. This update was rushed, there's no doubt about that...very little interaction with the community and extremely misconstrued ideas on what should be done based upon our feedback. What little they listened to was twisted and incorporated into a manner that doesn't reflect the ideas we pitched...resulting in this type of delay for the Railjack.

Furthermore, these rifles are a direct product of there being absolutely no place amongst the hierarchy for them. Their models, however, were done before the change to the system...resulting in their inability to actually incorporate them into places that feel right. Even the TRAP, which many Terran Republic members actually like, seems to tread upon other weapons within their arsenal...I forget the name of what it's always compared to, my apologies.

This is why I kept pushing to have them balance the rifles around 350m. Even if they didn't increase the infantry rendering range soon, it would have given us increased capabilities against Engineers on turrets and provided a future place for these rifles that actually felt right. They could have been very powerful...but weighed out by time restraints such as the Shade's original cooldown duration or a DIFFERENT sort of charge mechanic than what the Railjack currently uses that just extends the re-chambering period rather than a weird lag-like firing delay.

The development team is great...but when it boils down to it, they're pretty young gamers themselves. They're going to make mistakes, the attempt to implement a 120m range cap on headshots was a good indication of that. Where they DO shine is in their communication and willingness to change, even if only sometimes, when they make these mistakes...just as they did with that proposed rangecap.

The main problem they have is their reluctance to really make HUGE changes to mistakes they implemented. Instead, if it's overpowered, they destroy it and essentially make it worthless so no one uses it...instead of work towards actually fixing the situation.
  12. ISKNausicaa

I'm sorry but your argument makes no sense whatsoever, that delay of 0.2 removes any bullet velocity advantage that the Railjack has over the other BASRs

At 300m the travel time for a T1 rifle bullet is 0.56s, with the Railjack its 0.55s (0.35+0.2) which means to hit a target at that range you would have to lead a target by about as much as you would with a T1 rifle, worse than the T2 and T3 rifles respectively.

This gets worse the closer you get a railjack at 100m will reach the target at 0.31 seconds, at T1 rifle wlll reach it in 0.18, due to the fact that the delay doesnt decrease with range as bullet travel time does.

The reason why people consider bullet velocity to be king in terms of OHK is that it lowers the probability that your target will move in a direction you didn't anticipate because the bullet travel time was less.

When I'm leading a target, I'm taking an educated guess they will be in the position my crosshairs are at when the bullet arrives at their position, the longer the bullet takes to reach the target the higher the chance the target will re-angle/change direction/move causing my shot to miss.

I can be 100% accurate with my target positioning every time (as in get the kill if my target carried on with his current course) but still not land a kill because in that time my target decided to move his mouse 10 degrees to the right.

No amount of skill will overcome random odds, short of being clairvoyant or being able to control your targets movement, someone using this rifle will get better results using any of the other BASRs.
    • Up x 1
  13. minhalexus

Maybe you are new to the world of snipers.

0.2 seconds decide if you live or die.
    Lancer is an AV weapon, which is completely different since its meant to shoot down vehicles which are x10 (or more) larger.

Rechamber time is also longer, so basically it adds to the delay between 2 shots.

If SOE adds something like letting the user release the trigger on his will within 2 secs, after its been charged would make it decent. (something like the phaseshift)
  14. ISKNausicaa

Again my apologies, just checked VR on live, it seems you can now reliably move the crosshairs after pressing the trigger, before this after the patch dropped with the rifles moving the crosshairs after pressing the trigger would create a CoF bloom that would send your shot off target.
    It basically meant you had to lead as well as take into account the delay, the fact that you can now re-adjust the crosshairs before the bullet leaves the rifle without any sort of odd bloom, changes everything, because that 0.2 delay can now be predicted and accounted for in real time.

I can only assume this bloom issue was fixed in that maintenance patch that dropped on Friday, the same one that dropped the ammo count.

It still has many downsides (as i have already listed) but this revelation means its original main strength; its shot velocity remains intact, albeit behind a higher skill cap.
    • Up x 1
  15. LordDethir

Darn! Why couldn't they give us a camera-guided rifle? With the same Drawbacks of the Phoenix, but a better (worse) bullet velocity? That would make this so much easier.
  16. LT_Latency

That advantage is STILL the bullet speed.

The thing that makes snipers rifles start to suck at long range is the travel time of the bullet. Once the bullet start flying you have lost control of your shot and you have to HOPE you target doesn't do anything or even a perfect shot will miss.

Having a shorter bullet travel time reduces luck and the chance you target will jump, turn, stop moving or chance direction so your shot will hit.

This delay means the gun is still better at longer ranges but worse at closer ranges. Without the delay the gun would just be better and no longer a side grade
    • Up x 1
  17. DevDevBooday

That argument is nonsense, its velocity is 850 isnt it? , meaning when it fires, regardless of how long it takes is 850 isnt it? So when the bullet fires its going 850 metres per second isnt it? It flies through the air at eight hundred and fifty amazing bloody metres per second. The time delay does not interfere with this shot velocity. You all say 'the delay removes this advantage' How does it remove it exactly? You say 'because you have to lead the target more' No you dont, you click to fire, THEN lead you target, then the gun fires.

It travels at 850 metres per second, stop saying it doesnt.

All it means is you need to click before leading, rather than the other way around as with the Longshot.
    • Up x 1
  18. RockPlanetSide2

The Railjack looks cool, that's all that matters.
  19. Baccano

Ok this is for LT and DevDevBooday,

Yes the RailJack Velocity is 850m/s and yes that is very fast compared to the other rifles available however bullet velocity ultimatly means less than travel time before your target is hit.

The reason this is tripping you guys up is because normally bullet velocity directly affects time to hit your target.

I'll start by giving a couple of examples where this could cause a worse time to kill on a static non-moving target (I want to do something simple before getting to something hard)

Let's say we have two rifles Rifle A and Rifle B

Rifle A_______________________________Rifle B
    Velocity: 100m/s_______________________Velocity: 200m/s
    Fires instantly_________________________Fires after a 2 second delay

Which rifle will kill a target at 100m faster if both weapons are fired at the same time?

Let's do the math:

Rifle A fires it's bullet, the bullet travels to the target 100m away in 1 second killing the target. In this scenario the rifle has a TTK of 1 second. Deductively the target if able to move has 1 second to change it's position relative to the shooter's aim point.

Rifle B fires it's bullet, a 2 second delay happens, the bullet travels to the target 100m away in .5 seconds killing the target. In this scenario the rifle has a TTK of 2.5 seconds (Firing Delay 2 seconds + travel time .5 seconds). Deductively the target if able to move has 2.5 seconds to change it's position relative to the shooter's aim point.

So even though Rifle B has 100% more bullet velocity it take 250% longer to kill a stationary target and the target now has 250% more time to zigzag and throw off any chance you have of hitting him.

"But SideWinder," you say "The differences between the RailJack and the other rifles is not nearly that bad"

To that I would say, "You're right it's not that bad but, here is a link to the actual differences of the .2 sec delay Railjack compared with the other rifles"

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/fix-the-railjack-now.175338/page-3

Mid way down Vahpell has graciously given a chart that illustrates what these differences equate to.

The most telling of which is that the Longshot will hit and Kill (if a headshot) at the 130m mark and under before the Railjack Bullet Leaves The Barrel.

Go check that distance out in the VR for reference.

So what does that mean?

If you and I stare at each other at the 100m mark and fire both our rifles at each others heads at the same time my Longshot will kill you before your RailJack's bullet leaves the barrel leaving me alive and you dead (no weird latency withstanding).

As for the Long distance theory people keep spouting that the RailJack is better for?

Every other Sniper Rifle comes out on top for bullet time to hitting target up to the 299m mark for the Bolt Driver, the 400m mark for the LA-80, and the 500m+ mark for the Longshot.

If you have any further confusion about this please ask and I wil answer any question I am able to.

- SideWinder
    • Up x 4
  20. WolfA4

While realistically 200ms is about the time it takes to blink your eye it's compounded by your lag. So if you ping at 100ms and want to use the Railjack it's like having a 300ms ping every time you shoot. It's pretty jarring to go from nearly imperceptible latency to suddenly 300ms.
    • Up x 1